Status: Work in progress

The Puppeteer

Chapter 3 : The Unforgiving dark

The trek back was fast and painless.when They reached the foot of the mountain they stopped at the creek to drink, refreshed they continued, along the flat rocky plain, as they walked the sun grew lower in the sky. They reached the cave before nightfall, exhausted they stashed their loads in the cave. All six boys clambered up on top of the cave to watch the sunset. It was even more spectacular than the night before, glittering off the far more impressive waves and dying the puffy clouds all shades of orange. Together the boys ate fruit and roasted the fish over a fire, few words were spoken, all were enjoying the peacefulness and tranquility of the evening. As in the previous night the boys fell asleep one by one.
Jackson opened his eyes to discover that is was still dark he saw a shadow leaving the cave, he looked around and unsurprisingly there were only four buys sleeping in the cave. Derek pushed himself to a crouching position and from there to his feet. He bent under the cave entrance. He saw the figure head towards the boulders, probably going to the fruit grove thought jackson. Jackson followed up onto the first boulder, as he summited the boulder he saw the figure sitting cross legged, handing in his lap.
“Hello” questioned jackson with uncertainty
The figure spun around in surprise and almost fell off the rock.
“Blimey mate, don't sneak up on me like that” It was charles,
“Couldn't sleep then?” asked Jackson as he and Charles sat themselves down.
“ nah mate, I miss my own bed, back in england I had my own room, every convenience, warm food whenever i wanted it, it's just so different here” Charles was clearly cracking, his face was drooping and he was shaking. After a few moments he regained control, and a broad smile appeared across his pale face.
“At Least the weather is better”
Before Jackson could respond, he heard the rustle of leaves somewhere in the dark expansive forest before them. It was a perfectly calm night, the full moon shone brightly in the night sky above them.
“ What was that asked “ Jackson glancing nervously around. He was tensed his knuckles white from gripping the rock so hard.
“Crack” another sound, this time a twig snapping. The two boys shared a fearful glance, they silently rose from their seats on the rock and edged they way forward. The tension in the air was maximal, both boys shaking with fear and anticipation as they crept ever further into the dark. Jackson glanced over at Charles, his face was white, white as a sheet, his hands were shaking and he could almost see his heart pumping in his chest.
“CRASH”
A shadow ripped through the bushes spraying leaves and twigs everywhere and ripping up the undergrowth. It clipped Jackson sending him sprawling to the ground and making him eat dirt. He heard charles scream and tried to push himself up, but he was too late, when he eventually stood up, charles and the figure, where nowhere to be seen.