Horses

The Piebald

Jess rubbed the piebalds sides affectionately, accustoming the animal to her touch. She leaned on her, putting weight on her back, and circled her arms around her belly, testing the horse’s tolerance. When the horse stood patiently through the exercise, Jess carefully placed a saddle across the horses back, watching for a reaction. The horse twitched her ears back and stamped a foot, but didn’t shrug the leather device off, so Jess buckled the saddle around her belly, tightening the straps until it was secure. The bridle already in place, she led the horse from the stable to the yard.

“Today the day?” Brandon asked as she passed him shoveling manure near the door. Jess stopped and patted the horses side affectionately.

“I think so… she seems calm, and barely flinched when I put the saddle on. I’m willing to try at least.” Brandon put down his shovel and followed her outside. The yard was practically empty, only a couple soldiers and a few other people loitering around the perimeter. Jess spent some time rubbing the horses face, talking softly to her.

“Alright girl… I’m going to try and ride you. You may not like it, but I promise you won’t get hurt." With a couple of final pats and a smile flashed toward Brandon. Jess positioned herself next to the horse’s side.

"Wish me luck." She said as she adjusted the reins, took a deep breath, then quickly placed a foot in the stirrup and hauled herself onto the horses back.

She barely had enough time to place her other foot in the stirrup before the horse had laid her ears back flat and was standing on her hind legs with a panicked neigh. Jess clamped her thighs together and leaned forward, grabbing at the reins to keep her balanced. She thought for a moment the horse would continue moving backward until she fell over, but just when she felt herself slipping, the horse dropped back down to all fours.

Then she began to run and as the horse continued a mad dash around the courtyard. Jess could do little but try to steer the horse around the people who scattered before her. Despite the curses shouted behind her indicating there were numerous close calls, Jess couldn't help smiling as the wind whipped through her long auburn hair.

It wasn't too long before she sensed a change in her gait and the horse slowed. Jess took over then, testing her control with the reins, pleased when the horse responded. She steered her back towards the stables.

“Come on girl,” she said, “you can stop now… That’s it…” The piebald slowed to a stop, rising up slightly on her hind legs again, but quickly dropped back down. Jess bent down and rubbed a hand along the horse’s neck. “There you go… that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

"You actually enjoyed that didn't you?" Brandon grinned as he shook his head at her.

"It was kinda fun." Jess's grin matched Brandon's as she swung down from the saddle.