Never Losing Hope

Seventeen years ago...

"I will never forget this moment." I say looking over at the most important man in my life.

He smirks and replies "I can't help but agree."

As me and him lay beneath the silk sheets, our naked bodies pressed together, I can't help but think of this moment as the last moment until the day he comes home to me. To think two years ago we were nothing more but high school sweethearts and now we are newly weds about to be separated for a few years.

"I am just going to say it over and over again I love you so much my husband. More than you will ever know. I will also miss you more than you will know."

He pulls me closer, kissing my forehead before speaking.

"I love you too my wife. I want you to promise me something. Promise me that no matter how long I will be gone for that you will try and make yourself happy in my absence. Please promise me."

I close my eyes trying not to cry. Trying not to think of losing him in the years to pass. I slowly nod and promise.

Nine months after.........

One minute I can hear my screams the next they are not my own, but are the screams of a baby girl. After the nurse cleaned my newborn child, she was handed to me and instantly the tears started to flow. I couldn't help but think of my husband and how I wished he could have been here to meet his daughter. I looked at the now sleeping child and tell her something similar to what I tell myself everyday.

"Your daddy loves you and will be home soon. You are our little princess."

As the years went by, my daughter grew up being a happy, beautiful girl. I kept my promise to her father that I would keep myself happy. Raising our daughter has kept me happy.

After seventeen years I never lost the hope of my husband coming home. Something in me just kept saying to move forward and never give up. It was my daughter's birthday, people talking among themselves, Kids running around, and presents everywhere.

I couldn't stop thinking about how much time has gone by. My baby girl now a grown woman with a stunning smile on her face everyday.

I was standing by my little girl as the cake was being brought in, and placed in front of her. She turned her head to say thank you to our guest to only sit, stare, and silently cried. I turned my head to see what was wrong only to see her father standing right next to us.