The Matchmaker Society

The Promise of Forever Young

I remember just thinking to myself, 'What the fuck lady?' and shaking my head at her. She had no reaction to the bewilderment on my face, instead she grabbed my cold hands and traced the bandage on my arm, and I winced at the pain from her touch on the fresh stitches.

"Can you not?" I shot out at her, pulling my arm away roughly.

She sat there with a smile on her face, and let go of my hand. Still staring at me with that glazed look in her eyes, I turned over and put the pillow over my face as I was tired and just wanted to sleep.

"If you choose to do this..." She started saying, as I pretended to be asleep. "...I can make all your pain and troubles go away and can promise you a life of no suffering and forever youth."

I groaned and rolled back over, knowing she wasn't going to give it all up that easy. I sat up and glanced at the woman, and thought to myself; well maybe she's serious about this and I should just hear her out.

"What do I have to do?" I asked out of curiosity, closing my eyes and holding my breath.

"Now that's the spirit!" She replied excitedly jumping up off the bed clapping her hands. "You will start off with one month of matchmaker training which includes, two weeks in the classroom and two weeks in the field along side a senior matchmaker. Once the training is complete and graduation is held, you are on your own from there and given tasks of who to match that day. It could be from anywhere in the world as one of our perks is being able to teleport from where ever." That peaked my interest a little.

"How do we know who to match?" I pondered trying to take it all in.

"It's all in a database on one of the main computers, you'll learn all about that in your training during the first two weeks. As well as once you graduate from training we also have you in extra classes twice a week to learn new things about match making as well."

I nodded.

"And you said, if I agree to this...that you'll take all my pain away?"

"Yes, all you have to do is say yes and I'll take you right now the portal to your new world." I considered everything for a moment, I wanted to decline as she seemed like a crazy lady on drugs. Yet, she seemed sincere as well. So, in a moment of haste and the pain from my stitches I reluctantly agreed.

"Great!" She reached over the bed and touched my forehead with two fingers.

Within an instant we were transported to a beautiful field of roses, and standing in front of us was a large gate. I breathed in deeply and realized I couldn't feel a thing, glancing down at my wrists their were no scars or cuts in sight. My head was throbbing with terrible memories of my past, it felt as if a great barrier was lifted off my shoulders and hidden far away.

I glanced to the left of me and noticed another girl about a year or two younger than me was standing next to me, she had jet black hair and bright green eyes. I noticed she had the same look of confusion but happiness on her face as I did.

"We are just waiting on one other and then we can head on in." The woman said glancing at us and taking in the happiness planted on our faces. "My name is Julia by the way, I am one of the senior matchmakers here; if you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know. We want to make sure you have the best experience possible here."

"Where are we?" The younger girl asked picking a flower from the ground and taking a sniff from it and enjoying the freshness.

"Somewhere in America at the moment, but soon we will be in the matchmaker societies secret world." Julia replied pointing up at the gate leading into the 'secret world'.

In a small flash a boy appeared next to me, he had dark brown hair and glasses that where to big for his face.

"Alright, everyone is here. Are we ready to head in to your new life?"

I glanced up at the gate before me, not knowing if I should nod and head on in or to refuse and get back to my old life.

I decided to follow along with everyone else, taking a giant leap to the start of my new life.