Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter Four

The rest of work went pretty well, after spending fifteen minutes convincing Brian and Michelle that I was okay and apologizing profusely about what just happened we got to tattooing. We talked and I got to know Michelle better and Brian and I caught up since the last time I saw him was months before the divorce was finalized. They loved their tattoos and I was glad that they liked them. With the tattoos they wanted, I always made sure they came out and well as they could because they were so important. Once they left, I was cleaning up my station when Charlie came in.

“Want to tell me what happened?” he asked, “I already heard what happened in here from Brian, Josh, and Lenny.”

“He’s going to take me to court. We’ll see what happens. He wanted the kids and he already cancelled his weekend. We had plans and I’m done changing them last minute. I promised that I would take Zander and Jace to the zoo tomorrow and honestly, I don’t think they want to see their dad right now. Last week he told them he couldn’t have them this weekend and he crushed them Charlie. Absolutely crushed them because this is month two of them not seeing him in person. I don’t know what to do anymore,” I sighed feeling like the world was on my shoulders.

Charlie was three years older than me and has been there for me since I told him that I was pregnant with Jace. All of my family was really supportive when we told them that I was pregnant but Charlie seemed to be the one constant person in my life not counting my mom and step-dad. He spent two weeks helping out at my house after I had Jace and Zander and made sure he visited often before we moved back to Huntington. Most people were intimidated by him since he stood 6 feet 3 inches tall, a massive beard, and was covered in tattoos but he was an absolute teddy bear and my protector since the day I was born.

“I’m sorry Mel,” he sighed, “I wish I had an answer to your dilemma but maybe you ask him to just relieve his rights to you. You and I both know it would be easier on everyone. However, I understand you not wanting to because you don’t want to cut out Jace and Zander’s father out of their lives. Maybe things will work out for themselves you know.”

“Hopefully,” I sighed and looked at the clock to see it was now four in the afternoon, “Well as much as I want to continue to have this heart to heart with my big brother I have kiddos to go get.”

“How are things with the lead singer of one of my favorite bands?” he asked wiggling his eyebrows.

“Jesus Christ,” I said rolling my eyes, “Are you and Val talking daily? I barely met the guy a week ago and everyone is assuming we’re fucking each other.”

“You’re fucking him!?” he exclaimed and I just busted out laughing because Josh and Lenny immediately rushed into the room since they were the only ones left in the shop.

“You’re fucking who?” Lenny asked and I laughed.

“No one,” I said looking at the three of them, “Calm your tits. I’m not seeing nor fucking anyone. Matt is just Cash and River’s dad. That’s it.”

Before anything else could be added the door chime for the shop went off and we all headed out to see that it was Matt with Cash, River, Jace, and Zander all in dry clothes with wet hair.

“Momma!” Zander exclaimed and ran up to hug me.

“Uncle Charlie!” Jace exclaimed and Charlie stuck his tongue out at me since Jace went to him first.

“Hey bud,” he replied as he hugged him and I hugged Zander quickly since I already knew he was going to drag Cash back to the hangout room.

Jace then decided to tell Charlie about his day with the help of River leaving Lenny, Josh, Matt, and I standing in the front part of the shop.

“Matt this is Lenny Anderson my shop manager and good friend, Josh Williams one of our artists and another good friend, and the big burly guy is my older brother Charlie. Boys this is Matt Sanders,” I said pointing to everyone.

The guys all shook hand and exchanged hellos. I then smiled at Matt who was smiling down at me.

“So, I take it our terrors were fine at the beach all day?” I asked and Matt chuckled.

“Angels all day,” he replied sarcastically, “but really they were fine. No meltdowns happened actually.”

“I’m impressed Sanders,” I said, “A no meltdown day is very tough to have.”

“Brian sent a text about what happened today,” he said looking at me concerned, “I made sure that I was on the lookout for him while we were at the beach. How are you doing?”

I sighed and I watched as Lenny and Josh both smirk since Charlie was engrossed in conversation with two six-year-olds.

“I’m fine,” I said shaking my head, “It was a typical Derek move. He was trying to intimidate me but he got mad when it didn’t work out. I’m glad he didn’t go looking for you guys at the beach and just went home because I think I would’ve killed him if something happened to you or the boys.”

“Am I that important to you already McKinley?” Matt smirked, “I haven’t even taken you out to dinner yet.”

I just rolled my eyes as I felt myself blush and responded back, “You know exactly what I mean Sanders.”

That caused Matt to laugh and I could tell that Lenny and Josh were listening in on our conversation while they were cleaning up their areas of the shop. That then caused me to decide to give Matt the grand tour of the shop. By the end of the small tour, Matt was most impressed with the hangout room I had created for the boys.

“Seriously,” he said as we made our way back up to the shop, “That room is loaded. I’m also impressed that Jace and Zander can properly use the microwave. River can barely use the water feature on the fridge at the moment.”

I just laughed and shook my head.

“Trust me it took us six months until they could use it probably by themselves,” I said, “You can ask Josh, Lenny, and Charlie.”

“Talking about the microwave teaching?” Lenny asked, “Seriously we had lots of fails but they now can do it no problem.”

“Thank god,” Josh muttered, “I thought we were going to have the place burn down a few times.”

That caused Matt to chuckle and I smiled lightly. I was glad that Matt was so laid back and open to hanging out with new people. We may have only known each other for a week but for some reason, I was really comfortable around him and things seemed effortless with him. It was never awkward or forced when we got together. Matt was now talking to my older brother when Lenny came over and pulled me aside since River and Jace had made their way back to the hangout room.

“Seems like you two get along pretty well,” Lenny said smirking at me.

“We do,” I said, “I’m glad about it with amount of time our kids spend together I was praying it wouldn’t be awkward or forced. I actually enjoy hanging out with him.”

“He seems to like hanging out with you too,” he said, “You should see the way he’s been looking over here every few minutes to make sure you’re okay. I think he’s interested.”

“I highly doubt that,” I said rolling my eyes.

“Whatever you say Mel,” Lenny said, “I think he likes you more and I think you find him quite attractive as well.”

I just shook my head and looked over to find Matt looking over at me and Lenny and he smiled when our eyes met. Maybe Matt did like me more than just friends but right now I wasn’t so sure I was ready to do start dating so I was going to try and keep whatever was going between us for as long as I could.

“Hey, I think we should head out,” I said interrupting Matt and Charlie’s conversation what sounded like to be about beards, “Knowing my kids they’re probably passed out in the hangout room as we speak.”

“Mine are too probably,” Matt said as the both of us quietly walked back to the hangout room to actually over hear a conversation between River and Jace.

“Do you think your mom and my dad will date?” River asked and I looked at Matt puzzled beyond belief.

“I don’t know,” Jace said as I assumed they were playing video games, “Your dad seems to like Mom a lot. Does your dad like my mom?”

“I don’t know,” River said, “Girls have cooties. I don’t talk to him about that. It would be cool if we could be brothers.”

“It would. It would be like all day play days,” Jace said and River said something in agreement.

I then looked at Matt who was turning a bit red which meant I think River overheard him talking to someone else. I decided not to embarrass the poor guy, so I just opened the door and pretended I didn’t hear a thing the boys had said.

“Well hell Matt I guess I owe you dinner,” I said looking at Matt who was still speechless.

“What do you mean?” Jace asked pausing the video game which meant I had his attention and River’s.

“I totally bet Matt all four of you would be passed out by now after playing so hard at the beach,” I said, “I guess I owe Matt dinner since I lost.”

“You do?” Matt looked at me confused and I smiled lightly.

It was in that moment that I decided to see what happened. Our last few hangouts went really well and I enjoyed getting to know Matt. Maybe dinner just the two of us could see where we were going with things.

“I do,” I said and Matt’s confused look turned into a smile because he figured out what was happening.

“How about you two go get in your respected cars,” Matt said while we went to go pick up a sleeping Cash and a sleeping Zander, “Your mom and I will be behind you two.”

Both boys started whining but I was in no mood to listen to it.

“You heard Matt,” I said, “Besides Jace depending on how well you behave maybe we’ll order pizza for dinner instead of eating healthy.”

That perked my child’s interest and he immediately grabbed River’s hand and pulled him out of the room. Once they left the room I turned to look at Matt who was just staring at me.

“I’ll text you a time a location about dinner,” I said, “A kid free dinner would be nice and I could totally talk Charlie into watching the kids for a few hours. If you’re okay with that.”

“Yeah,” Matt said quickly then started coughing and I smiled lightly, “That would be nice. I would like to get to know you better kid free.”

“Okay,” I said as we got to the front of the shop, “Have a good weekend Matt.”

“You too,” he said.

“Oh, and thank you for today,” I said, “I really appreciate it.”

“Anytime Mel,” he said, “Have a good weekend. Nice to meet you all.”

As soon as Matt left the shop, I could feel six pairs of eyes on me and I refused to look at them.

“Have a good weekend,” I said smiling at the fact that I grew a pair and asked a guy out on a date in over eight years, “See you all on Tuesday.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooo someone asked someone out on a date!
What will happen?
Stay tuned and find out!