Status: Work-In-Progress

Limerence

I Have No Friends

I looked down at the printed schedule in my hands and sighed. This school was huge. How was I ever going to find my way around? I asked my older brother, Christian, to help me around the school, but he practically ditched me as soon as we got here. I sighed and glanced at my schedule once more before shoving it in my pocket and marching into the school, ready to own it. I was a woman on a mission and nothing could get in my way.

That was until I literally ran into a wall of lockers. I quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed; thankfully only one person did, but she didn’t seem to care. I kept my head low for the rest of the day, hoping it wouldn’t be too hard to catch up with the curriculum. This school was incredibly advanced compared to my school back in Tennessee, but I prided myself on being a quick learner.

Boy, did I need a reality check.

Callie: School if awful and I hate it. Save me.

Lea: Sorry, sweetie. No can do. I’m stuck at school, too. You can do this!

I sighed and put my phone in my backpack and waited for the final bell to ring so I could make my pitch to the yearbook committee. And honestly? I was so nervous.

“Why would they want me to join them?” I groaned as I paced back and forth in front of the library doors. “I shouldn’t be so nervous. I’m only asking to join the yearbook committee way late, and as a new student with no friends.” I stopped and fiddled with the camera I had hanging around my neck. “They won’t want me.”

“Just tell them that you won’t take biased pictures of only your friends.” I froze and turned towards the voice.

“How long have you been standing there?”

“Long enough. Look, you have no friends, so you’ll get plenty of pictures of all the students. Lead with that. You should be fine.” I nodded at her advice. “Michelle.”

“Callie.” Michelle smiled and nodded at the direction of the door.

“You can walk in with me so you don’t look like such a loser.”

“Gee, thanks.” She shrugged in a ‘don’t mention it’ fashion and pulled the door open. I followed closely behind before veering right, following the signs to the yearbook committee. I took a deep breath before walking to the group of teenagers sitting around the table. “I have no friends.” They stopped talking and stared at me. I mentally slapped myself. “I mean… I’d like to join the yearbook committee. My name is Callie Collins and I just moved here, so I don’t really know anyone… so I can’t be biased about who or what I take pictures of. I have my own camera, so the school won’t have to spend money on another one, and I’ve won a few local photography contests and really think I’d be a great addition to the committee.” I could feel myself rambling, so I stopped myself.

“Are you willing to travel?” The teacher sitting at the head of the table asked me, leaning forward. “All of the students at the table have been to D.C., so we need someone else to go this year. Would you be willing to go?”

“Absolutely. I’d love the opportunity.”

“And you have everything you need for your camera in case we run out of supplies to provide for you?”

“Yes, ma’am.” I nodded and reached back, prepared to pull out my equipment to show her.

“Perfect. Welcome to the committee. This meeting is almost over, but if you can be back here Wednesday at 3:00, you have a seat with us. We meet Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 3:00. Sharp.”

“I can be here. Definitely.” I smiled and clasped my hands together in front of me. “Thank you.” The teacher nodded at me in approval as I backed away. The students continued to glare at me until I turned my back on them.

I ran down the street after stepping off the Subway and pulled my camera out to start snapping pictures. I rounded the corner to see if my dad was still at the sandwich shop working. When the coast was clear, I moved closer and got a few pictures for my portfolio. It was insane. The entire front of the shop was missing from the fight between that Spider-Man guy and some weirdos wearing masks of the Avengers the night before. I had lined up the perfect shot, two guys from the high school were there, staring at the giant hole in awe. “Callie!” I jumped at the sound of my father’s voice.

“Oh. Hey dad. What’s up?” I hid my camera behind my back and smiled. “How’s work going? Head of the fire department yet?”

“Callie, what did I tell you before you left this morning?” Dad crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at me with a disapproving look on his face.

“That I couldn’t come near the site.” I sighed and slumped my shoulders. “But dad, you don’t understand! This could look amazing on my portfolio!”

“Callie—“

“Please? Just one good picture?” I hung the camera from my neck and brought my hands together. “I’m begging.” He shook his head one last time. “Fine.” I sighed and dropped my hands. “But if I don’t get into a good photography school it’s your fault.”

“Okay, one picture.” My dad cracked a small smile as I jumped up and hugged him.

“Thank you! Thank you!” I ran over to the two guys as they were about to walk away and stopped them. “Okay, weird question, but do you think you could stand here so I can get a picture for my portfolio?” The one on the right raised an eyebrow at me. “I’m not weird.” They kept staring at me. “I’ll give you each five dollars.”

“Done!” They said in unison.

“Thank you so much! Okay, so I need you guys to stand right… here.” I moved them a little over to the left of where they were standing. “And just look at the building.” I stepped behind them and angled my camera to capture their silhouettes in the mix of light and smoke. Click. “Perfect. Thank you so much!” I reached for my wallet and handed them each a five-dollar bill.

“Oh, hey are these your friends?” Dad walked over to me, smiling. “Why… why are they boys?”

“Oh my god, dad stop.” I could feel my cheeks heating up.

“Hi, I’m Callie’s dad.”

“Oh my God. Thank you for the picture, guys. Dad, I’m going home.”

“Why don’t you invite your friends over? Mr. Parker lives across the street from us.” He was determined to embarrass me.

“Oh, I’d… love to Mr. Collins, but I’ve got an internship with Mr. Stark I’m running late for. Ned would be happy to, though.”

“What?” Ned’s head snapped over at Peter.

“Yeah, I’m sure Callie would love to work on the Death Star with you.”

“You know, I have tons of homework to catch up on.” I began to back away as I spoke. “But maybe another time? See you at home, dad!”

“See you at home! So, Peter… how’s your aunt May doing?” My dad’s voice faded as I ran down the street and into the apartment building.