Status: I hope you enjoy!

In the Time of Achilles

Friendship

Chapter two ~ In the time of Achilles
Phthia bay, Greece 1190BC

Nearly a week had passed since the day that Aedia had met Patroclus and Achilles, thankfully she had been fortunate enough not to have laid eyes on the latter since insulting him. She was currently overseeing her father's slave girl, Adonia, who was fishing in the bay of Phthia, while Aedia sat disinterested and looking out to sea.

Aedia's father, Helios had bought Adonia and taken her with him back home four years prior, treating her more as a friend and personal servant than a slave, but the same could not be said for her family or friends who were also sold that day.

As the waves gently moved the rowing boat from side to side, lapping against the stern of the boat, Aedia peered over her shoulder to the busy town behind her. The wind carried the market cries and chatter of the town over to the boat, and Aedia found herself wishing she was there rather than here; spending all of her time in a boat feeling sea sick, as opposed to being back on dry land, able to roam where she pleased.

Once the fish were caught they were to take them into town and sell them, all in the hopes of earning some more money, tiding them over until the harvest was ready. A few moments passed in silence until Adonia pulled in another small net of salmon and trout, squirming in the net unable to get themselves free, mouths opening and closing as they tried desperately to take a breath.

"There aren't that many around here. Do you think we should go further out?" Aedia spoke up finally, as Adonia's dark eyes moved to her momentarily before she placed the fish in a bucket of seawater, which was there to keep them as fresh as possible until they were able to get them to town.

"No. Helios has forbidden us to venture any further than this" Sighing, Aedia started to play with her gown to occupy her mind while Adonia replaced the fishing net back into the water with a slight splash, a determined look in her dark eyes, her black tight curls falling down her back and over her shoulders.

"Do we not have enough for today? This should fetch us enough money until the harvest is ready"

"No" Adonia shook her head firmly, and once again set back to work. A few hours later, and with several buckets full of freshly caught fish to hand, Adonia began to row back to the harbour, a scowl on her tan face that she often seemed to wear.

Then again, she had much to be angry about, not only were a lot of the tasks Aedia's father set her back-breakingly hard but she also often thought about her family and friends; who she seemed certain she would never see again. Aedia walked side by side with Adonia into town, carrying two of the wooden buckets full of fish to lighten the load for Adonia, as sea water splashed over the sides onto her sandaled feet and the dry earth below.

It didn't seem to help that Aedia was having to forcefully push her way through the large crowds gathered in the streets just to get to their market stall, which was where her father, Helios, awaited them, sat in the shade tapping his foot impatiently, safely tucked away from the heat of the late afternoon. Upon their arrival Aedia all but threw the heavy buckets she carried onto the table, sighing with relief at the loss of the weight from her aching muscles. Helios's eyes shot up, as he greeted them not with a smile but a disapproving glare.

"Where have you been?! It passed midday three hours ago, you were supposed to meet me here. Half the customers we could have gathered have now bought fish elsewhere and gone home!"

"There will be others. And besides, they all must have dinner" Aedia protested, while Adonia scuttled away to deal with the fish and place them on the ice, strategically managing to get out of Helios's line of fire. He left in a huff to return home, his arms crossed over his chest and a cold glare on his ageing features.

"I'm sorry, Aedia. I should have listened to you about leaving. Now we won't sell as many fish" From beside her, Adonia began to tear up, furiously trying to wipe them away before anyone saw. Unfortunately for her, a few passers-by began to stare to which Aedia led her away from their sight, guiding her to sit down on a stool, crouching in front of her.

"It's fine, honestly! I am used to my father's ways, there is no need for you to be crying. We will sell the fish, and even if we don't sell quite as many as he hoped then perhaps he can try catching the fish next time" Having earned a watery, grateful smile from Adonia, Aedia positioned herself behind the stall, as Adonia began the announcement of fresh fish.

Having sold a lot of their trout and salmon, Aedia left the stall to wipe her hands down with a damp white cloth. Glancing past the dead fish, and straw roof of the stall to the crowds beyond, each going about their separate activities; a mixture of young and old, all brought together by the market, each with their own story to tell.

Aedia couldn't help but take pity on an elderly man passing by with a large walking stick, struggling through the swarms of people, all making their way to other stalls, some trying to bargain with the sellers for a lower price. It was only then that Aedia noticed the familiar faces of Patroclus and Achilles strolling towards her stall, unaware that she was there, smiling and laughing among themselves, boyish grins on their tanned faces.

It all happened extremely quickly after that, from the moment Patroclus spotted her, to when he and his cousin arrived at her stall, not three feet from her. If she hadn't been looking anywhere but either of them, she would have noticed that since his arrival Patroclus's bright blue eyes had not left her once as she re-took her spot beside Adonia.

"Aedia, isn't it?" Lifting her gaze, she dared to meet his eyes. Smiling softly, she nodded her head yes. There was a brief moment of silence when Adonia was giving Achilles the fish he had bought where the pair simply looked at one another, each unbeknownst to the other taking in their appearances, figuring each other out. They would have been lying if they said that their thoughts had not drifted to each other at least once in the past week.

"You don't talk much do you?" From across the stall and silvery fins of the fish, Patroclus smiled at her as she let out a melodious laugh.

"Oh I talk. Just not to strangers" She smirked challengingly at him as Achilles handed the money to Adonia, his steady gaze flicking from Aedia to his cousin before his muscular arm was wrapped around Patroclus's shoulders protectively as an older brother would do.

"Thank you for the fish, we look forward to having them for dinner. As for us, we need to leave" As though he was coming out of a trance, Patroclus sent a questioning glance at Achilles, a frown appearing on his forehead.

"Already? We only just got here-"

"Patroclus, we are leaving. Now" Achilles stare was commanding, his voice deep and authoritative as he began to leave, only stopping when he realised that Patroclus wasn't following him. Turning his back on his annoyed cousin, Patroclus clenched his jaw, taking a breath in before looking back to Aedia.

"Will I see you again?" Not able to prevent the look of delight that lit up her face, she nodded yes, her cheeks reddening furiously as he grinned, sparing one last gaze to look back at her as he left, her blue eyes followed his departing form as long as she could before he was hidden from view by the bustling crowd.

"He likes you" Adonia teased from beside her, cocking an eyebrow and smirking over at her, lifting her dress slightly off the dusty ground as she brought a new bucket of fish to the wood table of the stall, carefully placing each one on the ice so that they remained fresh and as clean as was possible with so many people nearby.

"If he is anything like his cousin, it will pass" Aedia muttered, speaking to both Adonia and herself at the same time.

"And what if it does not?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you for reading!