The Cumber-Cover-Up

The Waterpark

Ben sat down on the edge of the desk and ran a hand through his locks. Was it possible? Could that really be the way out of this? Lila was talking, but he had no idea what she was saying. His head was wrapped up in the complex scheme she had suggested, trying to find a workable plot.

"...but really it's all up to you." Lila took a deep breath and flopped onto the couch, leaning over the arm at the far end. She was hoping he would say it wouldn't work, it was a bad idea, and he would rather hire some young pretty actress to go along with it. Although, that was how they'd gotten here in the first place...

Lila’s idea was clear in her mind, she just had to work out the final details: who was his mysterious lover? Who was this ‘taboo’ girl that his PR agency wouldn’t allow him to date publicly? It had to be believable - someone he’d been seen with publicly over the past few years, so pictures and personal accounts could corroborate their tale. Someone with a backstory, but not too much that it seemed staged.

“Who am I dating?” Ben asked absently after they’d recounted the details. “Who can’t I have, that I want? Another public figure?”

“No, we would have to convince her to go along with it,” Lila shook her head.

“Then we make up a girl. She’s….a spy, who can’t be photographed with me, so there’s no proof. We met while I was filming abroad, maybe….South Africa? That time I got carjacked- perhaps, she swooped in in the end and saved us, and we fell madly, but secretly, in love.”

Lila laughed. “That’s crazy, no one would believe that! ‘A’ for effort, though.”

“Then what’s your idea?”

“I don’t know, maybe an old childhood friend, or a classmate-”

“-I went to an all boys school.” Ben interrupted.

“Right, and we’re looking for a girl, so I guess that’s not an option….” Lila thought some more. “Maybe, a family friend? Someone you grew up with, considered them to be like family?”

“That’s borderline incest.”

“Okay, maybe she has a criminal record?”

“For what? Murder? Drug dealing? I’m not sure I would date someone like that, unless she had a good reason.”

“Damn, Benny, this is hard. What reasons to do normal people have for not dating? Besides being related, or already in a relationship…. maybe, they’re co-workers? The whole boss/employee thing is kind of looked down upon. Or, maybe she’s an immigrant, and people think she’s just looking for a green card, but-”

“That’s it!” Ben interrupted Lila, his tired eyes glowing greener and bluer and brighter than ever, pulsing with electricity. It was so clear, so obvious, it was literally right in front of him! He stood up and took a step forward, looking off in the distance somewhere near the door of the office.

It was perfect, everything lined up and matched perfectly, and the best part was that it was kind of true. It wouldn’t be a sham or a cover-up, it would be absolutely (mostly) real! How could he not have noticed before?

“What?” Lila asked again, and stood up from her desk to stand in front of him. “The part about the immigrant?”

“The answer has been here the whole time. It’s so obvious, isn’t it?” He smiled down at her, as if she knew what he was talking about. Still out of the loop, Lila shook her head.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, but okay.” She was tired, but ready to go along with whatever plan he came up with that worked.

"Lil," he said excitedly and slid over to the couch. "Remember when we went to that water park?" He was smiling, but more enthusiastically than if he were just recalling a fond memory. There was almost a devious hint in his greenish eyes, and Lila wasn't sure what to think of it.

"Uhhh you mean the one in Florida?" It was the only time she could remember going to a water park with him, so it had to be that one.

"Yes!" He smiled excitedly. "Do you think anyone got our picture?"

Really? That's what he wants to know in a time like this?

But of course Lila remembered their visit to Blizzard Beach in Orlando Florida. How could she forget her first solo trip with him? Normally she stayed in London and made plans for him when he traveled (among other things) and someone else did the actual traveling with him. It was a simple enough job and Lila didn't mind it at all.

When her coworker got pregnant and couldn't travel anymore, she and Lila switched jobs. It wasn't supposed to be that hard, and since she was American the PR agency assumed it would be easier if she traveled with Ben to the US, instead of someone more experienced.

Right.

They landed in Florida without a problem, and, jet lagged, they hopped in the car waiting to take them to their hotel. The rooms were reserved under her coworkers name, which was common (in order to keep Ben anonymous) so Lila didn't think anything of it. Until they got to the rooms in question and realized it was a suite for, perhaps, a family. Tired, Ben said it was fine. There were two beds and it was a big enough room they would have their own space.

"No, I'm going to check with the front desk again. See if there was a mistake or something," she forced a smile and made the trek back down to the lobby. She knew exactly what she was going to say, and she would be strong and confident and do exactly what Tilda Marsten, her co worker, would have done.

"I'm sorry, we don't have any single rooms available here. This is the family suite branch of Disney resort, so all of the rooms are like the one you have. Your rooms are non refundable, but If you'd like I can find another place for you and Mr. Marsten to stay?"

She was so kind and understanding that Lila didn't know how to respond. "Okay."

"And what about your children?"

Lila blinked. She'd flown across the Atlantic Ocean and hadn't slept in 19 hours, but she was damned sure she didn't have any children. Unless Ben did, but she did think so.

"I'm sorry? What?"

"It says on your reservation that you have two children with you under the age of five, is that right?"

Oh.My.God. Lila's heart stopped. Had they stolen someone's reservation?!! Her head spun with thoughts, none of them making it to her mouth and she stood there sputtering like an old tractor. Her blurry eyes ran over the reservation receipt Tilda had given her when they left, and it all added up. Except the two kids, and the whole Disney Resort thing.

Disney Resort? Wait....

Hadn't she been planning a vacation with her family? Lila couldn't remember, it was weeks ago, but she thought Tilda had been planning a trip to Disney with her family, until she found out she couldn't fly because she was pregnant. Was it possible Tilda had accidentally gotten the two mixed up?

The air returned to Lila's lungs and she relaxed, only to have it sucked back out again as a hand slid slowly across her lower back. It wasn't until she heard that rugged yet silken voice that she realized Ben had joined her in the lobby.

"Don't worry, we'll take the room. The kids are at their grandparents this week; it was a surprise," he calmly explained and leaned into her, gently resting his head on hers. "My wife is just a little tired, aren't you Tilda?"

Lila laughed and felt so many emotions she wasn't sure which one would come out. "You're right, I am tired..." She smiled dumbly and realized she didn't know Tilda's husband's name. "Mr. Marsten and I should probably head back upstairs. Sorry for bothering you."

"Thanks," Ben said quickly as the two fought back a giggle and leaned on each other as they made their way to the elevator. The doors slowly closed and Lila broke, nearly falling over with laughter and pent up anxiety.

"Mr. Marsten!?" Ben said while laughing. "Why'd you have to call me that? I nearly lost it!"

"Cause I don't know his name!" Lila leaned back against the wall of the elevator. "And where did you come from?"

He'd been like her knight in shining armor or fairy godmother, appearing out of nowhere when she most needed help.

"I got a text from Tilda. She realized she made the wrong reservations when she got a notification we'd checked in. So, this is our room for the week," he half grimaced, "but we also have passes to a pretty cool looking water park."

Lila was still getting over the shock, but managed to smile at Ben's enthusiasm toward Blizzard Beach.