Flour.

chapter four

“I think that was the best piece of cake I have ever had.” Steve said, making Harry chuckle. “I get why they have so many awards. What they are making for your party are going to be delicious.”

“Steve, I never would have pinned you as such a cake lover.” Harry said with an inquisitive gaze.

“I love any and every dessert, Harry.” He said with a laugh. “Good luck tonight, it’s gonna go well. Everybody is going to be really impressed with how good your new music is. You’re going to have nothing but success with this record.” He sent Harry a genuine smile, slapping his shoulder before they got out of the car and made their way into the venue, dodging a few fans.

Harry arrived three hours early to the venue, which would give him time to get dressed and have a quick sound check. Nervous was an understatement. Hardly anyone had heard any of these songs before, and sharing them with the world was frightening. Knowing a large portion of the crowd would be journalists and reports, here to write about how the night goes. Harry was hyperaware of every little aspect. From the particular way his shoes were tied to exactly where each member of the band was going to stand at the moment the show would start. This hour long set will not only officially kick off his solo career, but define the direction is which it is headed.

The three hours pasted in a blur, before Harry knew it he was being ushered onto to stage, feeling all the excitement and nerves that had been building up over the past couple of days were now coming out. This would be the first time playing some songs live, the first people would ever hear. This show had been planned months in advanced, and was being sold as a secret show, the details only be released at the last minute. This was the show that journalists were contacted and invited to, so it could be written about and published online few days later. Harry was genuinely terrified yet exhilarated by the idea of finally getting to make a name for himself and his music.

“30 seconds Harry,” One of the crew members said as he nodded, rocking back and forth on his heels.

♡ ♡ ♡

“By the way, the hair looks so good.” Sutton said in reference to Candace freshly dyed silver-blonde hair as they brought in boxes and boxes of cupcakes into the venue that the party was being held in.

“Hey thanks,” She smiled, following Sutton inside. “Mama Pak won’t be too excited.” Candace explained as Sutton laughed. Candace’s mother, Nam, was a fierce woman and stood tall at 5 feet. She was a fearless matriarch, who came and visited Candace in New York every three months. She had made all the aprons Sutton and her baking assistants wore in the bakery. Nobody was prouder of the two girls than Mama Pak.

The two girls sat their cupcakes down on one of the large stands they assumed were being designated to them. The back of their delivery van had been filled to the brim with the large plastic boxes they used to transport pastries. They arrived and made it in without a single hitch, something that was a relief to Sutton, who was already nervous.

“If I get frosting on my dress, I’m going to be livid.” Candace declared as Sutton laughed, removing her jacket and tossing it to the side. Candace was dressed in a tight black dress, black ankle boots with lucite heels. Over her dress she wore a baby pink leather jacket, and a gold choker necklace. “You look really good, Sutton. If I didn’t know better, I wouldn’t be able to tell you were running on less than three hours a sleep.” Candace teased, tossing her jacket to the side with Sutton’s. Sutton was wearing a white off the shoulder dress, that was flowy and made of linen. She wore plain gold hooped earrings and a pair of short black heels. The look would be incomplete without her beloved black leather jacket and a faded red lipstick.

Sutton shrugged, placing cupcakes down on the table. “Glossier and a huge iced coffee is a truly magical combination.” Sutton joked. Minutes later, they were interrupted by a short girl with large round tortoise framed glasses.

“Are you Sutton from Flour Bakery?” She asked, looking between the two girls.

“Depends on who’s asking,” Sutton replied as a joke, the frazzled girl did not look impressed, simply annoyed as she glanced at the large tablet in her hands and back up at the girls.

“She’s Sutton Mitchel. I’m Candace Pak, we’re the owners of Flour. Nice to meet you.” Candace corrected, hand outstretched for a hand shake.

“Hi, I’m Anna. I’m the one who hired you and have been in contact with.” She introduced herself and exchanged handshakes. “If you could put 200 cupcakes on this table,” She began, gesturing to the one they were currently at. “And then 150 at each of those tables over there. Can you leave space in the middle for the other decorations? Thanks. Let me know if you need anything! I’ll be… somewhere around.” The two girls nodded and got to work, skipping any casual conversation with Anna. Each table was covered in white table cloths, with stacked transparent stands that created three layers, which they filled each with cupcakes.

“How many extras did you bring?” Candace asked, as she stacked cupcake #337. So far only one cupcake had been dropped and one with smeared icing. The girls were feeling pretty good about this event.

“Like 45 or so.” Sutton said, nodding towards a smaller box still sitting where they originally unloaded everything. “Is this his album cover? Him in pink bathwater? Edgy.” She joked and Candace giggled before shooting her a look that screamed “don’t joke about the person paying us.”

“His album is pretty good though, I listened to it when I walked to the bakery today. I’m not sure it’s your kind of thing, since you only listen to punk and stuff-“

“Hey, there’s a lot more than just punk. Some super old country. The new-wave British stuff. Lots of sad music too. And like, anything that’s actually rock and roll.” Sutton corrected, and Candace rolled her eyes as she kept shuffling cupcakes. Candace was into electronic and indie music, whereas Sutton swayed towards punk and anything that met the DIY style.

“You and your thrash music are beside the point,” Candace said as Sutton laughed and shook her head. “His songs are pretty good. I thought it was going to be singer-songwriter-y or just solo pop but it’s not. There’s some good guitar. That girl Anna sent us a couple songs early, hoping it would “inspire our creativity” but threatened that if we leaked them, we’d get fired and sued.”

“Wow, intense stuff.” Sutton laughed, reaching into the last box of cupcakes to finish the final table. “Inspire our creativity is one of the most pretentious sounding sentences I have ever heard.”

An hour later, everything was set up, and Anna ran around telling everyone to be prepared, the event was officially starting. Sutton was told to man the largest cupcake table, so photographers could take pictures of the display and her before it was dismembered. Candace stood with her, shooting her reassuring smiles or thumbs up everything Suttons answered reporter’s questions correctly. Candace was all about maintaining their brand, whereas Sutton was only familiar with the baking aspect of her bakery.

“Hey, that guy came into Flour last night.” Sutton said, nodding towards the man dressed in a black button up shirt and tight black pants. “He was super weird. That tall guy hanging behind him was there too. I wonder if that’s his sugar daddy or something. I bet that’s a great lifestyle.”

“What?” Candace said, looking between the singer and her best friend. “Seriously? Why didn’t you tell me Harry Styles was in our bakery last night?” She seethed in a whisper, turning to look at Sutton, who looked surprised.

“Wait, that’s Harry Styles!?” She questioned, eyebrow arched as Candace nodded. “I thought he had like, thick and curly hair and wore a lot of blazers. That’s what I remember from the magazines I saw a few years ago.”

“More like, five years ago Sutton.” Candace said, and shook her head with a laugh. “You amaze me sometimes by the lack of pop cultural awareness.”

“I mean for the past five years; my world has revolved around baked goods, not boy bands. Please don’t mock me. Besides, I’d rather dedicate wasting my time watching Food Network. If there’s any news about Bobby Flay, I’d know right away.” Sutton justified, as her friend shook her head and passed a cupcake to someone who had wandered over. “I kind of feel bad for the sugar daddy comment now. I bet that’s his body guard or something.” Sutton trailed off when said body guard started to approach the table in search of a cupcake.

“What’s with you and Bobby Flay?” Candace asked, but before she could get a response, Sutton was sending the tall man, once deemed Harry Styles’ “sugar daddy”, a huge smile and passing him a cupcake.

“Hello!” She greeted. “How was your chocolate cake last night?” She asked, he smiled in response to her remembrance of his short trip to her bakery last night.

“It was delicious.” He said kindly. “Probably the best cake I have ever had. Even better than the cake my mum used to make.”

“That is the kindest and most genuine compliment you could ever give a person.”

“You’ve got something special going on over there,” He smiled before taking a bite of her vanilla cupcake. “Oh my, this one is even better. Did you make them yourself?” Sutton nodded and he smiled widely, reaching for a second cupcake before thanking her and getting back to his job. She and Candace exchanged grins of excitement. People passed by their table, grabbing cupcakes and asking where they came from. Each time, Candace was proud to respond Flour Bakery and give the address.

“Did you enjoy your éclair last night, Mr. Harry Styles?” Sutton asked when the infamous pop star strutted his way towards the cupcake table, Anna hot on his trail.

“Wow, I didn’t recognize you without all the flour and icing covering you.” He teased with a playful smirk. “You clean up very nice, cupcake girl.”

“Sutton.” She declared, picking up a cupcake and handing it to him, urging him to take a bite. From the corner of her eye, she could feel Candace’s intense gaze, probably running through a million scenarios in which would call for damage control, familiar with Sutton’s brash tendencies. Yet, over the years, Candace has trained her how to be properly behaved, the majority of the time.

“These are delicious.” He said, looking up at her with a raised eyebrow. “Not a plain vanilla cupcake, is it?”

“Nope,” Sutton said, popping the “p”. “They are a vanilla cupcake, that’s filled with a vanilla bourbon ganache and then topped with a classic and light French meringue icing. Plain vanilla is too simple and doesn’t leave a lasting impression.”

“Wow, did you make them?” He asked, examining the cupcake in his hand and the display sitting on the table, decked with hundreds of cupcakes.

“Every last one. Only suffered minor carpel tunnel.” Sutton nodded proudly before extending her hand out for a hand shake. “Sutton Mitchel. Executive pastry chef and co-founder of Flour Bakery. This is my co-founder Candace Pak, she handles the money, I handle the deserts.” She introduced them formally, each shaking his hand and he thanked them for making so many cupcakes on such a short notice. A photographer came up behind them, asking for a picture. Harry moved behind the table and stood between the two girls, resting his hand at Sutton’s waist.

Candace smiled widely and looked at her business partner. “This is fantastic. We’re going to be the most popular bakery in Manhattan.” She grinned and Sutton smiled back. Candace was more concerned with their success and branding than Sutton, who was simply focused on guaranteeing quality.

“I believe you already are.” Harry chimed in with a smile that Sutton couldn’t help but return. “Thank you for your hard work, these are spectacular. I have to go and make some rounds. I hope you all have a good time tonight. It was a pleasure meeting you.” He flashed a smile towards Candace before looking back at Sutton. “And it was a pleasure seeing you again, Sutton.” He said, shooting her another charming smile. Sutton nodded and smiled back, before watching him step away and getting swept up by someone else. Sutton learned tonight that Harry Styles was captivating and extremely charming. She was beginning to see why he had caught the hearts of so many young girls and boys. In only a short conversation, he managed to make her feel as if the three of them were the only people in the room. He looked so engaged and listened intently to everything she said, not what Sutton would have expected from someone of his fame and popularity.

“He seemed to really like you Sutton,” Candace said, wagging her eyebrows as her best friend rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, right.” She said, watching as he maneuvered the room, talking to anyone who stopped him. Occasionally, he’d look back over at where Sutton was, eyes meeting and offering a partial smile. “I bet he has been trained the majority of his adult life to talk to people.” Candace just shook her head at her friend who simply shrugged.

Shortly after Harry’s exit, Anna, his assistant came by to relieve the girls of their manning duties, and told them to enjoy the party. Candace and Sutton spilt up, Candace in search of publicists to talk to about Flour and Sutton finding the table with the champagne glasses. Both were successful, having practice enough at catering events over the past year. When Sutton spotted her friend across the room, pushing herself into conversation with three stylish looking women, Sutton smiled to herself, sipping the glass of champagne in her hands.

“These cupcakes are so good; I could kiss whoever made them.” A guy with long hair said to his friend standing nearby. The long-haired man was dressed in a patterned button up shirt and slacks, Sutton watched as he took another bite out of the cupcake, causing Sutton to let out a quiet laugh.

“That’s quite the compliment.” She joked and the guy turned around surprised, but with a crooked smile on his lips and half-eaten cupcake in hand.

“I’ve never felt so strongly about a baked good.” He joked. “You should try one of these, they are amazing. I’m Elliot, by the way.” He extended his free hand and Sutton met him half way, shaking it with a kind smile.

“I have spent the past two days surrounded by those cupcakes, if I ate one more, I might die.” She said, her sense of humor was extremely dry. “Nice to meet you Elliot. I’m Sutton. I’m the one you want to kiss.” She said with a grin and nodded towards his cupcake. He laughed and his cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

“Wow, this s a little embarrassing.” He laughed, running his hand through his long blond locks as Sutton shrugged with a smirk. “You, Sutton, have made the best cupcake I have ever had in my entire life. I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without ever having something this good.”

“Feel free to stop by our bakery anytime to make up for lost time.” She said, taking a sip of champagne as he grinned back at her. “I’m there the majority of the time, so I can even promise you a free cupcake or two.”

“I definitely think I will have to.” Elliot replied with a smile. “I bet you cater fancy parties like this a lot, right? For celebrities and stuff.”

Before Sutton could respond with more than a shake of her head, Candace appeared, reaching for her arm. “Hey! Anna said we could take a picture of Harry and our cupcakes for our website and social media, once he’s done talking to the editor of The Rolling Stones magazine. And that someone from Teen Vogue wants to interview you.”

“Jann Wenner is here? No way!” Sutton exclaimed as her friend rolled her eyes. “Also, its Rolling Stone Magazine, copies of that are all over the coffee table. And c’mon, Rolling Stones is the band. You really should know this by now. I can’t believe I’m still explain it to you.”

“You know who that is, but you had no idea who Harry Styles was? God, I’m sickened.” Candace said as her friend simply shrugged. “I can’t believe that’s what you picked up on out of everything I just said to you.” Sutton rolled her eyes, as Candace tugged on her arm.

“It was nice to meet you, Elliot. I have to do whatever that crazy lady wants.” Sutton smiled as she turned to face him again, gesturing to Candace, already five steps away. “I hope you really do stop by the bakery sometime! We have a lot more than just cupcakes.” Elliot nodded with a grin and promised to stop by soon. With one last wave, Sutton turned to catch up with Candace, who was typing away furiously at her phone. She caught up to her with four long strides, linking her arm through Candace’s.

“He’s pretty cute.” Candace said as Sutton rolled her eyes, stopping by a flustered looking Anna, who was looking over their heads.

“Great, here’s Harry.” She said, leading him towards the girls. “Teen Vogue wants a couple pictures of you all. Make sure you get some with the cupcakes in the shot. And also, tell the magazine you came up with the flavor after being inspired by Harry’s album.” Anna instructed, as the girls nodded, everyone ignoring the annoyed look on Sutton’s face, per usual.

“His album inspired my cupcakes?” She asked as Candace shushed her, but Sutton was too wrapped up in taking offense. “That’s the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And insulting-“

“Ready to take some pictures?” Harry asked, interrupting Sutton’s rant. Candace nodded as the magazine reporter and photographer posed them accordingly, snapping a few pictures. Sutton felt Harry’s fingers graze across her shoulder before settling at her waist.

“Great, now Harry would you mind giving me a quick quote about the cupcakes?” The reporter asked and he nodded.

“These are the best piece of desert I have ever had. Truly the highlight of the party. Sutton’s cupcakes are the real stars of the evening.” He said, before turning around to look at Sutton over his shoulder. She stood, arms crossed and smirked at him as he raised his eyebrows.

“Sutton, can I ask a few interview questions now?” The interviewer asked her, pulling her eyes away from Harry as she nodded, stepping closer towards the reporter. “Great, how amazing is it to have your cupcakes on display at such a huge party here in New York?”

Sutton glanced over at Harry, who gave her a smirk. She then looked over at Candace, who gave her an encouraging smile as she listened intently to every word that came out of Sutton's mouth. “I am so very thankful to have been given the opportunity to bake for such a big event. Flour started out as a small and humble bakery, now we’re being hired to make desert for rock stars like Harry Styles.” She said, eyes trained on Harry as he walked away with a smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you a million times to all you angels who commented, recommended and subscribed