The Matchmaker Society

The Woman

September 27th,

Another day in the life of a matchmaker is over; I traveled to Rome today for a few quick assignments. First was a man in his 30s, he had been in love with his best friend’s wife for years; hiding his affections for her the best he could just awaiting a miracle to circle him. Well, I was that miracle. It took some time and some help from the other matchmakers but we split up the wife and her husband, and she went crying to the man she truly loves. Happily ever after for them I suppose. The husband had someone in line for him as well; a woman from America named Pauline. But that's an assignment for someone else.

What’s a match maker you ask? Well, we are a secret society of individuals who I bet you'd never guess; we match people up with their destined soulmate. Such a silly concept if you ask me, but it's honestly better than the life I lived before this.

**

I sighed and closed my diary closed and gave myself a mental note to continue my entry later; I was too exhausted to continue writing. I walked out onto the balcony of my room and stared out into the open abyss of the beautiful world I lived in. The moon was shining bright in the sky, like it did every night. I breathed in the night air and turned and made my way back to my messy bed and lied down and closed my eyes for a brief moment, and found myself thinking of all the events that led up until now.

My mother had died when I was 10 years old, she got caught up in a mess of a situation which involved her doing things she never thought to be doing. Like, stealing and doing drugs and other things to support me and my alcoholic father. Things got out of hand one night, and I watched as a strange man took my mother’s life right in front of me, with one strike from a shot gun and she was gone.

I miss her truly, but that life is gone now.

After she had died, I stayed living with my father. I wish I hadn't, he only continued his alcoholic ways. He remarried and the woman he was with was just as nasty and abusive, I hated her with every inch of me. But I had tried to move on with my life and to make the best of any situation; all was well until I entered High School. Which is where the bullying and abuse really started; the girls at school teased me about nearly everything. My hair, my weight, my clothes, my eyes, my height, my voice; everything they could think of they teased me about. One in particular was a real gem, Sydney Messier. She had it out for me ever since the second grade when we had a disagreement on the playground and I had apparently stolen one of her best friends from her. It was petty pretty much, but she had the goal of making my life miserable ever since.

She had 100% succeeded with that.

By the end of 9th grade I had already attempted killing myself more than once. The first time swallowing half a bottle of my step mothers medication, which had only put me into a deep drug induced sleep for nearly two days. And the other I ran in front of traffic, but only got a broken arm out of that time. Which also got me locked up in a mental institution for a month; it didn’t help the bullying at all. If anything it made it much worse because they had something else to bully me about above everything else.

I was young, broken and scared when the strange lady started appearing in my peripheral vision; like she was watching me. Wanting to ask me something, to approach me with a prophecy that could change my life; I knew it had something to do with that. It was the summer going into tenth grade that I had started to dream about her, she didn’t say anything to me at first. She wore a long white gown, and had dark feathery wings tethered to her back, she walked with confidence in her step and almost like she glided. She just watched, waited, stared. Until one night after a third suicide attempt of slicing the veins hidden in my wrists open, I lay in the hospital bed waiting for the pain medication to kick in. I stared at the ceiling when the darkness of sleep finally welcomed me and for the first time, the strange lady spoke to me.

‘I could make this all go away you know’

‘How?’ I nearly laughed, glancing at my stitched up wrists doubting that any of the pain I felt would ever end.

‘You could become one of us.’ She answered back to me, in a tone that made it feel like I was supposed to know exactly what she meant.

‘And what exactly are you supposed to be?’ I snickered back in a sarcastic tone, just wishing this weirdo would leave me alone.

‘I am a member of the secret matchmaking society.’