Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter Two

Last night was absolutely crazy and I decided that I was not the best parent as I could be. I totally let the kids have junk food and sugar and that came back to bite me in the ass as in I didn’t get to bed until two in the morning. Normally I was in bed by at least eleven at the latest, so when my alarm went off at seven a.m. I was completely dead from lack of sleep. I was about to ignore the alarm and get another hour of sleep since I knew the kids wouldn’t wake up until around nine but the phone call I received did not allow me too. I sighed laying in bed and grabbed the phone off my nightstand and saw that it was surprisingly Derek. I slid the green answer button and put the phone up to my ear.

“Hello,” I said hoping I didn’t sound like I had literally just woke up five minutes ago.

“Hey Mel,” I heard Derek’s voice, “How are my boys?”

“Oh, you mean the boys you haven’t called in a little over two months?” I asked sitting up in bed, “Yeah they’re doing great.”

“Mel,” Derek sighed, “I’ve been. . .”

“Yeah Derek I get it busy with the baby and the business,” I said rolling my eyes, “What did you need.”

“I needed to talk to you about the boys’ visit,” he said and I sighed knowing the words to come out of Derek’s mouth next.

“Okay,” I said pinching the bridge of my nose trying not to lose my cool.

“I don’t know if I can do. . .” Derek started.

“Derek if you cancel on these boys I swear,” I started cutting him off.

“I just can’t do it Melrose!” he exclaimed, “I have a convention I have to go to. Dalia is having the baby soon. I have to be there for her and the shop. When am I supposed to fit the boys in there?!”

“I don’t know Derek but that is not my problem,” I said, “You’re a father you make time for them. If you are cancelling you will be telling them over skype and I need an email explaining why. This conversation is over Derek. I need to go.”

I then hung up the phone tired of hearing the same excuses coming from him and I sighed rubbing my hands over my face. It was way too early to deal with kind of shit but I just assumed this was how my Saturday morning was going to start. I laid in bed maybe another five minutes just staring at the ceiling debating on how my ex-husband could be so fucked up. I had two beautiful children who made me proud of them every day and I could not understand why Derek didn’t want to spend time with them. Jace was in second grade and Zander was in pre-school. Jace picked up learning guitar so quick and he even learned it being left-hand, while Zander played drums like it was nobody’s business. Jace’s reading level was already at a fourth-grade level and he was in the talented and gifted program just like Zander who was already reading before kindergarten. They were so accomplished now and they really were great kids. I sighed shaking my head in disappointment at Derek and made my way to get ready for the day. I decided against the shower since the kids were still sleeping and I needed to get breakfast started. I put on just a simple outfit of jean shorts and a tank top to keep cool from the California heat and threw my messy mop of black hair into a messy bun after I put on the five-minute makeup routine I had for myself. After having two kids, my usual makeup routine became very short and I loved this routine way more. I quietly made my way down the stairs and I smiled lightly and shook my head to see that the four kids in my living room were already up and glued to some show on TV.

“Pancakes or waffles?” I asked standing in the doorway startling them all.

“Waffles,” they said and I nodded my head.

“Waffles it is,” I said as I headed into the kitchen and started pulling things out of the cupboard placing them on the counter.

I was grabbing eggs and bacon out of my refrigerator when my phone started ringing again and I just laughed lightly. People were already up at seven a.m. in the morning on a Saturday and it just floored me. People needed lives and needed to sleep in. I picked up the phone from the counter and placed it between my shoulder and ear.

“Hello?” I said as I was grabbing things from the fridge.

“Um. . . is this Melrose McKinley?” a raspy male voice asked tentatively on the other side.

“This is she,” I said, “Can I ask who is calling?”

I had placed the eggs and milk on the counter and grabbed a pad that I had just in case this was someone calling for a tattoo appointment.

“Oh, thank god,” he said in relieved tone, “This is Cash and River’s dad Matt Sanders. Val gave me your number I hope that’s okay.”

“Oh yeah,” I said smiling and shaking my head lightly at Val, “That’s completely fine. What can I do for you?”

“This is going to sound super ridiculous and probably rude but do you mind if I come over and eat breakfast with you all? I haven’t seen my kids in months and I’m just kind of impatient to see them,” he said nervously and I just laughed and nodded my head.

“Of course,” I said smiling lightly to myself, “I’ll shoot you the address and wait for you to get here to start on breakfast. I hope you like waffles though. The boys all requested them.”

“Waffles are perfect,” he said, “I’ll be over shortly then. Thank you for understanding and not thinking I’m some creepy overprotected dad.”

“Hey, you’ve been on tour for a while I completely understand,” I said, “I just sent you the address so I’ll see you in a little bit.”

We both hung up the phone and I decided to let the boys know that Matt was going to come over.

“Hey guys,” I said as I stood back in the doorway of the living room and the boys all looked at me concerned.

“What’s wrong Momma?” Jace asked concern written all over his face.

“Nothing’s wrong baby I just wanted to let you boys know that Matt’s coming over for breakfast,” I said, “He couldn’t wait to see Cash and River and I just wanted to give you all a heads up.”

“Dad’s coming over here!?” River said and I could see his face light up just like Cash’s did.

“Yeah, he is,” I said, “So if you boys want to start. . .”

“Let’s go get ready!” Cash exclaimed and I watched all four boys rush up the stairs to change and I laughed.

I started cleaning up the mess that was made in the living room and was about halfway done folding up the massive amounts of blankets that made their way from my linen closet to the floor when the doorbell rang. I was making my way to the door when I heard four different sets of footsteps rushing down the stairs to the front door.

“We got it Momma!” I heard Jace’s voice and laughed as I turned to see the boys already starting to open the door.

“Boys,” I started but I was too late as I heard Cash and River exclaim ‘Daddy’ and watched them throw themselves at the man on the other side of the door.

I just shook my head but smiled at how excited Cash and River were to see their father. Zander and Jace were the same way when they saw Derek but this excitement was slowly being seen less and less since Derek’s constant excuses to not see them. I opened the door slightly and smiled at the man that was standing on my front porch. While they were hugging I was able to take in what he was wearing. It wasn’t very fancy and I smiled because Val did tell me he was the man version of me. He had on a cut off shirt of a giant skull and basketball shorts. He had sunglasses that adorned his face and a baseball cap that was backwards. He also had what I considered to be a tour beard going. Val said he was slightly scruffy when they left for tour and I assumed he decided to keep growing it. I was a fan of the band he was a part of but I agreed with Val, clean cut Matt looked better. Once the boys were done hugging Matt, he looked up at smiled lightly at me.

“Matt Sanders,” he said sticking his hand out.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, “Melrose McKinley. Come on in. Boys please go finish cleaning up the living room and I’ll get started on breakfast okay.”

“But Miss Melrose,” Cash started and I smiled got down to his level.

“How about this you clean up the living room and I’ll make chocolate chip waffles,” I said.

“With whip cream and chocolate syrup?” Cash countered and I smiled and laughed.

Cash and Zander were definitely best friends that was for sure.

“Deal,” I said sticking my hand out and he shook it, “Come on Zander we need to go clean so we can have good waffles.”

Jace and River followed suit and I just looked up at Matt and smiled lightly.

“Are you sure that you’re okay with that?” Matt asked immediately, “I’m sorry. . .”

“Matt it’s fine,” I said smiling at him, “Cash and Zander have become quite the negotiation team since we moved.”

Matt just laughed at my response and we headed towards the kitchen.

“Can I get you anything to drink? Coffee, water, milk, juice?” I asked, “Maybe coffee since it’s a ridiculous hour on a Saturday?”

“Coffee please,” Matt said as I grabbed a mug and filled it up.

“Help yourself to creamer or milk in the fridge and I have sugar on the counter,” I said as I handed him the mug.

“Thanks,” he said as he headed to the fridge for some creamer and I got started on making breakfast, “And again thanks for not thinking I was being needy. I just am really excited to spend time with the boys.”

“I totally get it,” I said smiling up at him, “Being away from your kids for so long must be hard. I would totally be the same way. Also, it’s nice to finally officially meet you. Val has talked nonstop about you.”

“I could say the same thing,” Matt said smiling, “Val keeps telling me that we’re going to get along great.”

“Same here,” I said smiling lightly at him, “So I’ll take her word for it since for some reason has not been wrong since I moved here.”

“Yeah, she was telling me your originally from Huntington,” he said as he took a seat at the breakfast bar, “You lived in LA for a little bit and just moved back about two months after we started touring.”

“That would be correct,” I said smiling, “I’m a few years younger than yourself but I totally remember your band in high school. Was a fan then and still am one.”

“Seriously,” he said shocked, “That’s awesome. I am very happy to hear that.”

“No problem,” I said smiling, “So I take it you enjoyed sleeping in a real bed last night.”

“You have no idea,” he said laughing lightly.

I was so glad that this was going so well. I was afraid that meeting Matt was going to be awkward as hell because we had never met personally but I was glad that conversation seemed to flow easily since he walked through my front door. We spent me making breakfast getting to know each other and I was shocked he knew who I was.

“Hey random question,” he said, “Do you remember doing a piece on one of my friends at a convention you were at?”

I smiled lightly remembering that day I did a convention in San Diego and I did two tattoos on his friends.

“I did two on two different friends of yours,” I said smiling lightly, “Zack’s back and Jimmy’s back. I’m really sorry about losing him. He was one of my favorite clients.”

“You do remember,” he said grinning, “Zack said that you wouldn’t remember because it’s been years since the tattoos.”

I just laughed and shook my head no as I was finishing up the eggs.

“I will never forget that day,” I laughed, “Zack cried like a little girl and Jimmy took it like a champ. Plus, you can tell Zack my feelings are not hurt that he didn’t become a client. I knew it was more of an impulse thing and he had an artist he always went too.”

“How did you know that?” he asked shocked.

“Brian,” I said, “I’m his tattoo artist too.”

“Well shit maybe I need to make an appointment,” he said.

I just smiled lightly and put everything on the table.

“Let me know,” I said, “I’m always willing to move things around if you want to get in now. If not I’m pretty booked for the next three months.”

“Well Val should’ve told me that you were the Melrose McKinley, well known tattoo artist,” he said, “I just assumed you were just a person who owned her own shop.”

I just smiled and responded with the opposite, “Well unfortunately I knew who you were the minute Val introduced herself.”

Matt just smiled at my comment and as I called the boys to the table and got plates made and passed around. Of course, River and Cash plopped next to their father and Zander and Jace sat next to their respected best friend at the table while I sat at the breakfast bar much to Matt’s protest. We ate and the boys were getting to know Matt when my laptop went off and I sighed knowing that it was Derek. I sighed lightly as I heard Zander run up to the computer and answer the skype call.

“Daddy!” Zander exclaimed as Jace rushed up behind him, “Hi Dalia!”

“Hey bud,” Derek said and then acknowledged Jace, “Hey Jace.”

“Hey Dad,” Jace said and I could tell he was cautious in his response.

For the past six months Derek had been cancelling visits and calls left and right and I think Jace was becoming more cautious because he always seemed to be let down by his father.

“What are you two doing?” he asked.

“Eating breakfast with Cash and River,” Zander said excited, “and Cash’s dad. Did you know he’s in a band! It’s so cool Dad!”

I could tell Matt was feeling a bit uncomfortable and I gave him an apologetic look.

“Is this a bad. . .” Derek started but Matt stood up with Cash and River.

“We’ll just head to the living room if that’s okay Mel?” Matt asked and I smiled gratefully and nodded my head.

They quickly left the room and I turned back to the computer to see that jealousy flash through Derek’s eyes and I internally rolled my eyes.

“Why’d you call so early Dad?” Jace asked, “Are you calling about when we get to come see you next week? We’re really excited to spend the weekend with you.”

“Yeah we are!” Zander said, “We’re going to get to go to the Zoo and maybe Disneyland, and the park and...”

“About that buds,” Derek started and I watched Zander and Jace’s faces fall because they knew what was coming.

“We understand,” Jace said, “You’re busy again. Maybe we can do it next month. It was nice to see you Dad.”

Before Derek could get another word in both Zander and Jace left the kitchen and I looked at Derek who was pissed at me.

“You. . .” Derek started and I cut him off immediately.

“Look Derek,” I said, “I stated nothing to them before you called. I hadn’t even had a chance to bring it up to them but they’re getting tired of this Derek. You get their hopes up and then crush them. I don’t fill their heads up with anything negative about you. And before you even accuse me of sleeping with their friends’ father you can go fly a kite. I just met him today and invited him over for breakfast because he actually wanted to see his kids.”

“Derek,” Dalia said and put her hand on his arm and gave me an apologetic look.

Shockingly after the divorce and their wedding, Dalia and I had a massive hash out session at a mutual friend’s house and we were now on speaking terms. It drove Dalia just as nuts as it did me that Derek seemed like he didn’t want to spend time with Zander and Jace and tried to make things happen.

“Don’t touch me!” he exclaimed and pulled his arm away from her and stormed out of the room and we both sighed.

“If you’re okay with it maybe we can have the kids when he gets back at the end of the month,” she said looking at the closed door, “I’ll come get them myself. You and I can make arrangements. I know the boys were really looking forward to this weekend and you and I both know they need to see each other.”

I smiled lightly at the brunette on the other side of my computer screen and shrugged my shoulders.

“I don’t know Dalia,” I said, “I’ll definitely think about it because you are right but if Derek doesn’t want to work at it I don’t know how much more of the forcing I can take. I will let you know for sure though. I’m sorry this all happened I know it’s not good for the baby.”

“Baby Jones and I can handle this,” she said smiling, “I understand where you are coming from just let me know. Talk to you later Mel.”

“Talk to you later Dee,” I said and hung up the call and ran my hand over my face.

“Ex-husband?” I heard Matt’s voice and nodded my head.

“Unfortunately, and I am so sorry you had to see that,” I said, “I didn’t know. . .”

“No, it’s completely fine,” he said, “I’m sorry you have to go through that. I sometimes forget how lucky Val and I are since we’re so flexible with things.”

“That you are,” I said smiling lightly, “But on a different note, how about I send you home with leftovers.”