Small Town Girl

*Chapter 2*

I was finishing up my shift when Mel came out to talk to me. "Elizabeth? Sweetie, can I talk to you?" "Um sure." Mel is a sweetheart. She has been my mom's best friend since they were kids. She's in her mid 40's and has bright green eyes and firery red hair. She's basically been my aunt my whole life. She was there for Mom when my grand parents told her to leave and never come back when she told them about me. Til this day, I still don't know them. Mel has helped me so much with Mom. Even to the point where she moved in with us right after we found out Mom was sick. Anyway back to the conversation. "So Jimmy told me you turned down the trip to Vegas. Why?" "Auntie, you know why. I can't afford it for one. And for two, I have to worry about Mom and work. I don't have time to take a random trip to Vegas and blow what little money I do have saved up. I need it for Mom's next appointment. And we both know I probably don't have enough for that either." "Elizabeth Jane Sheppard. Do you really think your mom would want you to give up an opportunity to go do something you've always wanted? If you are that worried about her, talk to her about it. As for work, I'm your boss and I say get your cute little butt home and pack. You have a concert to get to." She smiled at me. I thought about it for a second, smiled back and hugged her before making my way home to talk to Mama.

When I walked in the door Mom was sitting on the couch watching our favorite show, Supernatural and yelling at the TV. "Come on, Crowley! Don't be an ass!" I laughed out loud at that. She looked up at me and smiled. My mama. She is the strongest woman I've ever known. And she is beautiful. I know I said that I look just like her but I have always believed she is 10 x more beautiful than I'll ever be. And she's got the most genuine smile to match. "Hi, Baby! How was work, my love?" I smiled back at her and sat down. "It was good. Same old stuff on a different day. How was your day?" "It was pretty good. Today I felt strong enough to get up and do some dishes. And I know what you're going to say, Lizzie. As soon as I got tired I came and sat down." I just smiled at her and zoned out.

"So are you gonna to tell me about the trip?" "How did you know?" " Mel called me. Honey, why don't you wanna go? It's an Shinedown concert in Vegas! You've always wanted to go. That's why Jimmy, Mel, and I pooled our money together and bought the tickets for you and him to go. You work so hard, Baby. All the time. You have been my rock since I got sick. You never got to be a kid and now you're going to. You and Jimmy are going to go to Vegas and have a wonderful time. We couldn't afford the floor tickets or meet and greets or anything but we got the cheapest one we could." "Mommy, I can't go. Who is gonna look after you? What if something happens while I'm gone?" "Honey, nothing is gonna happen. Besides Mel will be here with me." "The whole time?" "The whole time." I thought about it and decided to go. I smiled and squealed out that I needed to go pack. Just then Jimmy bounded into the room. "Already done, Sugarplum. You ready to go?" "Let me go change and then I'll be ready." I ran to my room and changed quickly to something comfy enough to endure a long plane ride. Bounding down the stairs, I ran to my mom and Mel, hugged them both before running to the car.