Status: Something new I am trying out.

What Have You Done

Hello Mother

"Mom...dad?"
I stared in disbelief. Why was she here? I didn't invite her and I knew damn will Brian wouldn't do that to me.

My eyes met Jimmy and from the way he wouldn't look at me I knew this was his doing.

"Jimmy...how could you." I stepped out on the porch and closed the door behind me. "How could you?" I shoved him hard in the chest. "You knew I wanted to tell them."

"Emory!" My father grabbed my hand from hitting my brother again. "Stop it."

"No fuck you Jimmy. Turn around get in your car and get the fuck away from me." I demanded.

"You too." I said pointing at Jade. "Go!"

I hesitantly opened the front door to let my parents inside. What was I supposed to do? Tell my parents to leave? I'm sure that would work out real well for me. I could see it now. The next thing they would do is have the church come pray over Brian’s house.

I cautiously brought my parents down stairs and into the den where Brian and Owen were playing with Legos. The sight of them brought a smile to my face and instantly I wanted to jump into Brian’s arms and tell him how much I love seeing him as Owen’s father.

“Look whose here!” I awkwardly say.

Brian’s eyes widen in horror. Neither of us had discussed how we would talk to my parent’s about these things. Brian awkwardly waves not really sure of himself just as I am.

“That’s him?” My mother’s eyes softened, her hand reaches her lips as she stared at Owen in disbelief. “He’s so beautiful.” She sat on the couch that was closest to Owen. “You look so much like your mother.” She softly says.

“So.” My dad sits straight up on the recliner next to my mother. “Jimmy said you’ve been here for nearly a month and haven’t bothered contacting us. That’s really mature of you.” He sarcastically laughs. “You wanted to grow up so fast and here you are at twenty-three still acting like a child.” He pauses. “And you.” He points at Brian, “Completely betrayed our family. How could you do that to us?”

“Dad.” I warn him. I can see that this is heading for disaster and it’s been all of five whole minutes. “Don’t start shit. This isn’t your home.” I remind.

Owen perks up at the sound of my bad word. “Mommy!”

I slowly scoop him up into my arms and kiss his cheek. “I’m sorry bud. Mommy is just a little upset. Can you do dad and I a favor and go play in your room for a few minutes?”

“But mommy. I wanna play with Daddy.” He whines. “Please?”

“And you can in a little bit but daddy and I need to talk to the other adults for a little bit Ok?” I set him down to his feet and watch as he somberly heads up the stairs. It’s completely breaking my heart and I’m positive Owen is trying to make this more difficult for me to watch.

My father rolls his eyes as soon as Owen is upstairs and can no longer hear our voices. “Well, welcome to the family Brian.” He pauses, “Thank you for being the reason we don’t know our grandchild.”

My voice gets caught in my throat. I can't believe this. Its one thing for them to continuously talk down to me but talking down to Brian is not going to help anything. I can hardly contain my anger. “Brian is not the problem here. You two kicked me out because I wanted to keep Owen. Brian’s parents offered to let me live with them especially when they found out that I was pregnant with Brian’s child. This has nothing to do with the Haner’s this is all on you two.” I pause catching my breath. “You had every opportunity to be involved in Owen’s life. You chose not to be.”

My father kicks in back in his chair. “Well, it might have been different if Brian was more responsible and had the decency to not have sex with a seventeen year old.”

I see Brian’s breathing start to get heavier. He’s biting his lip desperately trying not to speak. I know that if he says one word then all hell is going to break lose. I sit next to him on the floor and gently hold his hand reassuring him that we are in this together.

“Seriously. The past is the past. You need to get over it. Brian and I have made things work this long…he still saw Owen regularly even though he could have just bailed out considering I lived in a different country. Brian has been there for Owen more than anyone else, you should be thanking him for not being a dead beat father…he was young too.” The word vomit feels like it’s going to continue but Brian lightly squeezes my hand reminding me not get worked up.

“But to hide that Brian was the father for so long? You turned 18 while you were still pregnant. What’s the excuse for that one?” My mother’s voice sounds annoyed and part of me doesn’t blame her while the other part of me want’s to explode on her. “We would have been more understanding.”

“Oh please you threatened to throw the father in prison when I told you that he was over age. You repeatedly tried to get me to confess that I was raped.” I stare at her in disbelief. “What did you expect me to do? I was young and scared.” I take in a deep breath and try to control my shaking hands. “Is this all that you came here for, to tell Brian and I that we are shitty parents?”

“Well, I can see that we are not wanted here.” She stands to her feet. “I expect to see you at church on Sunday. It will probably help your situation to have some prayer’s going around for you.”

Brian’s limits have finally been pushed. Although his voice is calm I can tell he is close to exploding at them. “I think it’s best we do this another day. Em, and I have to put Owen to bed. We’ll think about church but right now is not a good time. I think it's best you don't come around until you can be a little more forgiving. Isn't that what your church tells you to do?"

Just as my father is planning on responding. Owen comes bouncing down the stairs saving the day. "I'm bored."

Brian and I stand to our feet prepared to walk my parents out. "You wanna go get him ready and I'll walk them out?" I ask Brian.

He nods his head and hurries up the stairs with Owen closely behind.

I open the front door for my parents. They look at me with disappointment and for once in my life I don't care about anything they have to say. I lightly grab my mother's hand before she fully exits. I stare deep into her blue eyes looking for something to tell me that she is still here to be my mother, but there is nothing there.

"I'm sorry it came down to this...let me know when you're ready to let go of the past and I'll be happy to have you over for dinner some time..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a filler not much going on the next chapter is going to be better more details and stuff. I just wanted everyone to see the relationship between the parents and em.