Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter Ten

Today was the official day of mine and Matt’s first date and everyone in my life was excited about it. I tried to not make a big deal about going on my first date in really like ten years since Derek and I dated four years prior to getting married. However, everyone else was buzzing about the date. My day basically consisted of answering the same questions over and over again which made myself even more nervous than I was when I woke up this morning. I had left the shop early to go get ready when my cell phone vibrated and I saw I had a text message from Matt.

Hey beautiful. Can’t wait to see you soon. Dress comfortably.

I smiled lightly at the text and waited until I pulled into my driveway to respond to the text message. Ever since I agreed to go out with Matt, the texts between us have been flirtier and less of a friendship conversation.

Why hello stranger ;) Can’t wait to see you either. I’m excited to see what you have planned. See you soon.

I quickly sent the text and headed inside to get ready. I knew I had a couple of hours before Matt showed up so I decided to try and take my time to get ready. I showered, spent a good thirty minutes ripping apart my closet looking for an outfit that I considered comfortable and showed that I didn’t try to hard but knew in my head I did. I curled my straight hair and spent a good hour on my makeup before I looked up at the clock to see that I still had thirty minutes to kill. I sighed to myself nerves starting to build even more than before when my phone started ringing and I smiled lightly when I saw my best friend through everything, Noah, calling. I quickly answered and I smiled the minute I heard her voice.

“Breathe Mel,” she said, “You and Matt are going to have fun. You just need to be yourself. Don’t put any pressure on yourself. You and Matt get along great it’s going to be just like that.”

I laughed lightly and smiled as I made my way downstairs to the kitchen.

“How did you know I needed a pep talk?” I asked smiling feeling the butterflies take flight.

“My best friend telepathy kicked in,” she said and I could hear the smile on her face, “Even Lennox says that Auntie Mel is going to make that boy fall in love with her.”

I met Noah when we were in preschool and we have been best friends ever since. She knew everything about me and vice versa. She was there for me when I went through my divorce and I was there when she lost her husband while he was deployed overseas and she moved back home with her two-year-old little girl. We kept each other sane and I was glad that she was calming me down right now.

“Thanks girls,” I said smiling, “I’m just so nervous and excited all at the same time. It’s the first time in a long time that I’ve been actually interested in dating. I know it’s been a year and I should’ve moved on by now but it’s just been hard.”

“I know sister,” Noah replied, “but have fun and enjoy yourself. Don’t think too much.”

I just laughed and grinned when I heard Matt’s car pull up to the house.

“Hey, I have to go,” I said, “He just pulled up.”

“Have fun. Love you,” Noah said, “Call me and let me know how it goes.”

“Deal,” I said, “Love you.”

I then hung up the phone as the doorbell rang and I took and deep breath and made my way to the front door. I pulled open my red painted door and smiled at the sight that I saw. Matt had shaved and had gotten a haircut. He was wearing jeans, a button up shirt making sure his colorful tattoos showed and Chuck Taylors. He had ditched his ballcap and I was impressed.

“Hey,” I said smiling lightly at him.

“Hey yourself,” he said smiling and pulling out a small bouquet of flowers for me, “These are for you.”

“Why thank you,” I said blushing lightly and let him inside the house, “Let me put these in a vase.”

Matt just smiled lightly and followed me into the kitchen. Val had met me yesterday for our playdate instead of Matt claiming that he had to plan for our date and I was glad that I got to see him finally. I quickly put the flowers away and turned around to find Matt smiling at me which made me super self-conscious.

“What?” I asked looking over everything that I was wearing.

“Nothing,” he chuckled lightly, “You look amazing.”

“Thanks,” I smiled feeling myself blush, “You clean up pretty well yourself.”

Matt’s smile widened and we decided to get our date started. I followed Matt to his truck and like a gentleman he held the truck door open for me while I climbed in. The minute he got in the car, he held up his hand which made me stop the question that was about to come out.

“No questions about where we are going or what we are doing tonight,” he said grinning at me, “It’s supposed to be a surprise and I’m not changing my mind so don’t even try.”

“You’ve been talking to Val too much,” I muttered crossing my arms across my chest.

My response made Matt laugh and he gave me a smile.

“I promise it’s nothing bad or ridiculous,” he said as he continued to drive, “I just think it’s different from what you’re used to.”

“What?” I asked, “Dinner and the boardwalk?”

“No way,” he said, “I’m way more creative than that.”

“I hope so Sanders,” I said teasingly, “I have high expectation for you since you’re a big bad rock star.”

“Oh, you better be ready,” he said wiggling his eyebrows.

The ride considered of easy conversation like we normally have when we’re alone. We talked about little things like how him and the guys were starting to record a new album and I talked about some tattoos I had just recently completed. When I realized where we were going, I just smirked at him and Matt was just smiling.

“We’re heading back to your house?” I asked, “I mean come on Matt you at least have to buy me dinner before you can ask if I’ll sleep with you.”

Matt just laughed at my response and shook his head.

“Yes we’re headed back to my house,” he said, “but I’m showing off my fancy cooking skills.”

“Fancy cooking skills?” I asked him raising an eyebrow at him.

Matt grinned at me and then quickly got out of the truck to help me out before I could even open the passenger door.

“Where was the gentleman Matt when we were just friends?” I teased as we walked into his mansion as I called it, “I had to get out of that truck by myself for the last couple months.”

Matt again laughed at me and shrugged his shoulders.

“I felt like being nice tonight,” he said, “Got make sure you want to go on another date with me.”

That caused me to laugh and shake my head as Matt grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together. He opened his front door and the minute I walked into the foyer, I smiled lightly as I could hear one of songs I had told him that was stuck in my head since they played it at the local coffee shop I had been going to. I followed him more into the house and I had to just shake my head to find that Matt had made one of our favorite go to dinners when we had playdates and everyone stayed for dinner.

“Pretty creative isn’t it?” he said grinning and I just laughed lightly shaking my head as he helped me sit down.

“I would have to agree,” I said smiling at the man in front of me, “Kraft Mac and Cheese and Dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets are pretty creative.”

“And the plus side is I have wine to offer you this time,” Matt grinned as he told me to stay put and he would be right back.

Matt quickly returned with wine for me and a beer for him and I followed his lead with dinner. Dinner went well and the conversation continued to flow easily between me and Matt. We talked about the therapy session that the boys and I went to and I asked about how the boys were doing since we were back to a pretty normal routine with our play dates again. I was excited to see how the rest of the night went and I smiled when we were finished. Once dinner was finished he cleaned off the dining room table and led me to the living room where we had dessert waiting for us. Again he remembered me telling him last week that I had been craving chocolate covered strawberries and this specific ice cream that I could only find a grocery store. Before I could respond to him, Matt kissed my temple and I could feel my cheeks heat up. It was nice to know that someone actually wanted to pursue a romantic relationship with me and I was shocked with how comfortable Matt was showing me more affection than he had in the past. As the night progressed it felt nice that things didn’t seem forced, we had picked out a movie that didn’t have a PG rating and things felt normal. I hadn’t felt like that in such a long time I didn’t even realize how relaxed I was when I was leaning against Matt. I was taken out of my thoughts when Matt nudged me lightly and I looked at him and he was smiling at me.

“What?” I asked feeling self-conscious, thinking I had missed something he said because I was in my own head.

“Nothing,” he said, “What were you thinking about?”

“That it’s nice to know that this, whatever this is, doesn’t seemed forced or awkward or weird,” I said smiling lightly at him, “I haven’t felt like this since I had Zander.”

“Me too,” Matt said smiling down at me, “It feels right.”

“Yeah,” I said smiling down at my hands.

When I looked back up at Matt, he had moved closer to me and lightly put his hand on my cheek. I could tell he was debating on asking me something when he decided to just go for it.

“Melrose can I kiss you?” Matt asked after a small pause.

I smiled lightly and nodded my head. Matt then lowered his head closer to mine and our lips met in the middle. When our lips met, I couldn’t explain what I felt right away but it didn’t scare me nor put me in a panicked state. It was what I would assume magic would feel like. It was effortless and I could forget all my worries about the boys, Derek, the shop, all of it. When our lips parted I slowly opened my eyes to see Matt looking down at me with this unreadable expression except this small smile on face.

“I should’ve done that a long time ago,” he said and I just smiled up at him agreeing with him in my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a long needed update! Sorry everyone! Between working and moving, things have been hectic in my life for sure. Thank you all for being patience with me!

Let me know what you all think!