Small Town Girl

*Chapter 17*

I woke up to an annoying beeping sound and in a very bright room. I took a couple moments to take in my surroundings. The first think I noticed was Brent asleep in a chair next to me. His head was laying on the bed and he had my hand in his. The next thing I noticed was, I had more visitors. Barry, Zach, and Jimmy were passed out around the room. About that time a nurse walked in and smiled at the scene before her. She walked over to the other side of the bed to check the monitors and wrote down the information she needed. "Hello, Mrs. Smith. I am Nurse Donna. How are you feeling?" She whispered and handed me some water for my dry throat and mouth. I took a couple sips and handed the cup back to her. "I feel okay but what happened?" I croaked out. She was about to answer when Mel and Eric walked into the room followed by 4 guys I recognized as Jimmy's band. When Mel saw me awake she dropped the coffee cup in her hand and ran over to me. The noise and sudden movements woke Brent and the guys soon followed suit. "Baby Girl, I'm so sorry." Mel cried and hugged me tight to her chest. Brent still held my hand and he looked at me with sympathy in his eyes.

Everyone sat in silence as they watched the interaction between Mel and I. Everything began to slowly come back to me. "When can I leave here? I have things to take care of." I whispered. "Mel? Can you go get things ready at the house for when we can take Elizabeth home please?" Brent asked quietly. "Yes. Of course. He then turned to look at the guys (A7X and SD). Can you guys go with her? Mel was very close to Mama too and should not be driving in her state. Jimmy and I will stay here with Liz and we'll see you guys later." He then turned to Jimmy and I and spoke again. "Elizabeth? I'm going to go talk to the doctor. She needs to know you're awake so we can find out why you passed out. You have been out or a couple days so we need to know that nothing is seriously wrong. Jimmy, you and Liz were closest to Mama because you were her kids. You two need to grieve together. Come get me when you're ready. Okay?" We all nodded and everyone left. Brent kissed my forehead and followed them out. The next few minutes were silent as we took everything in. I began to feel tears gather in my eyes and slowly but surely they began to fall. Jimmy noticed and pulled me into his arms. It didn't take long before he too was crying.

Other than the sound of our sobs and the beeping of the monitors, it was quiet. After a few minutes I turned to Jimmy. "What am I going to do? My mama..she's gone and she's not coming back. I have been by her side since I was 15 years old. Taking care of her is all I've ever known. How am I going to live without her? She's supposed to still be here. Why her, Jimmy? She was a good person with a heart of friggin gold and now she's gone..." I sobbed into my best friend's chest. "What do I do?" I asked him, my broken voice full of desperation. "Shh, shh, Sweetheart. Everything is going to be okay. I know things are bleak right now but you'll get through this. I promise. Wanna know how I know?" He asked me gently and I nodded. "Look out that window." He said pointing to the window by the door. "Tell me what you see." "I see Brent." I sniffled. "Exactly. He is here for you just like me. And just like me, he's not going anywhere. He loves you, Sweetie. And don't forget that by marrying Brent you didn't just get a new husband. You also got a group of new brothers too. We all love you. You are just like Mama. You know that? You are beautiful inside and out. You have a heart of gold and whenever someone is around you, they can't help but smile. Even at the moments when they don't think they can. You make everyone around you happy and feel special. You have a light inside you that you use to help heal people when they need you the most. I know you are hurting right now but you will survive this. I swear." He looks down at me and kisses my forehead as we hear a knock on the door.

Jimmy walked over and answered the door and Brent and the doctor walked in. "Hello, Mrs. Smith, I am Doctor Johnson. Now I have some news for you and after everything is done here you are free to go home." She said with a smile. "Okay." I said with a small smile. Brent and Jimmy came to my sides and each grabbed a hand. "Okay so, Mrs. Smith, are you aware that you are pregnant?" She asked looking at me. I nodded and heard a slight squeak coming from Jimmy. "You're pregnant?!" He asked excitedly. I laughed at his expression. "Yes, Jimbo. You're going to be an uncle. Can we finish listening to what Dr. Johnson has to say? I promise you can lose your mind later." We all laughed and he nodded rapidly. "Okay. Well. If finding out she's pregnant has you this excited, you're going to really freak out when I tell you the next news." She told Jimmy with a smile then turned to me. "Well when they brought you in telling me that you passed out we ran some tests, hence finding out you're pregnant. Then we did an ultrasound and sonogram. Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Smith, you are pregnant with twins." She announced and I thought both Brent and Jimmy's eyes were going to pop out of their heads. We both laughed at them and she excused herself to go get the discharge papers ready.

Jimmy then turned to Brent, "Brent! I'm gonna be an uncle to twins! Holy shit!" Brent smoothly replied, "I know. I was there." He then winked at me and I blushed like crazy. Jimmy went to fill out my discharge papers and Brent helped me change and get ready to go. We walked out the door and Jimmy and Dr. Johnson were standing there with a wheelchair. She then told me I was free to go and wished us luck. Brent wheeled me out to the car and helped me in. As the car started rolling towards my house I began to lose myself in my thoughts. And for the first time in my life, I don't want to go home.