Falling Through Time and Space

chapter two

Running in lehenga (the heavy, embroider skirt) while carrying the baby Electirificans was quite a feat.

I could feel my thigh muscles strain as we ran down the back roads. The Doctor, who still haven't said his first name or last, was ahead, running lithely as if his foot was barely touching the ground. He barely gasped or stopped to take a breath. Wished we could grab a taxi or something but it wasn't possible because how will I explain to the driver about the alien?

The Institute was quite far from the residential areas but it wasn't close to the Strip. I knew the general area of where it was located. Mind you, it's been years since I have been to the Institute. What really confused me was that we weren't running towards the institute. I was just following the Doctor until I needed to get answers. I pushed my legs faster to get to his level.

“Doctor!” I yelled out, gasping for breath. “The way we are running towards does not lead to the Institute!”

“I imagine it's quite far from your house, correct?” He said, then noticed the conditions of my blotchy face. He reduced his run to a jog and I sighed brokenly in relief.

“Yes, you are absolutely correct. So, where exactly are we going?”

“We can't take a taxi because humans are still not in the time period where they believe in aliens so lots of questions will be asked.” He continued on, finally stopped into a halt. He turned to me and grinned. I didn't pay attention to it. In fact, I was quite weirded out the way he spoke.

Humans are still not in the time period where they believe in aliens… He is talking as if he knew which time period he was talking about. So, there is a time period that exist but how would he know that? He was talking about the future of Earth so...how…?

My eyes widened in realization. Time traveling. He must be talking about time traveling.

“You okay?” I heard him ask but I was too busy in my own world. He was talking about time traveling! But, that is so absurd! How can there be such thing--- my eyes caught the alien baby in my arms. This baby is an Alien and it came to earth in a space ship. If aliens and space ships are real, then why shouldn't time traveling also be real? I glanced at the man, this being, in front of me, who was looking at me with concern.

If my hypothesis is correct, this man had traveled in time multiple times to know all this information. A time traveler is standing before me...my head felt light on my shoulder. I am standing before a person who is the best answer to this time period question: can time travel be achieved?

“You!” I exclaimed suddenly which made him jump in surprise.

“Me? What did I do?” He asked in a high pitched voice, as if he was scolded all the time. I would have laughed at his voice if I wasn't so taken on what he was.

“You are a time traveler!” I said, smiling. His eyes widened in shock then turned contemplative. He was quiet as he mulled over whatever he was thinking.

“How did you find out?” He finally asked, cocking his head to the side.

“It was merely a hypothesis but I gathered the way you chose your words.” I explained and he mouthed ‘my words’ to himself. “You were talking about how in this time period where humans still didn't believe in aliens. Your way of saying those words rang weird with me so I analyzed it. With the evidence of an Alien in my arms, I have come to conclusion that you are a time traveler.” I ended my explanation and expected him to rebuke it. I could be totally wrong. He could be one of the humans living here who somehow knows the existence about aliens and was being tracked down by NASA.

He broke into a huge smile and laughed his chest off. “You are absolutely correct! You are quite quick-witted, aren't you?”

“Well, you have to be to live in this world. There is no time to be living in ignorance. And I am quite in love was medical science.” I said and I kicked out the cramps on my legs. “I have so many questions for you but first, we need to return this baby to her mother. So, the first question still hasn't been answered: where are we going?”

“To my spaceship. It will take us to the Institute way faster.” He finally answered and I let out a squeal of excitement. Which caused the baby alien to cry out in displeasure. Cooing at her to settle down, we wasted no time and continued on our way.

“So, if you are in the medical field, how are you so...open to something that could have been false?” The Doctor asked, huffing for breaths in the middle. I shifted the baby higher on my waist as I tried to take a deep breath.

“Just because I love biology and the science of life doesn't mean I am going to be ignorant to other type of sciences.” Another huge breath. “Isn't accepting life in outer space consider life science in a grand scheme of things? I decided to further my education on space and relevance of time and continuity by attending a very expensive seminar hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It was worth the splurge. I came out of the seminar with the understanding of how huge the universe is. No matter how you---or I--- try to understand the depth of space, it just leaves you discombobulated.”

“I met him! What a great and quirky guy! Intelligent man!” He yelled out, laughing. “Wait! I haven't even asked you your name!”

“Zahra Qureshi.” I supplied. I suddenly stopped, spotting something ahead of us. “A person! We should hide!”

“Why? We are just two people jogging!” He said. I raised my eyebrow and I glanced down at my attire. “A very, festive jogging! No time to waste!” Shrugging, we continued to run past the man. After few more feet of running, the Doctor yelled out, “There she is!”

“Where who is?” I asked as we took a sudden turn into an alley. I gaped at the sight that was before me. In the garbage cluttered alleyway, an old-fashioned phone booth was stationed right in the middle of the alley. It was indigo blue with white lettering saying POLICE BOX. “What in the world…”

“Zahra, that is the TARDIS! It’s an acronym for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. She is my spaceship. Isn’t she a beauty?” The Doctor introduced, brandishing his arm towards his ship. I eyed the machine with a cocked eyebrow.

“Of all the shapes and sizes of space ships you can have, you decided this was it?” I finally asked, curious. The Doctor reeled back as if I physically shoved him. I realized how...mean I sounded and cleared my throat. “What I meant was...isn’t this flashy? Won’t people realize that there is blue phonebox flying through air? Wouldn’t something subtle would have worked for you?”

The Doctor realized that I wasn’t making fun of it decided to laugh away his insulted ego. “The TARDIS is quite an advanced ship. It has this technology, this force field, that hides itself from the conscious of people. People will walk past it, without even realizing that it’s right there under their nose. Only way a person can find her is if the person is really looking for it. If I hadn’t told you about my spaceship, you wouldn’t have been able to her.” he explained, rubbing the sides of the ship, a fond smile on his face. I looked at his ship in wonder.

“Why do you call the ship a ‘she’? Is this ship sentient?” I asked as I watched him rummage through his jacket’s pocket.

“Oh yes! She is the Queen, or think she is. If you want a library, you just think about it and if she likes you, she will lead you the library. She is quite amazing, my girl. There was one companion of mine that she wasn't quite fan of…Rose!

The sudden yell from the Doctor took me by surprised which caused the baby Electrifician to look at me in puzzlement. Rose? Maybe, it's the password to get into the ship. I watched how the Doctor slapped his forehead, as if he remembered something.

“I forgot to tell you something important. Before you go in, you have to know that I always have a companion with me. Her name is Rose Tyler and she in there.” He notified me, giving me a sheepish look. I raised my eyebrow at his antics again.

Is she going to kill me…?” I asked and he shook his head side to side. “Then, what’s the problem? I thought you were the driver of this ship? Don’t you decide who or who doesn’t enter your ship?”

He looks little bit flustered. “I-mean-yeah, I decide who goes in. It’s just that Rose is…” The Doctor was stumped, he couldn’t find the words to describe his companion.

“Possessive?” I supplied, then shook my head. “Whatever she is, she gotta suck it up. The longer this baby is separated from it’s mom, the faster it’s going to look elsewhere for maternal love: me. I am not even ready for a human baby.”

“All right. All right.” he said, removing a single key from his pocket. “She is not possessive. She just...worries a lot, you know.”

“No, I don’t know.” I deadpanned. He didn’t answer as he shoved the key into the keyhole. The door opened outwards. The Doctor stood beside the door and waved me to go inside. I took a step over the threshold, after a bit hesitancy from my side. Jaw scraping against the floor of the ship, I slowly walked further into the ship. On the outside, the ship had the normal dimension of a regular phone booth you come across, but on the inside….On the inside, it was completely different story. It was impossible but here we are, in a cavernous room inside a one-person phone booth.

The walls were lined with circular objects that let out golden light. Despite it having edges on the outside, the room was circular. Wishbone-shaped pillars held up the ceiling of the TARDIS. Right in the center of the room, was some sort of console that was connected both to the ceiling and the raised platform it was on. It had levers, buttons, weird-shaped balls and TV were embedded on the console.

Right beside the console, stood a blond haired girl with dark eyes. She had turned to look at who opened the door and she currently was looking at me, with indescribable look on her face. I decided not to think too much into it and turned around to face the Doctor. He beamed at me when I turned to look at him, pride gleaming in his eyes.

“She is beautiful, Doctor. Magnificent. This ship literally kicks physics ass. The impossibility of being bigger on the inside...magnificent.” I praised, looking around once more. The sound of walking from behind me caught my attention. I turned around to meet Rose’s eyes again. “You must be Rose.”

“Yes and who are you?” asked Rose, folding her arms across her chest.

“Zahra.” I answered, guarded. “Now, as much as this introduction was pleasant,” I turned around to meet Doctor’s eyes, who in fact looked really confused, “we should get ahead and find this baby’s mother.”

That snapped the Doctor into work. He whizzed past us two to get the console. I gave Rose a smile and walked past her as well. There was chairs behind the consoles so deciding the best way not to jostle the baby too much, I sat down on one of them. I watched as how he zoomed around the console, flicking knobs, pushing levers, pulling levers...it was so chaotic and some voice in my head kept on whispering to me to check if he was actually the person who he says he is.

Rose stood slightly behind the Doctor, watching as well, but there was fondness in her eyes. I watched as Doctor seemingly stopped in front of Rose and gave one of his smile/smirk to her. Rose just giggled in return, blushing. The Doctor stared bit longer then continued in his work.

How interesting…, I thought to myself, looking down at the baby Alien to hide my smirk. No wonder she is possessive. She is in love with him. And he back. I snorted to myself in amusement. What did she thought? That I was going to steal him away from her? I have my own wedding to be worried about; I have no time to juggle two things at once.

Rose should just tell her feelings to him and get it over with. Her… I glanced back at the Doctor as a question appeared in my head.

“Um, Doctor?” I called out, causing the said person to look at me as he pumped a lever. He indicated for me to keep on talking. “You knew about the baby Electificans specifications, am I correct?”

“Yeah, you are right.” he asked, confused. Rose stood next to him. My eyes flittered over to her then back at the Doctor.

“You knew that the babies only attach themselves to females. You wouldn’t have been able to rescue the baby unless you were going to be violent. Why didn’t you let Rose help you out in that area? The time wasted by chasing after the baby could have been considerable short if this baby girl sought Rose out. I am just curious.” I hastily added the last part. I watched as Doctor and Rose shared a caution-filled look. “It’s your decision to say, at the end of the day. I mean, we will see each for only few minutes and that’s it, we will never see each other again.”

Why did that make me sad?

The Doctor sigh was a long one. “It’s complicated, Zahra. I am sure Rose would be beside me all the way through...It’s just that it’s complication with time and space dimensions. If she could, she would.” the Doctor said, the last sentence made him morose. I eyed as Rose placed her hand on her shoulder, comfortingly. He looked at me and I simply nodded. “And what makes you think today is the last day and time I will see you? I will see you again.”

I barked out a laughter. “How? I am going to get married off.”

“You are not dying after you get married, Zahra.” he said, laughing. I gave him a guilty smile.

“True enough.” It just going to be hard strike against my character, that's all. I sighed. How would they know what it feels like to be ripped apart from you believe in? Maybe they did; how would I know what they went through?

“If you don’t mind me asking, why are you so sad about your wedding?” asked Rose, looking confused. I glanced at the engagement ring on my finger and shook my head.

“He is a great guy, my fiance. No doubt about it. He is just...conservative just like his family. He is the type who believes in housewife and all. Oh, he will let me work; it just I have to get it approved by him.” I explained, bitterly. I felt the familiar burning sensation behind my eyes again. “I worked so hard to be where I am. All nighters, crying, stress-induced vomiting, you name it; I went through hell to get this degree I am so passionate about...it's going to go all away. I tried to convince my mother of all this but she doesn't see it. All she sees is two reputed families joining together. All she cares about is the reputation she will gain from this marriage.”

I watched as one tear fell on my henna covered hands. “This adventure I am going through with you guys is like almost freeing. It like put my impending tying of the knot at the background and plus, it's aliens!” I said, laughing through my sobs. “I can't believe I am in time machine with an Alien on my lap and two time travelers beside me. It's like I am in a dream that I don't want to end. But I am logical enough to know that some good things have to end. I should just accept what fate dealt me with and just go on with my life.”

I felt hands envelope mine and I glanced up to see it was Rose. “I don't know what you feeling so I feel a bit hypocritical saying it. It may sound bad right now but marriage is all about compromise. You two have to come to an agreement that benefits both of you. It won't be a walk in the park but it is a step forward. You can't think your life is already ended if you haven't experienced it yet. Maybe, he will be great to you. Maybe, he will understand with you and let you decide your own way. Do you really know him?” Rose said, rubbing my hands. I looked at her with wide eyes. I thought I would get hostility from her because I was near the Doctor but no, I was completely wrong about her. She was compassionate; she wore her heart on her sleeves.

“I don't really know him.” I admitted, softly. “Every time I have met him, it was with his parents around. I haven't really spoken with him on one-on-one with him.”

“Then, how can you decide if you as a person will end when you get married?” She asked and I shrugged.

“I can't decide that. You are right. I already starting to assume the outcome of this marriage and it altered the way I thought to something so...finite.” I said, feeling hope fluttered behind my chest. “Thank you, Rose. I know we haven't known each other for a long time, but I do believe that advice from strangers can be just as worthwhile as from someone you know. Thank you very much.”

Rose gave me a soft smile and stood up. I glanced at the Doctor who was smiling at us. “So,” I began, clearing my throat, “when are we leaving?”

“Now! Hold on tight, Zahra, it's going to be a bumpy ride!” Doctor called out and smashed a red button. The TARDIS shuddered, making me clutch the baby alien closer to my body with one hand and the other holding on to a railing. The baby cried out in shock and I rocked her to calm her down.

Even though the TARDIS began to shake fervently, both Rose and the Doctor stood around as if it was a smooth drive. Both of them were laughing and giggling and I couldn't help but follow their act. Despite it being a bumpy ride, it was quite fun. Then abruptly, the TARDIS gave out a loud noise then stopped shaking.

“We are here!” The Doctor announced, bounding towards me.

“Already? That was like five seconds!” I cried out, shocked. “Oh wait, I forgot it is a spaceship.” I got up and hiked up the baby alien higher on my waist. “So we outside the Institute or inside? It would be quite difficult getting in. High security.”

“According to the TARDIS, we are inside. Let's go, Zahra. Rose will stay behind because of the complications. You will be alright?” The Doctor asked, looking at his companion.

“I am alright. Nothing can get through those doors. Return the baby. Go.” Rose said, pain flitting through her eyes. She wanted to go but she couldn't. I wonder what these complications were.

“We will be back in a jiffy.” I said, walking towards the door. “Come on, Doctor. We have lots to do.”

Both of us walked out to a deserted, carpeted hallway. I put my mouth close to the baby and said, “Don't worry. Your mom is close by.” In answer, the baby trilled happily. I nodded at the Doctor to follow me then continued to lead the way.

I still remember how to navigate these hallways. The journey that I took as a child through this Institution was amazing, thus the reason my love for reptiles. I hurried down the stairs that lead to the arena. I ran up to thick steel doors but it was locked by keypad.

“Shit! It's locked. What now, Doctor? This is the only way in! How would the Mom get in? This is the only place that gives off fake sunlight.” I said, getting panicked.

“I have the answer for that. Step aside.” The Doctor instructed and I followed through with the order. I watched as how he rummaged around his inner pocket of his jacket. He removed a long object and showed it to me. “The sonic screwdriver. Opens anything but it does not work on wood.” He pointed the sonic screwdriver at the lock and pressed it. A blue light emanated from the end of the sonic screwdriver and some kind of buzzing sound as well. The red light on the lock switched to green and the door unlocked with a hiss.

“Cool!” I muttered then glanced at interesting man.

“Let’s go?” He asked, smiling.

“Let's go and return her to her mama!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hoped you liked it!