Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter Six

It’s been two weeks since the “kidnapping incident” and life hadn’t gone back to normal. Turns out Derek took the kids to a secluded part of the beach to make up for the missed weekend. Jace and Zander knew about this because Derek had been planning it over the weekend through the Xbox live account that I had set up for the boys to play games with Derek. When I found about this I was so furious about it and grounded them both from spending time with the Sanders boys. Jace told me that I was keeping him and Zander from seeing Derek and that I wanted to destroy his relationship with his father. Zander was torn because I knew he wanted to spend time with his dad and couldn’t understand why Jace was so mad with me. Today was nothing new when I dropped off the kids at school. Jace didn’t even turn to say goodbye to me and Zander gave me a hug saying that he’d see me after school. I watched them both walk into the school, and I sighed to myself.

I got back into my car and before driving off, I picked up the business card I was offered the night we found the boys. It was for a family therapist that was highly recommended. The police officer that wrapped up the case, gave it to me and said that if things didn’t get better that maybe this person would help us out. She was in the same place as I was a few years ago and she and her family went and they were better co-parents because of it. I placed it back in the cup holder and headed to the shop to get caught up on emails and phone calls I hadn’t taken in the last few days. When I pulled into the parking lot, I already knew that Val was waiting inside. Her car was parked right in front and I sighed. I hadn’t really talked to Val or Matt since finding the boys other than cancelling the last four play dates. Val already knew I was avoiding her so I guess it was only a matter of time before she got fed up with it and stalked me. I grabbed the business card still thinking about calling the therapist to set up an appointment for the five us, since Dalia was now part of our family and headed inside ready for the storm that was about to happen. I opened the front door and there she was in all her glory Val Sanders with her hands on her hips.

“You couldn’t call me to tell me what’s been going on?” she asked raising an eyebrow at me.

“What good does it do?” I retorted walking straight back to my office ignoring Lenny, Josh, Charlie, and anyone else in the shop.

“Fucking hell Mel,” Val sighed shutting the door, “What the fuck is going on at home? Charlie called me telling me that the last two weekends Jace has spent the night as his house and wants nothing to do with you all of a sudden and Zander is so confused about Jace’s behavior and doesn’t let you leave his sight unless it’s to go to school.”

I sighed finally feeling tusanmi of emotions that I had been keep in check for the last two weeks. I sat down at my desk and shook my head putting my head in my hands.

“Jace hates me,” I said feeling tears already flowing down my face, “Derek has him convinced that I want him to not have a relationship with Derek and all the cancelling and not calling are my fault because I’m the one who plans them. Zander is so confused as to why Jace is so mean to me now and feels like he needs to step up and be both Jace and Zander to make me feel loved. He literally is glued to my side the minute he gets out of school. Jace would rather talk to Charlie and he doesn’t even say that much anymore. Derek probably told him something about Charlie not to trust him too much. I don’t know. I just. . .I-I-I don’t know what to do Val. I can’t lose my boys. I do everything for them.”

I just looked up at my friend broken and just tired of being the person who did the right thing. I was the responsible parent, I was the responsible friend, I was the responsible business owner. I did everything like I was supposed to and it just seemed like this month I continually got shit on. I didn’t know when Val came over but she just let me cry. I don’t know how long we sat there while balled my eyes out in my office but we were interrupted by a knock on the door. Charlie stuck his head in to check on us and see if we wanted lunch. I wasn’t hungry but Val put in our orders and she picked up the card on the desk and handed it to me.

“You and I both know this is what you have to do,” she said, “Make an appointment. Fix your relationship with everyone. It’ll make making new ones easier.”

I then looked at her like she was crazy.

“You’re still fucking on the train of getting Matt and I together,” I said shocked, “You’re incredible you know that.”

“Breathe girlfriend,” Val said rolling her eyes, “Yes I would still like you and Matt to get together but you know I would never push into something you really don’t want to pursue. I will however push you into coming to the barbeque that Jonah and I are throwing for our friends tomorrow. It’s an adult only party, no kids. Everyone needs a break from parenting and if anyone needs a break its you, Mel. You’ve been full time mom and tattoo shop owner for a year and a half with no vacation or really you time. Have your parent’s watch the boys and come have some adult fun. I invited Lenny, Josh, and Charlie.”

I sighed rubbing my hands over my face for like the millionth time in the last few weeks and nodded my head.

“Fine,” I said, “I’ll drop by for an hour or two.”

“Perfect,” Val said grinning like she had won the lottery.

“But no forcing me to talk to Matt,” I stated clearly, “Or anyone else for that matter. If I’m antisocial that day just let me be.”

“Can’t promise anything,” she said standing up as Charlie opened the door to say that lunch was here.

The rest of the day was uneventful for me since all I did was stay cooped up in my office refusing to talk to anyone. I managed to call the therapist who said it was a smart idea that I called and that we would have an appointment next Wednesday and that she would let Derek’s lawyer know since he was refusing to communicate with me directly. After the hour-long phone call, it was time to go pick up the boys from school. I was packing up my things when Charlie stuck his head into my office to check up on me like he had been every hour for the last six hours.

“You leaving,” he said confused and I nodded my head.

“Yeah,” I said, “I have to go get the boys. Be the bad guy yet again for the whateverth day in a row. Listen to how I’m a horrible mom who won’t let Jace and Zander be with Derek, you know the new usual I’ve been living.”

“Mel,” Charlie said and I just shook my head.

“I’m fine,” I lied, “The joys of being a single parent. I’ll see you tomorrow. Maybe we can carpool to Val’s or something.”

“You agreed,” Charlie said shocked and I nodded my head.

“Like I had much of a choice,” I said, “If I said no she would’ve just shown up at my house and dragged me to hers.”

Charlie just nodded his head knowing I was in my famous, no one can fix the problem moods and he wasn’t going to get through to me. I told everyone goodbye on my way out of the shop and headed towards my car. The minute I got in my car I was headed towards the school trying to mentally prepare myself for Jace’s glare the entire ride home and Zander’s constant chatter about his day at school since he felt the need to try and make up for Jace’s sour mood. I pulled up to the pickup line like I always do and waited for Jace and Zander to get in the car. Thankfully Jace and Zander were waiting by the time I got up to the front of the line and got in silently.

“Hey boys,” I said smiling in the rearview mirror, “Did you guys have a good day?”

“Yeah,” Zander said and then launched into his day with hanging out with Cash and his other friend Jasper.

Zander literally filled the car ride with his stories about his day when we pulled into the driveway, I looked over at Jace who was still staring out the window.

“And how about you Jace?” I asked looing in my rearview mirror, “How was your day?”

“Fuck off,” he said and I heard Zander’s inhale and I locked the door before he could open his.

“What did you just say Jace Owen Jones?” I asked trying to keep my cool but I was seeing red knowing that this was Derek’s influence on him.

“I said fuck off,” Jace stated harshly again and I just lost it.

“That’s it,” I said, “You just earned you and your brother staying with your grandma this weekend. No Uncle Charlie’s for two weeks.”

“What!?” Jace exclaimed and I cut him off.

“You do not ever use that language on me or anyone else for that matter again,” I stated, “If I ever hear those words come out of your mouth again, I will wash it out with soap. Now listen to me, go inside the house and pack a bag. You will then sit in your room that has no TV, no Xbox, no cd player no electronic devices whatsoever until it is time to leave. Do you understand Jace?”

Jace refused to look at me and I got out of the car and ripped his door open and made him look at me.

“I said do you understand,” I asked harshly again.

“I do,” he responded back and rushed into the house and I looked over at Zander who had tears in his eyes and sighed.

“Mama am I. . .” Zander started and I shook my head and went to go get him out of the car seat.

“You’re not in trouble baby,” I said, “I’m sorry you had to see that. I just think you and Jace might need some nana and papa time. What do you think?”

“I would like to see Nana,” he said quietly playing with my shirt, “Do I need to pack a bag too?”

“Yes, you do,” I said smiling lightly and poking his nose, “How about you go pack the bag and then come down to the living room and you can play in there.”

“Okay,” he said and squirmed out of my arms and rushed up to his room and I sighed running my hand through my hair and pulled out my phone.

My fingers mindlessly dialed the all familiar number to my mother’s house and it was picked up on the third ring.

“I was wondering when you would call for me to take care of them,” my mother’s voice filled my ears and I smiled lightly through the tears that were falling down my face already.

“Can you watch them for the weekend?” I asked, “Jace just told me to fuck off and I’m afraid I’m going to lose it on them.”

“Oh honey,” my mom said and I could feel myself just coming unglued emotionally after weeks of trying to be strong.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered trying to wipe the tears off my face, “I just. . .I just don’t know what to do anymore. Derek’s trying to pin them against me and I’m running on empty Mom. I’m lost because no matter how hard I try I feel like they’re believing him more and more every day when I know he’s telling them lies. I can’t lose my boys mom, I don’t know what I’ll do without them.”

“Oh sweetie,” my mother said and I knew she knew what I was talking about because she went through it with me when I was fourteen and my biological father came back into my life, “Bring the boys over and have them stay the weekend. We’ll have your dad watch the kids and we’ll go get some coffee or something okay?”

“Okay,” I said as I was still trying to dry my eyes, “We’ll see you within the hour then.”

We both then hung up the phone and I turned around to see both Jace and Zander standing at the door looking worried at me.

“Mom,” Jace whispered.

“Yeah baby?” I asked trying to pretend I wasn’t crying.

He then ran into my arms and hugged me tightly and Zander soon followed.

“I’m so sorry Mom,” he said over and over again hugging me while we all cried, “I didn’t mean to be so mean. Dad just said that you were keeping us from you and I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright baby,” I said trying to calm him down, “I know it’s all so confusing. I’m so sorry about putting you and Zander through all of this.”

We sat on the ground of our garage for another twenty minutes just hugging and enjoying the quietness of each other’s company and I sighed looking at the time.

“We still have to go to nana’s don’t we,” Jace sighed looking at me and I nodded my head.

“Unfortunately yes,” I said looking at Zander and Jace, “Mom needs some mom time alone I think. After the last couple of weeks Mom is just stressed out.”

“Alright,” Zander said as he held his overnight bag with Jace doing the same thing.

“Come on,” I said, “Let’s get going then.”

Both boys climbed up into the car and I sighed to myself. I swear my six-year-old acted like a teenager and Zander acted like his was way older as well. I felt terrible that my boys felt so torn between me and their father and I was praying that our appointment with the family therapist would be really beneficial for all of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update for the night, go me! Let me know what you all think!