Status: Indefinite Hiatus

I'm Haunted by 100 Ghosts

The Prologue

I stood at the end of the driveway, staring up at the big house. It looked like it had been abandoned for years with one window broken out on the front porch (that still had yet to be fixed), and a creeper vine slowly crawling up the side of the gray brick.

The house had been standing here for as long as I remember and I knew back when I was in high school, all of the kids had called it “The Haunted House of Mayweather Drive.” Personally, I didn't believe the house was haunted, but then again, I wasn't one to believe in ghosts. I was more of a person who based everything off of proven facts, and so far, ghosts hadn't been proven to be real.

People called me crazy though when they found out what I had did; I ended up buying the place.

See, when I saw it up for sale not too many months ago, I looked into it and the place was going for cheap. Yeah, it had quite a few problems, but I was lucky as my father had worked in construction most of his life, and after he had retired, he didn't have much to do. He got a few of his friends and they offered to fix most of the problems with the place and give it a renovation that I had dreamed of.

...and to top it all, I had been in the house multiple time, and I haven't seen one ghost so far.

A mover truck sat behind me, all of my boxes from my parents house sitting inside of it and the moment my father told me that all of the work had been done, I was more than happy to move into the house that had technically been in my name for about three months now.

My friends were there to help me carry in the boxes and I heard a boy named Thomas mutter, “I still can't believe you bought the haunted house, Clarissa.”

“It's not haunted; I've told you this a million times,” I sighed, grabbing the first box out of the truck, holding the keys to the front door tightly in my hand. I hadn't seen the inside of the house since it had been fixed up so I was anticipating this for days.

My friends followed closely behind me, either carrying more boxes or pieces of furniture and I sat the one I was holding on the porch, unlocking the door to the house, and stepping in. The house smelled a little musty and no one had been in it for at least a week and I shivered a little bit as I took notice on how chilly the air was.

“Jeez, it feels like a freezer in here,” Ryea said, as she and Thames were carrying my old sofa in.

I looked around the house, not commenting back, and felt my heart swell at how great my father had fixed up the place. There were no more creaky boards, no graffiti on the walls; it was almost perfect. There was only one problem though, one of the living room lights were flickering as if it were a strobe light.

Thomas stared at it with wide eyes before shouting, “That's a sign! This house is haunted.”

“Thomas, you're overreacting,” Kirah muttered, slapping him on the arm before he shot daggers back at her. He was hellbent on telling me that this house was haunted and I was getting a little frustrated with him emphasizing such.

“Thomas, please stop,” I asked nicely, sitting down my box once again before I began to head back outside to grab more. There weren't that many, but there were quite a few pieces of furniture I would liked to have set up before this evening.

The four of us each went back and forth bringing in box after box before we brought in each piece of furniture while I directed where it all needed to go. I knew that some pieces needed to be put together and I planned to do that later on, but they didn't mind helping me put my bed together so I wouldn't have to sleep on the couch tonight.

It was almost eight by the time that three of us had flopped down on the couch and I ordered a couple of pizzas for us to share. We were all tired, a couple of us ready to head straight home, and I was about ready to thank everyone for the help when the lights all suddenly went out.

Thomas, who had been quiet since we had silenced his talk of ghosts, took in a deep breath of air to say something before I muttered, “I swear to god, Thomas, if this is another story about some-”

“Oh my god,” Ryea, gasped.

I whipped my head around only to see a glowing figure standing in the doorway. To me, it looked like a person wrapped up in a sheet, but that didn't stop my heart racing in my chest at the sight. I had no idea who or what this thing was, but I knew that they were invading my home.

“Who are you?” I snapped, standing up even though the room was pitch black.

There was a small cackle from the figure as it moved towards us and I heard Thomas beginning to hyperventilate behind me. He looked like he was clutching on Kirah's hand tightly and from the glow, I could see the look of terror in his eyes.

I stood strong though as my voice held a deadly tone, “Answer me. Who. Are. You?”

The figure was quiet for a second, a small giggle leaving it once again before it said in an almost otherworldly voice, “I'm the first,” was all it said.

“The first what?” I heard Thames ask.

There was another chuckle from the figure, “Well, I'm the first one out of one hundred.”

“One hundred what?” I asked, getting tired of this game.

Thomas sounded like he was losing his mind behind me before the figure chuckled again, “Well, your friend there knows perfectly. I remember him well.”

I glanced around, my eyes finding the boy who was shaking his head like a madman, looking like he wanted to run away, but was struck with fear before he shouted, “Ghosts! There's one hundred ghosts!”

“You're insane,” I snapped, looking back at the figure before it moved closer to me, saying, “Actually, he's not. By the way, my name's Classic, and we'll be talking again really, really soon.”

The voice chuckled once again before “Classic” disappeared into the floor and all the lights suddenly came back on. I winced as my eyes adjusted to the new brightness and I glanced back at Thomas, noticing that his face was pale and his eyes were bugged out of his head.

I stared at him for a long moment, worry setting in my expression as I leaned down next to him and asked, “Thomas... Can you perhaps explain what's going on and how that “ghost” knew that would could give a correct answer?”

He shook his head furiously for a second before Kirah squeezed his hand a little bit and he took in a deep breath of air before swallowing. His eyes told me that he was contemplating every word he wanted to come out of his mouth before he finally whispered, “I know for a fact that this house is haunted; that's why I kept trying to talk you out of buying it, Clarissa.”

“And how do you know that?” Thames asked, butting in as he did on occasions.

“B-Back when we were in high school, someone dared me to spend a night in here. I'm sure as you could tell when you bought the house, it was very easy to break in to and me thinking that ghosts weren't real, I just ended up taking the challenge without a second thought,” Thomas said, eyes still wide.

“What happened while you were here?” I asked him softly, feeling awful for snapping at him earlier when the figure had made its appearance into the room.

Thomas fiddled with his fingers for a second before he said, “Well, the first few hours were fine, but once it got close to midnight, things started taking a turn for the worst. I had fallen asleep around 11, but was woken up to something holding me up in the air. There were loads of shrieks, and other noises I can't explain; my items were floating around the room, but the one thing I really noticed was all the figures that greeted me in this very area... There were so many of them.”

“Are you sure they were ghosts?” My voice cracked softly, thinking about the idea myself. What if this house was haunted by one hundred ghosts? Would I be waking up every night to floating objects and unexplained shrieking? Was this all a waste of my money?

“What else could they be? I mean, yes, there could be a chance that there were props set up, but what are the chances that the exact same thing happened just a few minutes ago, but with just one ghost?” Kirah asked and I bit down on my lip.

I sighed loudly, sitting down on the floor, still trying to rationalize what happened in my head before I sighed, “Of course, I had to buy a haunted house. I'm stuck being haunted by one hundred ghosts. How did I manage to get myself tied up in this one?”

And honestly, that was only the beginning of this tale.
♠ ♠ ♠
Despite the first chapter being a little serious, the story isn't going to be as much as a "doom and gloom" as most of you may think. I bought a book that has illustrations of 100 different ghosts and I'm here to bring each one of those ghosts to life in Clarissa's home.

I can't say how often this will update, but I will say that I'm excited about this story and I hope you all will be too.

Enjoy.

I'm also awful at first chapters...