Voices in My Head

Kick In the Nuts

Much to her surprise, he had managed to make it to his position on time, though the wink he sent her way before walking out to his theme song had her worried. Maybe she had gone too far.

“What’s wrong Ana, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Brad appeared next to her and scanned her over: she was as white as a sheet.

“I may have bitten off more than I can chew for once. Fuck, this is gonna come to haunt me!”

She slapped both hands in front of her face and stomped her feet at the same spot before coming to s stop and taking a few calming breathes. All would be good. He would do his thing, come backstage and most likely chew her ass out for the low blow she laid on him. Nothing two adults couldn’t talk out.

“What’s wrong with you Orton, you look like you’ve just gotten kicked in the balls by someone.”

Oh my…!

Her eyes instantly diverted to the closest monitor as John Cena’s voice was carried through the speakers. Cena had a cocky smirk on his face, as he looked Randy up and down, microphone dangling from his hand. The crowd went wild, laughing and screaming rebuts to the comment. Randy looked like he was cracking his neck as he tried to straighten himself, pain still mixed in his features.

“Ana…? What did you do?”

Brad whispered over her shoulder, starring at the same monitor. It wasn’t really a question, and she knew.

“Funny story really. But I know there is at least one person out there who’d hate if this fight got delayed by me talking about the beating my ego just took a few minutes ago, so let’s not drag this out.”

The crowd became noisy again as he walked into his corner, stretching his arms a bit before turning to face his opponent again.

“Oh, you mean to tell me that our stage manager gave you some trouble? Come on bro, she’s like 4” shorter than you and has a heart of gold. What could you’ve possibly done to piss her off enough to get a kick in the nuts!”

Fuck Cena and his need to drag this out further than it really had to go, especially on an open mic in the middle of a full arena!

“I’m…I’m just gonna go to the toilet. Find me when this shit fight is over and done with.”

Ana mumbled as she quickly rounded her friend and rushed towards the toilets, the hood of her hoodie pulled deep into her face in case anyone got the crazy idea to ask her about what was unfolding out there in the ring. It hadn’t been Randy’s doing, she knew it was all on Cena. Randy hadn’t walked funny coming down that ramp, so why throw out a suggestion like that? And why had Randy not simply denied it?
As soon as she locked the door behind her, her phone started ringing but she ignored it. Gripping the edges of the small sink, she stared at her reflection in the polished metal panel that was installed as a mirror replacement. Her cheeks were flushed, her long dirty blond hair hung over her shoulder in a careless mess and the dark circles under her eyes were testament of her long days.

“Stephanie has been calling asking where you are. Shit’s going down big time out there Riot, you gotta talk to her!”

The two-way came to life and she almost jumped in surprise. Steph got involved? Shit! She could kiss her job goodbye now. So much for Steph wanting her around for the long haul!

“Tell her I’m on my way to her office Brad! Give me the lowdown?”

There was static for a while before she got a response:

“Randy is pretty much beating John’s ass for trying to imply you’re an ‘easy girl’. It’s great to watch really, the crowd is loving it!”

Well OK, maybe she wouldn’t get fired straight away. Pulling her hair into a messy top bun, she released a long breath and unlocked the door and made her way to today’s production office, where she knew she’d find Stephanie. With little information on what exactly was happening out there, she had to make sure to be smart when asked about how all this had come to play.

Ana stopped outside Stephanie’s office and tried to compose herself before working up the courage to actually meet her boss, but she raised her hand to knock, the door was opened from the inside and Stephanie faced her with a bright smile.

“Come in!”

She ushered her inside and pushed her down on a sofa, offering her a glass of wine.

“I don’t drink on the job Steph, thanks though.”

Stephanie sat down and looked at her, a rather excited smile still on her face as she looked her up and down. She felt uncomfortable under the scrutiny, not sure what exactly brought this impromptu meeting on.

“You have no idea what’s going on out there, do you?”

There was no anger in her voice and she was very much still smiling like a little schoolgirl. Ana was confused as to what had brought this on but came to the conclusion that she wasn’t in trouble. As soon as that weight was lifted off her shoulders, she tried to relax and leaned back into the backrest.

“I don’t. I left for the bathroom when Cena mentioned me. I didn’t think anything good would come of it. Guess the wrestling circuit is very different to music after all.”

Stephanie laughed as her phone chimed and she jumped up from her spot to grab it from the table. Looking at the display, she held up a finger and answered the call.

“Yes, yes she’s here. No I haven’t…I will! I know that! Stop talking to me like I don’t know that Paul! Yes I will…Paul!”

She tore the phone away from her ear and ended the call as Ana could clearly still hear a voice on the other end. Did she just hang up on her husband?

“If I didn’t know you better, I would say there is something going on between you and Orton. It’s good that I do in fact know better. He has been riling you up for weeks and I guess he has been using me to help with that. I was told you kneed him in the balls before his fight and I am not asking the why, because I am sure that he deserved it. But with what has just gone down with him and Cena…I need you to watch this.”
She grabbed a remote and rewound the match. Ana didn’t feel comfortable in her skin at all. Stephanie sipped on her wine as the intro was played again. The initial talk that she had witnessed. But then:

“She bit off more than she could chew.”

Randy spit out, his eyes squinting towards Cena, not happy about this being taken further than he felt comfortable with.

“Isn’t it the truth, that our lovely Ana is good friends with everyone on this very Smackdown roster BUT you? I mean…she looked very happy when she left my dressing room earlier tonight.”

Randy was now stood up straight, the anger so apparent that she could feel it just watching the replay.

“She wouldn’t touch someone like you.”

He hissed, but the mic picked it up and the crowd went into complete silence, waiting for the comeback that Cena would have.

“Well let’s just say she didn’t kick my nuts but she l-“

and that’s when the bell rang and all hell broke loose. Ana watched in amazement as Randy went and completely destroyed Cena. If it hadn’t been for Kevin to interfere, she was sure Randy could have not only won the match but also hurt John in a bad way.
She was disturbed by the match. She never really watched the matches on the monitors when they were under way, but only just before and after one. So seeing these two rather impressive bodies fight it out over her…

“I was aware that he was playing you a bit and I am sorry that I was helping him in his scheme,…but I never thought it would play out like this. I am aware of my speech about fraternization and all… but damn, just look at Orton standing up for you out there!”

Ana had no idea what Stephanie was concluding to, so she sat up straight and had a sip of the wine she had been offered after all.

“You’ve never worked the WWE circuit before so I can only imagine how confused you are right now. Let me try and lay it down for you: John Cena having seen you knee Randy is the best thing to happen to your career.”

The door literally ripped open and Steph’s husband waltzed right in. As soon as he had both females in his sight, she slammed the door shut again and pointed a finger at Ana, waving it around as if to threaten her.

“You…you are possibly the best thing to happen to Orton in a long time.”