Status: just getting started.

Home.

Back In the Swing of Things

"Pierce, it's in one of the boxes, just keep digging." Mollie begged her younger brother over the phone as she sat in her office trying to fit her lunch break into 10 minutes. Seeing emergent patients was not what she wanted to do on her only day off but there she was still in her office on a Friday at noon.

The twenty-something who had probably slept 4 hours groaned, "Mols, I don't see it. Can't you just ask Sid to get you a new one?"

"No P, I cannot. Are you sure it's not in there?"

"Are you sure you didn't burn it? I don't see any box..." Mollie rolled her eyes stuffing another forkful of salad into her mouth. As she chewed she finally heard an "aha" from the other end of the line. "Found it. Damn, it's wrinkly."

"Just toss it in the dryer, and be at my place by 5 please."

"Will do, I am going back to sleep now." Pierce said through a yawn, Mollie wished him good sleep and looked at the clock above her desk. Only a few more hours, she'd be home by 4, ready by 5, and at the arena by 6.

At 5:09 she was standing in her kitchen holding onto the marble counter top wearing black jeans, a white  shirt, a jean jacket, and black boots. Her nails were tapping on the countertop waiting for Pierce to walk through the door wearing his ratty 5 year old jersey.

At 5:13 the front door burst open and in he strolled, the almighty jersey paired with jeans and Sperry's. Looking his outfit up and down Mollie laughed out loud, "You do realize you're not a frat boy anymore right?"

The 25 year old rolled his eyes, "Shut up," he then tossed a wad of black and gold at his older sister setting a cardboard box down on the ground as the heavy door slammed behind him, "Take this old thing and lets go."

Clutching the jersey in her hand Mollie took a peek inside at the tag, the black ink was faded but she knew exactly what it had once read. "I love you " scrawled in Sidney's chicken scratch. It was the way he had first told her that he loved her. And it hadn't taken him long to say it, just a few months and she felt he same way.

But after knowing one another for so long at that point it was just finally letting it out, they were both so in love it was like they were bursting at the seams.

After running her finger across the faded letters a moment longer Mollie came back to reality, turned off all of her lights and grabbed her purse before following Pierce out of the apartment.

Downstairs the two hopped into Mollie's Audi and followed the evening traffic towards the arena. Parked quickly in VIP lot the two had time to grab dinner in the concourse enjoying their time away from medicine.

Mollie, always a people watcher eyeballed the swarms of Penguin fans walking by the table she was holding down as Pierce fetched another round of beers. There were hundreds of people wearing #87 jerseys and that made her smile as she looked down at her own jersey resting on top of her purse.

As a horn sounded deeper in the arena Pierce reappeared sliding a plastic cup towards his sister, "You ready to head up? Or do you want to go take a peek at the ice?"

Mollie shrugged and looked down at her feet where the black and gold fabric was resting, "Lets go check out the lower bowl for a sec."

Pierce grinned over the top of his cup watching as she leaned down to grab the jersey slipping it on overtop of her long sleeve shirt. "You're up to something, aren't you."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Mollie chided as she hopped off the stool she had been sitting on, slinging her bag over her shoulder and draped her coat across her arm. Lastly she picked up her fresh glass of beer and nodded her head towards the nearest entrance of the bowl, "Come on, let's go watch some hockey."

Inside the lower bowl hockey fans were alive with excitement and the black Penguins jerseys were swarming around with the bright orange of the Oilers skating around at the opposite end. While Pierce marveled at their speed and skill, Mollie scanned for the back of #87.

A smirk drew across her face when she saw him low on the ice next to Kris Letang stretching as per usual. She watched him for a moment more before a small voice came from beside her. "Papa!"

Mollie looked up to find Veronique Fleury with her eldest daughter Estelle standing on the ledge of the glass, "I thought that was you," the woman commented before nodding at Mollie's shirt, "that looks familiar."

The doctor blushed, "Yeah this old thing, I never thought it would see the light of day again."

"I take it things are going well then?" the French woman asked as she held her daughter up against the glass to get a better view of her father in the goal.

Mollie shrugged her shoulders, "We're being friendly, our past is our past."

"Good. We're glad to have you back, y'know?"

The young doctor smiled and wrapped her arm around the beautiful European, "Feels good to be back."

As the two women watched the men skate among the ice Mollie watched Sidney intensely after a few minutes she finally caught his eye. A look of surprise filled his caramel eyes and a huge grin curled upon his lips. Once he was in front of her Mollie shot him a wink as he knocked his gloved hand against the glass. Mollie laughed as she read Sidney's lips his voice lost in the arena's loud music, "Nice shirt".

Mollie shrugged, "It's okay I guess."

Sidney just laughed and waived at the Fleury girls before looking back at Mollie, "See you after?"

She smiled and nodded her head knocking her knuckle against the glass as Sid did the same on the other side. Mollie's cheeks rose in temperature when she noticed that both Pierce and Vero were staring at her.

"So, that looked a lot more than just friendly." Pierce commented knocking into his sister as they climbed the stairs out of the lower bowl heading towards their seats for the evening.

The woman rolled her green eyes and continued weaving through the crowd, "It's nothing, old habits die hard."

"Oh please, you two are being naïve."

Mollie stopped at their row and plopped down in her seat glaring at her younger brother, "I do not need life advice from the kid who has a fear of commitment."

Sensing he was about to get a lecture about his track record with girls Pierce took a large gulp of his beer, "Truce. I won't say anything else."

"Fine by me."

And he didn't. They dropped the subject and let their conversation flow to other things like the game, their careers, and the fact that Pierce had finally come to terms with living in his own apartment rather than subleasing Mollie's.

As the game wore on and the Penguins were up 2-1 on the Oilers Pierce's phone began to ring, he answered with the familiar, "Dr. Holden" that both Mollie and their father used. She tried to eavesdrop on his conversation but with the arena noise she was unable to tell what was going on on the end.

With Pierce's last words, "I'll be there in 20." she knew something big was up.

"Mol, you won't believe what I'm about to see!" Mollie gave him an excited look egging him to continue, "A Pitt basketball player just broke his tib/fib wide open Kevin Ware style. I'm going into the surgery!"

"That's awesome! For you, not him obviously." Mollie cheered.

"Yeah, so I gotta go, catch a cab or something." Pierce stood grabbing his jacket from the back of his seat as his sister dug in her purse for her car keys. She tossed them at him as soon as she pulled them from her bag, "Here take my car, I'll grab an Uber."

Pierce grinned holding the keys to the Audi in his hand, "You're the best, tell Sid good game for me."

Mollie nodded, "I will," she toughened her glare, "Please be careful with my car."

"Of course." Pierce winked before sprinting up the stairs and most likely out of the building. Turning her attention back to the ice Mollie watched as the clock ticked down signaling the end of the second period.

As fans cleared to wander the concourse during intermission Mollie looked around at the balconies of the suites until she found the one she was looking for. Blondes and brunettes filled the area many of the women holding children to their chests.

She didn't want to sit alone but she also didn't know how well her presence would be accepted in the WAGs box either.

Throwing caution to the wind Mollie slipped her jersey over her head, fluffed up her curls and grabbed her denim jacket from the chair back. As she climbed the stairs towards the concourse she tucked the jersey into her purse and headed towards the elevator that would take her to the suite level.

Outside the family suite's door Mollie stood in a power stance of sorts trying to gain the courage to open the door and walk inside. As she chanted "you can do this" over and over in her head the door to the box pushed open and out came the blonde beauty that was Malin Hornqvist.

Stunned to find her long lost friend standing outside the door the blonde stood back clutching a hand to her chest, "Mollie, hi."

"Hey," Mollie chuckled, "I uhh, how are you?"

"I'm, well we're good. Are you coming in?" she gestured towards the door of the room and Mollie bit down on her lip.

"Well, I was going to, and then I just couldn't open the door."

The blonde shook her head, "How long have you been standing out here?"

"Almost 10 minutes."

Malin held her hand up ready to push open the door, "Come on, we're not mad at you Mol, you don't have to hide from us."

"Okay."

She followed the Swedish beauty through the door and heads turned as the families inside realized she wasn't returning alone. Many of the women, those that Mollie had known during her time as a member of the elite club waved at her and smiled. The younger ones, those who had come during her time away stared in awe at the strange woman parading through the room. At the far end towards the balcony of the suite Mollie saw her two closest companions grinning at her.

With her arm now slung around Mollie's shoulder Malin stopped in front of Veronique and Catherine. With a smile she told the duo in front of her, "I do believe this one belongs to you two."

Catherine looked from Malin to Mollie, "I guess we'll take her."

"Good, we don't want her running away from us again." Malin winked at the brunette who just shook her head softly.

"I'll try not too." Mollie joked as the blonde released her pressing a quick kiss to her cheek.

"Welcome back, beautiful. We've all missed you, especially that Captain of ours."

Mollie blushed looking around the women in front of her to the ice where the Pens were now skating around preparing for the third period, "So I've heard."

After Malin walked away fetching her daughter from the playpen in the corner of the room Mollie joined Catherine, Vero and their children on the balcony of the suite. Holding a snoozing Scarlett Fleury in her arms Mollie smiled to herself as the game played out below. "Y'know, the baby looks good on you."

Mollie looked down at the infant in her arms then up at the child's mother, "Maybe one day."

"Mol, no offence but you are almost 30." Catherine chimed in.

Mollie was fully aware of her age and she was reminded of it by her mother, grandmother, and aunts frequently that a woman of her age should be settling down. "I know, but I'm one step ahead of the game."

"What do you mean?" Vero asked leaning around the blonde in the middle.

About to admit a secret she'd kept to herself for so long Mollie sucked in her lips, "Well during my OB rotation, I kind of had some of my eggs frozen."

Shocked at Mollie's confession Catherine gasped, "No way! Really?"

"Yeah, a few of us did it. It's a good investment for women who aren't sure when they'll be starting a family."

"Wait a second, does Sidney know?" Vero asked with a grin on her face.

Mollie shook her head side to side, "You two are the only ones who know."

"OH MY GOD." Catherine looked to Vero then back to Mollie, "You have tube babies and you didn't even tell your boyfriend at the time?!

"Okay first of all, calm down, second they're just eggs not tube babies. They are not fertilized, no part of Sid was involved in the process."

"First she comes home looking all hot and badass in all these leather jackets, now she says she has tube babies?!" Catherine grumbled to Vero as Mollie chuckled in her seat.

The brunette held up her hands, "Okay, easy with the names. I am not a badass."

"Next she's going to tell us she's tatted up, V." The blonde giggled and Mollie cringed.

Veronique gasped, "No way."

Mollie shrugged, "Just one, it's small."

The two French women just looked at one another in awe as the end of the game horn sounded signaling the end of the game and the women's conversation. Before Catherine or Veronique could ask anymore questions about Mollie's lifestyle changes the doctor stood adjusting the infant in her arms. "Come along ladies, pick your chins up off the ground."

With the arena lights back up and all of the kids and bags packed up the herd of women and children headed towards the elevator that would take them all downstairs. In her head Mollie told herself that she would stay long enough to tell the team good job and then off she would go.

But alas, her plans never seem to go as planned once she gets in that elevator.

She was still standing out in the hallway dancing around with a rejuvenated Estelle Fleury and Alex Letang as their fathers and "Uncle Sid" appeared from the dressing room. Each child had ahold of one of her hands spinning in circles when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Mollie turned to let go of the two kids who ran towards their fathers but was met with Sidney smiling at her with wet hair and the top button of his dress shirt undone. "Nice moves, squirt."

"Thanks, good game by the way." She straightened up letting her t-shirt fall back into place.

Sidney looked around the hallway before speaking again, "Where's Pierce?"

"Oh, he um had to go to the hospital. Huge surgery or something, he told me to tell you good game though."

Sidney nodded his head watching as Mollie pulled out her phone from her back pocket, "What are you doing?"

"Uber, Pierce took my car." He reached out and slid the iPhone out of her hand, "Nope, come on doc, you're not getting into a car with a stranger."

"Sid, I do it all the time. It's fine."

"Not tonight you're not." Sidney stood in front of her waving her cell phone around, "Let's go."

Mollie grumbled walking towards him, "You're ridiculous."

"Yeah, it's my middle name." Sidney joked slinging his arm around her shoulder as they headed down the hall and towards the door to the players parking lot.

Sitting in the passenger's seat of his Range Rover Mollie thought back to just a few days ago, sitting in silence all the way to her apartment. So overwhelmed with emotion that she couldn't speak.

As Sidney slid into the driver's seat Mollie straight up told him, "Hey, I'm sorry for the way I acted the other night, I shouldn't have been so," she stopped talking trying decide between the words shocked and appalled and he started.

"Surprised?" Sidney laughed, "It's fine, I kind of figured Nat had told you anyway. Besides, I was the one who was short."

"Short?"

Sidney rolled his lips before speaking, "You told me that you dated someone and I just, well I couldn't think of anything to say. Oh, it was all I could get out."

"You really didn't know about him?" Mollie asked and Sidney shook his head, "Surprising, Nat and Mario knew."

"Believe it or not, after awhile they finally stopped talking about you around me."

Mollie nodded her head, "Same here, I even stopped answering Vero and Cath's calls. We really were a mess."

The man agreed but smiled over at her as the car stopped at a red light, "We were, but y'know somehow I think we're going to make it."

"I think so too."

Sidney's car came to a stop in the visitor parking of Mollie's building, as she unclicked her seatbelt her mouth spoke before brain could even think. "Do you want to come up?"

"You sure?" Sidney questioned.

Mollie, at a loss for why she had asked him up in the first place just shrugged, "Unless you're tired, it's fine if you want to just go home."

"I'm not really tired, usually takes me awhile to wind down after a game like that." Mollie smiled and nodded along, "But you already knew that."

"I did."

He shut off the SUV and jumped out locking the door as he followed Mollie into the complex for the first time in what felt like forever. The building was beautiful, one of the most sought after living spaces in the city and Sidney was sure he could find his way to Mollie's door blindfolded as she had been living in her loft for over 5 years now.

She unlocked the door and pushed it open tripping as she walked inside in the dark, as she flipped the lights on she noticed the cardboard box Pierce had brought was still laying in the middle of the walkway.

"What is that?" Sid asked as Mollie kicked the box into the living room closing the door behind him and shrugging out of his coat.

"I don't know," and that was the truth Mollie had no idea what her brother had dropped off earlier that evening. The box was unlabeled just an old, brown cardboard box with the sides tucked into one another.

As Mollie wandered into the kitchen she kicked off her shoes, laid her jacket over the back of one of the bar chairs that encircled her kitchen counter she thought about all that could be inside the box.

Sidney, who had shed his suit jacket sat on the couch also stared at the box wondering to himself what could be inside. He thought by now all of her things from Baltimore would have been moved back.

When Mollie reappeared from the kitchen she handed him a bottle of water with a glass of wine in her hand for herself. "I assumed you still don't drink much after games."

He nodded twisting the top off the bottle, "Yeah, no I don't, so are you going to open it?"

"Why? So whatever live animal is inside it can attack the both of us?" Mollie joked taking a sip of her wine.

Sliding down onto the ground beside Mollie and the box Sidney nudged her forward, "Go on, if it's a rabid animal I'll sacrifice one of your thousand throw pillows for protection."

"So chivalrous, Crosby."

He smirked, "I try."

He watched as she scooted across the wooden floor her tiny legs straddled around the box, her fingers gripped the edges and pulled them outward. A slight cloud of dust flew out as Mollie peered inside, she shook her head with an airy laugh as she traced her fingers over the collection of items inside.

"So what's in there?" Sidney asked unable to see inside the mysterious box.

She smiled as she looked up at him, "It's us."
♠ ♠ ♠
so what's in the box? ;) - Al

Ps. YOU ALL ROCK AND YOUR COMMENTS ARE SOOOO THOUGHTFUL AND I LOVE READING THEM!! Keep em coming y'all :)