Small Town Girl

*Chapter 16*

The next morning I woke up curled into Brent's side while his arms were wrapped protectively around me. Everything seemed so perfect. That is until morning sickness kicked in. I quickly jumped up, which startled my husband awake, and ran to the other side of the boat to empty the contents of my stomach. Brent was quickly on his feet and by my side. He held my hair and gently rubbed my back the whole time. When I was finished, he handed me some water then some sprite. "Well good morning." He lightly chuckled and put a hand on my stomach. "Hi." I said shyly. "Are you okay?" "Yeah, I'm fine. However I think I'd be better if my feet were back on dry land." I said and giggled lightly. "Yeah, that would probably help." He smiled. he drove us back to the dock where we cleaned everything up then left. As we drove back to Mama's, we held hands over the console and talked about everything that came to mind.

"So what do you want?" I asked him. He looked at me confused and asked, "What do you mean?" I chuckled and replied, "What gender would you like to have?" "Oh. It doesn't matter to me. As long as it's happy and healthy. I gotta admit I'd love a little boy first. That way when we have a little girl, she'll always have someone to protect her." I looked at him as he spoke and saw a look of peacefulness resting in his handsome features. I couldn't help but to tear up and smile. "You want more kids with me?" He looked at my shocked expression and chuckled. "Well yeah. I'd love more children with my beautiful wife. Why? Do you not want any more?" "Well I guess I do. I just figured we'd start with the first one and go from there." I laughed. "Well yeah." "So do you have any ideas for names?" I asked him. "I have a couple rolling around in my head. I like for a boy, Aiden James and for a girl Ava Jane." He looked at me with a sweet smile. "You would want to name her after my mama?" I started to tear up again. Damn hormones. "It's clear just how close you and Mama are and I want to and our children to have that close bond. I just hope I'll have it with them as well even though I'm on the road a lot." Brent replied and asked me what names I liked. I was about to answer him when my phone began to play Mel's ringtone.

Something wasn't right. I cautiously answered. "Mel?" It was quiet but I caught the sound of a soft sniffle. Now I knew for sure something was wrong. "Mel, what's wrong?" "Lizzie, how far are you from home?" "We're about 5 minutes out. Why?" "I'd rather wait until you're here to tell you." "No. Tell me now. Please, Mel?" It was silent for a moment and I knew what was coming next. "It's you Mama. She went to sleep last night and didn't wake up this morning. I'm so sorry, Baby, but she's gone." The phone fell from my hand and I couldn't breathe. "Liz? Elizabeth!" Brent's worried voice calling my name was the last thing I heard before everything went dark.