Paws.

one

The rain falls from the sky. It’s a wet and wintry night. An iridescent glow faintly from behind the clouds - it’s the moon trying to break free.

I take comfort as I know who is beside me, while I watch the gloomy night sky. I glance to my side, taking in my companion, glistening black coat and sparkling yellow eyes stare at me. Her fur is like silk as I reach to put my hand on her back. She nudges my wrist with her pink, wet nose and I smile. I pick her up, press my lips to her forehead and place her in my warm lap, knowing she’ll curl up and be warm from this frosty night.

A brooding call erupts the silence and both of our heads meet piercing blue orbs. His chocolate tail swirls from side to side as he meows again. I pat the side of my body, on the bed, motioning for him to join us.

He jumps up without hesitation and starts to purr, enjoying the attention when I give him a chin scratch. He sits, with his tail curled around his regal frame. He looked like a Burmese with his chocolate ends and creamy body. He mews and I stop my chin scratching, letting him get comfortable as he lays beside me.

Little miss purrs in my lap as her eyes slowly falter into darkness. I smile to myself, thinking how innocent and beautiful they are.

I reach my hand out to caress his fur, it’s coarse but soft at the same time as he’s short-haired. He mews, purring and looking up at me with droopy eyes and a cat smile. A giggle rolls off my tongue as I lean down and press my lips to his forehead.
He returns the love I have given with a quick lick to my cheek and I pull away, looking down at the yellow eyed girl. She cocks her head to the side, as if to say what about me. I lean down and peck her forehead also.

I sigh, looking out into the dark night. I feel her licking my hand, tasting the saltiness of my skin. But I zone out thinking about life’s woes. Thinking about how different I would be without my furry companions. I can honestly say it’s changing how much one animal can love you, it’s also changing in yourself how much you can love one animal (or more). It’s rather beautiful how compassionate and unconditional the love can be between human and feline.

A meow snaps me out of my night dreaming, I notice a ginger and white fellow at the window. I curve my lips up into a smile, while I detach myself from the fluffy black cat and place her onto the warm spot on my bed. I approach the window and unlock it from the middle, holding the button and pulling it open.

An aggressive wave of cold hits my body and face as I watch the ginger and white cat hop inside and shake as if he was shivering from the cold.
I quickly close the window, letting the winter cold begone and warmth of my heater engulfs the room instantly.

He meows, loud and proud and I hush him by picking up his small frame. I press my cool face into his warm fur, inhaling the faint scent. This one smelled like old milk however, I pulled away with a grimace.

I pop the ginger and white cat on the ground and look down at him, meeting his green orbs with a smile.

“Don’t worry, you’re home now.”