Status: Work-In-Progress

Limerence

Or a Flat Chested Girl

“Okay, but what if Spider-Man is a student at our school?” I asked Michelle as I finished off my third slice of pepperoni pizza. “I mean, he’s only seen after school hours. He’s fit, young, and he stays around Queens.”

“I see your point… but what if he only does that to make people think he’s a high school student? Get people off his back.” Michelle raised an eyebrow quizzingly.

“I see your point, but look at these.” I pulled out my laptop and opened my Spider-Man folder. “He was at Liz’s party.” I pulled up the cropped version of the photo I showed Peter. I didn’t want anyone else to see the t-shirt and backpack and make the connection faster than I would.

“Holy crap. That’s amazing!” She sat up and pulled my laptop to her bed to get a closer look. “Who do you think it is?”

“I don’t know.” I lied. “It’s definitely a guy, so that narrows it down to at least half the student body.” I shrugged.

“Or a flat chested girl.” We both laughed and Michelle handed my laptop back over. “Probably best to leave it alone, though. I mean, there’s a reason for the mask, right?”

“I suppose…” I sighed. “But-“ I was interrupted by a knock on the hotel room door.

“Callie, Michelle, come on. We’re sneaking into the hotel pool.” Liz’s voice said through the door. “We raided the candy bar, too. Get your suits on and meet us down there.” Her voice trailed off as we heard other giggling students run past.

“Might as well.” I smiled and grabbed my swimsuit from my suitcase. “Might as well, right?”

“You know what? You have fun. I’ll join later.” Michelle nodded and kept looking through my pictures. I was glad I had some of my pictures password protected. I didn’t want her as close to finding out the truth of Spider-Man as I was.

“Are you sure?” I took my suit to the bathroom as I asked.

“Yeah,” She shrugged and blindly reached for the T.V. remote. “There’s a thrilling episode of… House Hunters on.” I laughed and quickly changed into my bathing suit.

“See ya later.” I said as I grabbed my camera and left the room, catching up to the rest of the group.

“Hey, Callie!” Liz smiled and waved me over. “Oh… you didn’t have to bring your camera.”

“I know, but I like to get candid pictures… and this is a good opportunity.” Liz nodded and I suddenly felt like a creep because of my wording.

“Sounds… cool.”

“Yeah, it is.” Michelle put her arm around my shoulder, coming up out of nowhere. Again. “You should see some of her stuff. It’s really good.”

“Thanks, M.J.”

“No problem, C.C.”

“But why—“

“I’m working on my portfolio for college.” I answered Liz’s question before she could finish.

“You’re only a sophomore, though.” A girl named Emily threw in.

“You can never start too early.” I shrugged, trying to rid the self-conscience feeling. People back home even questioned me… some thought I was a freaky stalker, and made sure I knew how they felt. High school is rough, but I learned to ignore the bullies. I just… loved photography. I guess I could see why some people found it… odd, but to me, it was something I was incredibly passionate about.

“Hey, if she enjoys it, I don’t see why she can’t do it.” Liz jumped to my defense. I could see why Peter liked her. She was really nice.

“How about… if you don’t want your picture taken, all you have to do is ask and I won’t take your picture.” I promised as a few students nodded.

“Sounds fair enough, right?” Michelle nodded. “Now come on, let’s swim.” Everyone agreed in unison and started down the hallway.

“Oh, hey Peter.” Liz stopped, falling behind as Peter came out of his room wearing a hoodie. What was he doing?

“Come on, C.C. The pool’s waiting.”

“Coming…” I backed away and caught up with the rest of the group as they laughed on the way down to the pool. I couldn’t help but think about Peter. What was he doing? Where was he going that he needed to be dressed like that? Was he coming swimming? Did Liz like him? …Did I like him?

Liz caught up with everyone quickly and had a slight blush covering her cheek. “Peter might be coming later.” Oh. She did.

Oh. So did I.

~*~

The next morning Michelle and I were rushing to get everything together. “Don’t forget your camera!” She yelled as she ran out of the room. I leaned across my bed, grabbed my camera, and followed her out of the room. I knocked on Peter and Ned’s door as we passed it.

“Come on, we’re gonna be late!”

“We’re coming!” Ned called out. I rolled my eyes and kept running down the halls of the hotel, following the line of students to the decathlon.

“Where’s Peter?” Liz and I asked in unison when Ned caught up with us at the security table.

“He’ll… be here.” He looked around nervously as he handed his phone in. “He’ll be here.” Ned sounded like he was trying to convince himself rather than me. Liz scoffed and walked into the auditorium.

“Come on, you gotta get up on that stage.” I hooked my arm through his and led him inside, hoping Peter would show up soon.