The Moment I Knew

Is This A Dream?

Cristiano watched helplessly as Alesha laid in her hospital bed hooked up to machines, Dr Nova had told him not to be scared of the machines and that they were only there to help Alesha, but he was more concerned that they had been in hospital for almost two days and Alesha still hadn't woken up, he had voiced his concerns with Dr Nova but she had rejected his concerns telling him that Alesha was stable right now and they would try to wake her up soon from her induced coma.

" You should go home and get rest" Sergio said from the door, with two cup of coffees in his hand, he offered Cristiano one but he just shook his head. " I am sure the hospital will call if there are any changes" Sergio added.

Cristiano just shook his head again as he leaned back in his chair " I want to be there when Alesha finally wakes up" he replied " I can't leave her on her own" he sighed.

" Cris, she won't be on her own, your family will be with her and if you want I can also stay with her" Sergio suggested. " You are no good to anyone running on empty" He smiled, hoping Cristiano would take his advice and go home and get some rest.

Dr Nova walked back in to the room, carrying Alesha's chart " Your friend is right" she smiled politely " Go home and rest then when you come back I should have a further update for you" she added.

" What if Alesha wakes up and I am not here" Cristiano mumbled, his eyes on his girlfriend " I need to be here when that happens"he said.

Dr Nova moved to check Alesha's Stats on the machines then she turned back to Cristiano " I am not expecting her to wake up anytime soon, she had quite the fall and we had to put her into a induced coma so you have time to go home and freshen up" she said firmly " If there are any changes you will be the first to know" she added.

" Come on Cris lets get you home, Alesha will be okay while you are gone" Sergio smiled.

Cristiano stared doubtfully at Sergio and Dr Nova he was still reluctant to leave Alesha but knew they were both right he did need some rest and that he would be no good to anyone if he didn't get a few hours sleep.

" Okay I will go but can someone stay with her until I come back?" Cristiano asked. " I don't want her to be on her own" he mumbled.

Sergio walked to the door and poked his head out to call Dolores into the room " Your mother is here now, so you can go home and freshen up" he replied.

Dolores nodded her head in agreement just relieved someone was getting through to Cristiano, she had been trying for hours to get Cristiano to go home and rest " I won't leave this room" she said.

" Good and if anything changes you call me straight away" Cristiano demanded, still not sure leaving Alesha was such a good idea, he had awful feeling at the pit of his stomach something was going to happen and he couldn't shake it.

Dolores just smiled at Cristiano. just wanting him to look after himself, she knew he was worried about Alesha but he had to take care of himself as well otherwise he would be no use for anyone never mind Alesha and the baby.

" Go Cristiano, I will look after Alesha until you get back" Dolores smiled weakly.

Cristiano spared a last look at Alesha, he leaned down to kiss her head and said quietly into her ear that he would be back soon and that she wasn't to go anywhere.

" I will be back soon" he promised as he walked out of the room, leaving Alesha with his mother, he really hoped that she would be able to wake up soon, he hated the waiting, he was never the most patient person anyways but this waiting around for Alesha to wake up was killing him and he wished that by the time he got back to the hospital that there would be a change in Alesha's current condition.

***
Alesha opened her eyes when she heard someone call her name, she frowned at her surroundings not knowing where she was, slowly sitting up she looked around to see she was in the old park that her grandmother used to take her to when she was a kid.

" What am I doing here?" she muttered, her eyes getting used to the sunlight " Am I dead?" she questioned.

A soft laugh made Alesha looked around and that was when she spotted her dead grandmother walking towards her, she frowned if she was seeing her dead grandmother that must mean she was dead or on the brink.

" Hi Alesha" her grandmother smiled.

Alesha stood up trying to figure out where she was " What happened to me?" she asked looking around the park " The last thing I can remember is being at a Sergio's house" she mumbled.

" Don't worry about any of that honey" her Grandmother said, holding out her hand for Alesha to take.

Staring warily at the hand Alesha shook her head she had a feeling that if she took her grandmothers hand she would be gone forever " I can't go with you Gran" she whispered.

Beth Smiled at her granddaughter " You won't go anywhere I promise" she replied " Now take me hand" she urged.

Alesha still a little unsure but did what her grandmother asked and took her hand " Am I dead?" she asked.

Beth shook her head " No not yet, but you are in a induced coma" she replied, not wanting to scare Alesha but she needed her to keep fighting, it wasn't her time yet.

" So this is just a dream?" Alesha asked.

Without saying another word, Beth hugged Alesha tightly " I Guess you could call it that" she said quietly " You can't stay here though, you will have to eventually go back" she added.

Alesha frowned at her grandmother words " Why can't I stay here?" she asked, moving a little away from Beth " It looks so peaceful here" she smiled.

" Its not your time honey, you place is with Cristiano" Beth said.

Alesha sighed at the mention of Cristiano's name, then she immediately felt for the bump but nothing was there which she found a little odd " Things have been so hard trying to work things out with him" she confessed.

" I am sure you both will work things out, Cristiano will finally figure out how much he loves you, in fact I think this accident will be what gets him to admit it" Beth smiled.

Following her gran to the two paths that lay just a head of them " You really think he loves me?" Alesha asked, a little doubt creeping into her voice.

" Cristiano loves you,he is just too scared to admit but I think he will tell you soon" Beth smiled " For that to happen you have to go back" she added pointing to the path on the right.

Alesha glanced towards the path on the left " Where does that path lead?" she asked a little curious.

" If you take that path, there is no going back" Beth warned, pushing Alesha towards the path on the right.

Alesha paused slightly not sure what she wanted maybe it was her time to go " I could go with you, I have missed you gran" she said.

Beth shook her head she wouldn't allow Alesha to take the same path as her, she still had a lot to live for " I have missed you too honey, but now is not your time, you need to go now" she said firmly.

Moving towards the path on the right " If I take this path will it lead me back to Cristiano?" Alesha asked.

Beth just nodded her head as she moved to her own path " Yes you should go now, we will see each other again some day" she replied, waving goodbye.

Alesha smiled at her grandmother before she reluctantly took her own path, she wasn't sure where it was going to lead but she had faith in her grandmother and she wouldn't lead her astray. glancing back one last time she waved then everything went dark.

***

When Cristiano arrived back at the hospital he saw that Robert and Helen had finally arrived from London, he hadn't expected them to make the trip but with Alesha in such a bad way he couldn't say he was surprised to see them, he walked towards them, hoping they didn't blame him for their daughters accident.

" We have just got here, do you know what is happening with Alesha?" Helen asked desperate for an update on her daughter.

Cristiano spared a look at Alesha as she laid in the hospital bed, he had been told there had been no change and that she was stable, they would have to wait until she woke up to check on the baby.

" All I know is Alesha is stable but in a induced coma, I think they will be trying to wake her up soon" Cristiano relied, as they all stepped into Alesha's room.

Robert eyes landed on his daughter, his heart breaking at the sight of her " What exactly happened?" he asked, wanting answers.

" We were at a friend of mines for dinner and Alesha had gone to the bathroom and somehow fell down the stairs on her way back down" Cristiano explained.

Helen gasped softly as she gripped onto her husband's hand " My poor baby" she whispered.

" What about the baby?" Robert asked.

Cristiano stared down at his hands, only a few weeks ago he didn't want another child and now they were at risking of losing their child, he couldn't want this one any more than he did right now and he would only blame himself if Alesha lost their unborn child.

" For now both Alesha and the baby are stable but they won't know more until she wakes up" Cristiano said, knowing it wasn't very comforting but it was all he had right now.

Helen placed a hand over her mouth, just wanting her daughter to be okay, she wanted to blame Cristiano but one look at his face told her he was just as distraught as they were and it would be useless trying to blame him.

" Alesha will get better right?" Robert asked, as he walked closer to the bed, " She doesn't look like she is dying" he added quietly.

Cristiano moved to the other side of the bed " Alesha will be okay" he replied not sure who he was trying to convince more himself or Robert. He was just hoping and praying that Alesha would come out of her coma soon the waiting around for that to happen was unbearable he just wanted her to be okay again.

Dr Nova walked back into the room with a few other nurses and Doctor she smiled at Cristiano she had some good news to tell him.

" How is Alesha?" Cristiano asked.

Dr Nova looked towards the older couple wondering who they were until Cristiano informed her that they were in fact Alesha's parents.

" I have some good news, Alesha has been stable for a while now, so we are going try and wake her up now" Dr Nova smiled, as the nurses began to switch all the machines of that Alesha would not need.

" So my daughter will recover?" Robert asked.

Dr Nova hated giving people false hope but in this case she believed if all went well Alesha would make a full recovery " We are hopeful that she will" she replied.

Cristiano breathed a sight of relief, just glad to hear the words, he watched as the Nurses began the process to wake Alesha up, he just hoped everything went well.

***

A hour had passed and Alesha still hadn't woken up and with every minute that had passed Cristiano was getting more worried,he looked at Dr Nova who was looking a little concerned as well.

Why has she not opened her eyes yet ?" Cristiano asked.

Dr Nova wished she had answer for Cristiano but she was still trying to work out what was going on, all the signs were positive but Alesha just didn't seem to want to open her eyes yet " I think we may have to run some tests to find out what is going on" she said.

" What sort of tests?" Helen asked as she stared at her motionless daughter with fear in her eyes.

Dr Nova didn't get to answer as Alesha's body started to convulse, and her face turned a little blue, turning to the nurse she told them to get Alesha's family out of the room, as she turned her patient onto her side.

Cristiano watched helplessly as Dr Nova pressed the blue button next to the bed, which got more doctors into the room, he put his hand up to his mouth, scared that he was about to lose Alesha, he couldn't lose her now not after everything they had been through, she needed to hear him tell her he loves her.

Dolores put her arm around her distraught son " Alesha is a fighter she will come through this" she said quietly.

" I can't lose her" Cristiano whispered, as the door to Alesha's room door opened and the nurses and Doctor pushed Alesha out in a hurry.

Dr Nova stopped in front of Cristiano having a difficult question to ask him, she didn't want to ask him but it had to be done " We want to save both Alesha and the baby but if we can only save one who do you want us to save?" she asked.

Cristiano closed his eyes, shaking his head not wanting to pick between Alesha and their unborn child, if he picked Alesha she would never forgive him, but if he picked their unborn child he would lose Alesha forever, he just couldn't do it.

" I know this is difficult but we need an answer " Dr Nova urged gently.

Cristiano slowly opened his eyes, he looked towards Alesha parents wanting an answer from them but they both remained silent so the decision was mainly on him " Save Alesha" he whispered, hoping that it wouldn't come to that and that both could be saved.

Dr Nova nodded her head " We will try everything possible to save them both" she said, before she followed the nurses down to the operating theatre.

Cristiano hit the wall in frustration wondering how everything could go wrong so quick, he shrugged Dolores's arm from his body and stared at the empty room which had held Alesha, he shook his head, he couldn't do this right now, he had to leave, walking towards the exit he ignored the calls for him to come back, he just needed some air and time, he couldn't worry about anyone else right now, he just hoped when he went back in they would have better news for him.