Voices in My Head

I'll Figure Something Out

“Don’t even fucking look at me Shane.”

She could feel his eyes on her as soon as she left the arena, making her way to the crew bus. He had just steamrolled her into a situation she was not meant to be in, and he had done it against the wishes of his sister and everyone else involved.
But Shane wouldn’t be Shane if he wouldn’t try and have his own way, this much she had learnt over the last few weeks.

Hearing his footsteps behind her, Ana rolled her eyes and came to an abrupt stop, turning on her heels to face him.

“What else could you possibly throw my way right now Mr. McMahon?”

Staring up into his eyes, frustration was just rolling off her and he must have been able to feel it. If he didn’t, he was even more clueless than she first thought. He put a hand on her shoulder and opened his mouth, but it closed just as fast, an inner monologue clearly happening before his lips opened again.

“I couldn’t help but overhear the conversation between you, Randy and Mr. Taylor. I…was wrong about you, and I am sorry. Obviously my sister knew more than I did when she had you and Randy locked away for the Meet & Greet and I am sorry that I was the one who was behind the meeting.”

Ana pushed his hand off her shoulder and turned to walk again; there was no need for her to respond to his admission; it was clear who was behind the directions she had received through her earpiece, judging by Stephanie’s shocked face once she had rounded the corner.

“I said I was sorry!”

This made her turn and actually march back towards him, pushing her hands against his chest and managing to push him a few inches.

“Well sorry doesn’t fucking cut it sometimes! You were told to leave it alone for a reason; your sister had the full picture. And this stupid on-screen romance stops right now; I can’t even look at you without wanting to punch you in the face! I am here to do a job, and unless it is concerning that, I do not want you in my business at all. Is that understood?”

Just as Shane was about to respond to her, Steph emerged from between the busses, followed by Randy. He instantly wrapped an arm around Ana attempting to calm her down seen that her voice carried quite a bit, just as Steph came to a halt in front of her brother.

“Did you or did you not hear my clear instructions about Randy and Ana being excluded from being involved in any interactions with the band tonight?”

His body straight away pulled up, very much the defiant sibling.

“Yes I did, but-“

“Nothing but. There were clear instructions in place. There were reasons as to why I had made this decision, and you can thank Ana for holding Randy back. If he would have hurt this guy, it would have been on your head, and dad would have been very displeased.”

Shane looked like he was biting his tongue not to spit something back.

“Hear me now brother: if you fuck things up, I will get him involved, and I will get her transferred to work for me. She is one of the best in the business and I am not having you keep her here if you’re showing her the same kind of treatment you’ve given her today.”

Ana wanted to hug the woman, but Randy’s semi hug was feeling too good to move, plus Shane’s face grew angry.

“You know what? Take her with you tonight. I have tried to apologize to her but she didn’t give me an inch. She runs a tight ship? Any other person with her experience can do the same. Randy will simply have to find himself another ring rat. I am not treading lightly just because I made a simple mistake.”

He turned and left three people speechless in his wake.

“I have a contract, right? He can’t just can me from the tour?”

Steph came to hug her and stroked the crown of her head in a reassuring way.

“Of course he can’t. He is an idiot who has no idea about contracts and only talks to inflate his ego. Don’t listen to him.”

No matter the reassurance, Ana saw her newly found career slipping through her fingers. She pushed herself away from Randy and pulled her hands through her hair, looking at him.

“Is he the reason he is treating me like this right now? Because we’re close and we’re obviously more than just friends? I know that he tried to tell him that I was bad news or damaged goods, is this what it’s all about?”

It was clear that she was referring to Randy and for a change; he stood back and didn’t say anything.

“Possible. But please, don’t let your personal life be disrupted by him.”

“How can it not if she isn’t allowed to actually be with me? She told me earlier today that we’re not allowed to have a relationship thanks to her fucking contract. I am ready to introduce her to my girls but thanks to her contract, it would mean she’d get fired.”

Ana shook her head and laughed. It was not a happy sound but more that of a desperate woman.

“My actual boss wants me gone. The other wants to take me away. I can’t be with the man I have grown to care for…maybe I am in the wrong business after all.”

She grabbed her laminate and put it into Steph’s hand, both her and Randy looking at her with wide eyes.

“You know what? After tonight, I am just about done with all the backstage bullshit. I wish I would have met you under different circumstances Randy, but it’s clear that we cannot happen as long as I work here, I love you but you don’t want your kids to meet a woman that they’re not allowed to talk about. Maybe I just go back to the tour circus and-“

“You love him?”

Steph interrupted her speech, looking from Ana to Randy, who looked speechless if not helpless himself.

“Of course I do. Why else would I have told him about my unsavory past? Slept next to him when he snores like a lumberjack at times? I hated him at the start, but over time it became clear that he was more than just a pain in my arse.”

Randy closed the distance between them and kissed her. He held her face and just went for it, not caring that Steph was watching. He knew what he wanted, and what he wanted was the woman right in front of him.

“OK, enough!”

Stephanie’s voice made him break the kiss but he grabbed Ana’s hand into hid.

“Until we can work something else out, she will need to come with me. I would hate for Shane to find a way to get rid of her. We all know that this is not meant to happen between the two of you. The talent has different contracts and as far as the corporation is concerned she is in breech of hers. I’ll think of something, but I urge you both to lay low for the time being.”