Corruption

Chapter 6

Phil was trying his hardest not to lose his temper with Dan, but it was increasingly difficult when Dan was being so…well, Dan. Phil sighed.

“What’s your problem now, feathers?” Dan grumbled from inside his blanket cocoon.

“I’m bored,” Phil whined.

Dan was tired. He was tired of being disconnected from the world. He was tired of the routine of the hospital, of pretending, of people. He was tired of Phil, of the whining, of the fighting. All Dan wanted was an hour of quiet and sleep. He didn’t think that was too much to ask.

“I know!” Dan growled, barely containing himself. “You’re like a broken fucking record! Could you spend one day not bitching and moaning and just fucking entertain yourself?”

Phil crossed his arms, well aware of how childish he was acting, but not caring enough about Dan’s opinion to do anything about it. “You took away my handball.”

“Hey remember when you disappeared for the day? You should do that again and never come back,” Dan hissed.

“Fuck you!” Phil spat.

“Oh, good one.” Dan rolled his eyes trying to return to his nap.

Phil growled. “You’re not even supposed to be taking naps if we’re going to get out of here! It’ll look like you’re not making progress!”

“Well it’s not like I can even try with you constantly shouting at me!” Dan snarled throwing his blankets to the foot of the bed. “Why are you even here, can’t you just fly off somewhere with those big useless wings of yours?”

Phil’s eye twitched. “Because Eve made me! You think I want to stay here any longer? You think my wings aren’t in excruciating pain from being cramped up in here all the time? You think I want to deal with you for another second of your miserable existence?!”

Phil was tired. He was tired of Dan’s attitude. He was tired of being away from home. He was tired of doing nothing but follow Dan around like some brooding, lost puppy.

The two sat there glaring at each other until Dan finally sighed, ripping the blankets off himself and briskly making his way to the door.

“Where are we going now?” Phil whined. He hauled himself to standing, trudging along behind him.

Dan stayed silent. He walked through the building, throwing polite smiles to security guards he passed along the way. Finally, Dan pushed open the doors to the courtyard. He took a deep breath of fresh air before making his way to an old wooden bench. He was well aware of Phil’s eyes on him curiously as he laid across the bench, sighing happily.

Phil shifted his weight awkwardly, uncertain of Dan’s motives in dragging him across the property just so he could lay back down. He was almost certain the bench Dan had commandeered was not as comfortable as his own bed.

“Well, what are you waiting for, feathers?” Dan peeked over at Phil, still standing a few yards away.

“What do you mean?”

Dan smirked. “You were whining that your wings hurt. Go ahead and use them. I can nap out here; could probably use the vitamin D anyway.”

Phil perked up. Dan move out here so he could fly? Phil couldn’t believe it. That was so…kind; uncharacteristically so for Dan. Excitement beat the surprise out of him quickly, however. Phil made quick work of unfurling his wings, stretching them out letting out a satisfied sigh as a few joints popped. He only allowed a moment to glace around and ensure he had the room to take off before he was in the sky. This was the best he’d felt in weeks.

Dan watched, transfixed by the movement of his glimmering black wings as Phil soared. He shot up into the air and was flying circles around the courtyard. Dan watched as he dipped and spun. Phil zoomed over Dan’s head, and Dan could have sworn he saw him smiling.

Dan grinned, slinging an arm over his eyes as he let exhaustion take over.