Small Town Girl

*Chapter 15*

I walked back inside to see my mom and aunt practically vibrating in their seats as they waited for me to come back. I laughed as they squealed. "Oh! My baby is going on a date! I'm so excited! We are helping you get ready and we're taking tons of pictures. That way you some good memories of us all together." She smiled. "Okay! Let's go! He'll be here at 7." I looked at the clock and saw it was 4:30 now. We went to my room and set to work. Mom and I looked at everything I had in my closet while Aunt Mel took out my make up and hair products, the little bit that I actually had, to see what she had to work with. While they made final decisions, I was temporarily banished from my bedroom. They demanded I go hop through the shower. I did as I was told and walked to the bathroom. While I was in the shower I began to think about how much my life had changed in such a short time frame. A couple months ago I was a girl who was working all the time to take care of her sick mom and only had one amazing friend. Now I'm married to Brent freaking Smith and pregnant with his child and now I'm getting ready for a date with him. I was woken from my thoughts when Mel pounded on the door telling me to hurry up. That's when I realized that the water was growing cold. I quickly did what I needed to and got out.

After I was finished I walked back to my bedroom and was told to sit down on my vanity chair. My mom then began to speak. "Honey, do you know where he's taking you?" "No. He never told me." "Okay so we'll put you in a good pair of jeans and a nice top. Mel, can you do her hair and make up please?" She nodded and got to work. The three of us gossiped like teens and pictures kept being snapped. Mel curled my chocolate brown hair and did my make up. It was more neutral so the green in my eyes would pop. Then I walked over and put on the outfit Mama chose for me.She chose a pair of dark blue jeans, a simple back tank top, and a cute grey cardigan over the top of it. She paired it with some cute grey boots and a black purse. She topped it off with my favorite living locket with fall elements such as leaves and pumpkin inside and a pair of simple diamond studs.

I looked in the mirror and smiled at my appearance. They did a great job. I turned to see Mama tearing up and Mel holding onto her. "Mama, why are you crying?" "I'm okay, Baby. It's just we never got to do this when you were younger. You were so busy with work and taking care of me that you never got the chance to go to prom or on a date. So this moment, us helping you get ready, it's bittersweet since I've only got a little longer to be here. And finding out today that our family will be going on to the next generation here in 8 months is amazing. I can't help but to cry. I love you, Sweetheart. Never, ever forget that." "Mama, you can't say stuff like that. You're gonna make me cry." I said as I hugged her and sniffled. About that time, Mel snapped a picture. We both smiled at her and she snapped a few more. We were talking about what to name the baby while we waited for Brent to arrive. "I liked Jolene Dawn for a girl and Matthew James for a boy." Mel said. "Those are super cute!" Mama said. She then continued on, telling us her name choices. "I like Helena Rose for a girl and Zachary James for a boy." She told us. I loved them all and before I could say anything, we heard the doorbell chime.

Mel ran downstairs to answer the door as Mama was touching up my make up from our little teary moment. Mel called up to us saying it was Brent but we already knew that. "Okay, Baby, are you ready to go get your man?" I nodded. "Mama, I'm nervous. I've never been on a date before." "Baby, he's your husband and the father of my unborn grand baby. Not only that, but he's a good man. You and I have been fans of Shinedown for years. We've seen how they treat their fans so we know how sweet they all are. Brent cares for you. You have nothing to worry about." She said putting her hand on my cheek. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Okay. I'm okay." Mel came back upstairs and helped Mama down. "He looks very handsome." Mel whispered.

Mama and Mel reached the bottom floor before I did. I used that slight time alone to gather my courage. "Well, here we go." I whispered putting my hand on my belly as I came into view of everyone. Once I reached the bottom and caught sight of Brent, my breath caught in my throat. He was wearing dark blue jeans and a black button down shirt. To to pit off he held a single red rose just like he did the morning we woke up in the motel in Vegas. He looked at me and smiled. 'Holy shit, my husband is hot.' I thought to myself. Or so I thought. He chuckled and Mom and Mel laughed out loud. "And my wife is pretty damn gorgeous." He said as he stepped forward and kissed my cheek. My face was burning as he handed me the rose. "Thank you." "You're very welcome. Are you ready?" I smiled and replied with a simple "Mmhmm". I turned and hugged my mom and aunt tightly. "Bye Mama, bye Mel. I'll be back later." Mama looked at me and said, "No you won't. You are going to stay the night with your husband. There are things you need to talk about. Now go out and have fun, you two. Be safe, my babies." She hugged us both and pushed us toward the door. We laughed and waved. Brent put his hand on the small of my back and lead me to his car. As we got closer I realized what kind of car it was. "No. Way." I said as I stood there staring at a beautiful black 1967 Chevy Impala. Brent chuckled and opened the door, helping me inside.

Once he got in we were on our way. To where I wasn't sure. We made small talk as he drove. I began to recognize the surroundings. "Brent?" "Yeah?" "Are we going to the lake?" "Yup." he said simply while smiling. "Why are we going there?" "Now, Elizabeth, if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise now would it?" I giggled softly. "I guess not." We drove for a few more minutes when he pulled up to the parking lot for the docks. Before I could say anything, he was out of the car and making his way to the passenger side. Once there he oped the door and held out his hand for me to take. He then led me to a beautiful boat. "Brent? Where'd you get the boat?" "I rented it for the night. Do you like it?" " I love it. It's beautiful." I smiled at him.

"Elizabeth, do you trust me?" He asked as he walked up to me. I looked deep into his beautiful blue eyes and whispered a yes. He smiled and walked behind me. To say I was nervous is an understatement. He gently placed a blindfold over my eyes and sat me down on seat and put my hand on the railing. "Hold on tight." He told me gently before walking away. I heard him start the boat and felt us begin to move. After what seemed like forever, we came to a stop and he cut the engine off. I heard some rustling before I felt him gently grab my hand and guide me to the other side of the boat. he then removed the blindfold and I gasped at the beautiful sight in front of me. We were stopped in the middle of the lake. Every tiny star was shining brightly and the moon reflected off the surface of the water.

I looked up at him smiling. "This is amazing, Brent." "You haven't seen anything yet." I guess while I was looking at the stars, it had given him enough time to set up dinner. I looked at the table and saw that he had lit candles as well. He led me to the table and pulled out the chair and helped me into the seat. "Thank you." I said quietly. he smiled and nodded. he then sat across from me. "I hope you like spaghetti. I make it myself and it's really the only thing I know how to make." He said shyly. I could have sworn I'd seen a slight blush creep onto his cheeks. I smiled at him. "Spaghetti is honestly my favorite food." His grin went from ear to ear. "Great! Then let's dig in!" I giggled at his excitement. We ate in silence for a little while but it was a comfortable one. I once again caught myself thinking of everything that had happened so rapidly. My hand subconsciously went to my tummy. Brent noticed. "Is everything okay?" I smiled at him and nodded. "Everything is fine. I just can't believe crazy things have been in the last month. First I meet you in the random place and way. Then I wake up next to you and find out we had gotten married. And just when that was beginning to sink in, we find out we're having a baby. Even though there's so much pain in my life with everything happening with Mama.." I paused for a brief moment to take a deep breath so I wouldn't cry. Brent grabbed my hand in a comforting manner and moved his thumb softly over my skin. I looked up at him and he nodded his head in encouragement.

I smiled and nodded. "You and this baby, our baby, have given me the little push I needed to want to live again. I've been wondering since Mama got sick, what would happen when she finally lost her battle? I honestly never thought I'd find anyone in general just because of how inexperienced I am in the whole 'romance' department. But for me to find someone as amazing and caring as you, completely blows my mind. So yes, Brent, for once in my life, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and everything is great." I smile at him through my tears that had formed and began to fall. He then got up and walked over to me and pulled me into his strong embrace. "I've never felt more safe than I do in your arms right now." "I promise you, Elizabeth Jane Smith, you will never, ever have to not fell safe again. No matter what happens and no matter where life takes us, you will always have me" We stood there in silence staring into each other's eyes. Ever so slowly our lips met and a spark went through me. We pulled away and smiled. We stayed out on the boat talking about anything and everything for another 5 hours before we fell asleep comfortably in each other's arms.