My Kingdom

Chapter One

The end of my world didn’t come with screaming or crying. Rather, it came with my calm voice defying my father’s dreams for me to be happy. He didn’t want me to leave. He didn’t want me to go through with it. Looking back, I should have trusted him.
“Father, I am going. I’ve made my decision. You can try and stop me, but even you know this is our only choice.” My voice came out as calm, collected, and confident. Of course, I felt each and every one of those emotions. This is one time I didn’t have to faint an expression.
My father’s retort came quickly. “Angeline, I strictly forbid it. You are not going to give away your life to save this place. I won’t allow it. You can’t go on with this without my blessing and I refuse.” He folded his hands across his chest as if the argument was over. I stared at him through my mirror, regarding his frame. Shoulders squared, jaw set, temper fuming. Any subject of his would cower at this stance from their King. I, however, knew better. I looked past the façade and into my father’s eyes. They spoke the truth. He knew this was our only option.
I sighed, slouching in the chair at my vanity. I watched my father’s reflection in my mirror again, calculating how to proceed. “Father, I love my home. I love our people. And, I love you.” I paused, twisting in my chair to finally meet his eyes. “I know you want for me what you and mother had, but we both know that is not what is in store. This,” I gestured to the letter sitting atop my desk, “is what I was made for. This is what I want.” And, it was true. My father and I both knew that I was never going to be the type of girl to fawn over and marry her one true love. My heart was far too practical for that. The king knew this, but still couldn’t understand.
The letter we both stared at was not a simple one. The calligraphy wound intricately with each paragraph and line, making the words practically dance off the page. Of course, the writing wasn’t needed to make the message of the letter stand out. The contents did that all by themselves. I stared at my hands as they traced the proposition from our neighboring kingdom. It was a miracle, really, receiving this letter when we did. One more month and our beloved kingdom wouldn’t have survived.
My father sighed, still staring at the letter. “You are certain this is what you want? I don’t want you to be unhappy, my darling.” I smiled to myself, admiring his unconditional love. “Yes,” I breathed softly. “This is what I want. This is what is best.” And for a moment, I even believed myself.
A knock came at my open door, breaking apart our conversation. One of the houses maids bowed her head at the door, her hands folded lightly in front of her. Once my father acknowledged her, she spoke reverently. “Your highness, King de Braose’s messenger requires your answer.” My father paused at the maid’s statement. His body froze and he looked slowly back to me. I didn’t wait for him to respond, but instead interjected my answer. “You may tell the man that I will be returning with him to meet Prince Rowan.” I held my head higher, standing up from my chair. “Please inform Ms. Sibyll to pack my things. I expect the messenger will want to leave by the morning.” The young maid glanced a look at the King before curtsying and leaving my doorframe. Once she had disappeared, I walked to my father who was now holding back tears.
“This is a good thing for us, but more importantly for our people.” I smiled at him, linking my hand with his. He sighed, bringing my fingers up for a kiss and mumbling between them. “I only wish I could accompany you on your journey. Perhaps I could-” I interrupted him quickly. “Our people need you here, now. They are going to need a strong King who will lead them through these hard battles. We both know King Rowan will not stop the fighting until I am wed.” Father frowned and dropped my hand. He didn’t speak, but his eyes screamed. I knew what he was thinking. He didn’t want to be alone-not again.
All traces of his jubilant voice gone, he spoke quietly. “We will feast tonight. I will not let you depart until we celebrate this...” He paused, searching for the correct word. “significant occasion.” He knew I would refuse, what with the kingdom so sparse, so he turned his back before I could speak. I sent my rejections after him anyway, as he stalked through my bedroom door. Sighing, I turned back towards my vanity and the letter that set atop the desk. I slowly made my way back to my chair, picking up the letter that was now sitting on the seat. I hardly had to read the thing now. It was engrained in my mind. Though I had received it an hour prior, its words wouldn’t leave my mind.

A letter to his royal majesty, King Edmund Henry Thomas Maynet the Second, of the country of Domin.
It has come to my attention that her highness, Angeline Mari Maynet, is passing her age of marriage. I wish for her to travel to Samavia to meet our son, Prince Rowan Frederick de Braose. If Prince Rowan is pleased with her highness, we would propose marriage. Our kingdoms would therefore be united and all warring would cease. If this merger is desired, we would invite Princess Angeline to accompany our messenger to Samavia.
His royal highness, King Merek de Braose

My thoughts echoed across my room, ricocheting off the wooden walls. The letter had been so straightforward. No pleasantries, no introductions, just a desire from a power-hungry king. We had been at war with the land of Samavia for countless years now, and our small kingdom was beginning to run dry. Our allying countries long abandoned us when they saw King Merek’s desire for our land. He had ruthlessly sent in knights, horses, and countless men to block off our resources. All for the rich land of our country, rolling with acres and hills of much needed crop and material. My father had tried all he could to withstand their attacks, but they were quickly devouring us battle by battle. We feared that soon our entire kingdom would be gone, only the tradable material left intact for the greedy hands of King de Braose. This is why it was my desire to return to Samavia. Despite my hatred for the creator of our misery. Despite my love for my father and our people. Despite the hope that one day I would rule Domin. Our kingdom was down on their knees, all but ready to forfeit their lives to keep them.
A quiet knock sounded at my door, ripping me out of my thoughts. I turned to see a tall frame just before it crashed into mine, engulfing me in its embrace. I hugged back, knowing that hold anywhere. As quickly as the hug came, it left. Instead my hand was brought forward and smacked lightly.
“What do you think you’re doing?” Sibyll’s thick accent rang in my ears. “If you leave then we are never going to see you here again.” Panic laced her words and her eyes darted between my own.
I regarded her tall frame, towering over me by inches. Her curly yellow hair sat in ringlets around her wrinkles. I laughed lightly and tried to take a step back, but Sibyll held me tight.
“You’re not going to convince me otherwise. I made my decision and I’m going. You might as well help me pack what I will need.” My voice was prompt and formal, but it didn’t fool her.
“Princess, you cannot go. I won’t allow it. Do you not know what life awaits you there?” I tried again to turn away from her, but she wouldn’t let me. I knew I couldn’t look at her again, so I dropped my gaze. Sibyll knew better than anyone about the life I was headed for. She came to us from Samavia when I was just a child. Beaten, broken, and half dead.
I sighed heavily. “I know, Sibyll. I know. But, I don’t have a choice. We don’t have a choice.” She retorted but I quickly cut her off. “No. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”
Sibyll dropped my hand and stepped back, folding her own hands in front of her. “Of course, your highness. Forgive me.” Her accent rang thick with sadness.
I turned back and took her large hands in my quaint ones. I held them tightly. They were always comforting. Large, engulfing, I felt like I could never be taken away from safety. Sibyll had been by my side for as long as I could remember. Though technically she was my maid, I treated her like my mother. And she treated me like her daughter. She first came to us when I was just an infant, after my real mother had passed. Since then she had raised me, comforted me when father was away, and helped me stay out of trouble. She meant more to me than anything, and I knew the feeling was mutual.
“Sibyll, I don’t want to leave.” I spoke carefully as tears threatened to emerge. “But I am going to. Now, could you please help me prepare for the journey?” My voice trailed off as I finally met her eyes. I willed myself not to cry as I knew it would only upset her.
Sibyll smiled sadly before turning away from me. She walked to my dresser and began taking out various items of clothing and placing them atop my bed. I watched her for a moment before joining her and following suit.
We removed and folded clothes quietly for a while, both of us lost in our own minds. I remembered what father had told me about Sibyll’s past. She didn’t talk about it, and no one asked. Father told me that when she first arrived she had to stay bedridden for a month. When she could finally get out of bed, she wouldn’t speak to anyone, but floated about the castle as a ghost. Though father had bought her as a servant, he was kind and patient with her healing. Eventually she was entrusted with raising me while father was away. After that, it seemed her past was forgotten.
“I came from there, you know.” Sibyll half whispered. I glanced up and saw something painful in her eyes.
“I know.” I responded simply. I wanted her to tell me more, but knew not to push.
She of course knew what I was thinking. “I don’t know much about Prince Rowan. He was only a young boy when I was there. I do remember him crying beyond compare, though.” We both laughed lightly. Sibyll had always taken care of the royal children. That was normally a job that kept you in the castle for your lifetime. “However, I do remember King Merek.” She continued. “The only thing I can tell you is to be careful. Be respectful. Remember what I taught you.” Sibyll paused and smiled at this point. “As long as you remember that, they can’t help but fall in love with you just like everyone else.”

^-^-^-^-^-^-^

I held my breath at the large oak doors in front of me. Any moment now, they would open, and I would be expected to glide down the grand hall to meet the King and Queen of Samavia. I laced my hands together tightly, making sure I didn’t fidget with my gown. I had dressed in my own kingdoms colors for the occasion, blue and silver. The silk fabric fell behind me as I paced back and forth, turning each time I met the end of the door. I felt uncomfortable in such garish attire, but I knew it was what the King would like. They royal blue fabric brought out the blue in my eyes, and my blonde waves were pulled to the side to show off the detail of my collarbone. White jewels and sequins danced along my hips and arms, tracing where each joint met. My sleeves were larger than my trail, but when I walked it looked like I was flying. There was no doubt I looked beautiful, at least that’s what all the servants of their castle told me.
I heard footsteps other than mine coming up behind me. I stopped pacing and watched as the chamberlain walked quickly towards me. He was old and sported a mustache that matched the color of his hat. When he arrived in front of me he bowed slightly and spoke in a nasally voice.
“Are you ready, your highness?”
I looked again towards the doors in front of me, drawing in a deep breath. I nodded to the man, who then signaled to the guards beside each door. They held themselves at attention as the chamberlain placed himself in front of me, preparing to introduce me to his King. As my breath escaped my lips the two guards pushed open the doors and the quaint man began to walk. I did as I was told and waited for his voice to announce me.
“Your royal highnesses. May I introduce, Angeline Mari Maynet, Princess of Domin.”
As his echoing voice stopped I felt my feet moving themselves forwards onto the red runner before me. I held my head high and my eyes open wide as I trained my view onto a spot just beyond the King and Queen. I didn’t move my gaze as I traveled, but I saw the grand room out of the corner of my eyes. Everything was adorned in red and gold colors. Draperies hung off large windows which lined the stone walls. Beneath the carpet under my feet was a wood that matched perfectly the stone upon the walls. The King and Queen sat on large, ornate, golden chairs which were placed upon a platform a little above the ground. The couple sat on their thrones, evaluating the woman who was making her way toward them.
Once I reached a few feet in front of where they sat, I slowly and deliberately curtsied low, showing my respect. I closed my eyes for a moment, feeling my heart racing beneath my chest. I tried to calm it as I waited for the signal to arise.
“Princess Angeline, what a pleasure to finally meet you.” A booming man’s voice filled the hall. “Please, arise.”
I did as I was told and rose from my curtsy. My gaze traveled up to meet the man who spoke. I wasn’t surprised when I saw a frame that matched the voice I heard just a moment ago. The King seemed to tower over everything around him, his broad shoulders bulging underneath his ceremonial clothing. Ashy blonde hair curled just above his shoulders, and a beard to match lined his facial features. He was the typical vision of a leader. The Queen sat beside her husband, hands folded in front of her. She wore a red dress that accented her dark brown hair as it cascaded down her back. Her expression seemed much tighter than the kings, as her lips set in a permanent purse under her long nose.
“The pleasure is entirely my own. I am grateful for the opportunity to be in your presence.” I bowed my head again slightly. My voice didn’t come out nearly as strong as the kings, but it came feminine and quaint. Just enough to establish my presence, but not take away from theirs.
Silence stretched before us as I awaited another cue to speak. I knew they were critiquing the much too old princess before them, measuring if I was worth their son’s time. As the time passed, I noticed for the first time another man sitting beside the king and queen. He was slightly beneath them, with a less gaudy chair, but it seemed he too belonged to this kingdom. Although he didn’t impose his presence like the king and queen, he dominated his small area next to them. He had short blonde hair and striking blue eyes that I could see from where I stood. Though his jaw was not a wide as the kings, it was strong set.
“I’m sure you are aware, but I will introduce my family anyway.” He gestured to the two people that sat beside him. “This is my beloved wife, Queen Susannah de Braose.” The queen sat unmoving as King Merek introduced her. “And next to her is our other son, Prince Alexander.” My eyes met with the man I had been wondering about just a moment earlier. He flashed a smile as he stood up after a nod from his father. He made his way down the stairs that led to their thrones and walked purposefully towards me. I was slightly intimidated by his tall frame, but I held my ground as he came to stand directly in front of me. I curtsied again but almost jumped out of my skin as my hand was pulled from my dress.
“It is wonderful to meet you, Princess.” Prince Alexanders voice was smooth and calculating, practically the opposite of his fathers. As he spoke he brought my stolen hand in one of his and brought it to his lips. He placed a small kiss on my fingers before dropping my hand and turning away from me. I tried not to watch as he walked behind me and disappeared through the doorway. King Merek must have noticed the shock on my face, for he laughed loudly and spoke again.
“You are surprised and my son’s introduction. It is the way we greet each other here in Samavia.”
I smiled and met his gaze. “I apologize, your majesty. You are right, this is a new custom for me.”
“No need to apologize!” He replied. “I’m sure this is all new for you. Now, Alexander has gone to fetch Rowan and they should be here momentarily.”
I paused as this statement sunk into my brain. They were going to find Prince Rowan. I had passed the first test. Apparently, the king and queen found me worthy to be in their son’s presence. My thoughts raced as confusion clouded my mind. Could this truly be the same king that Sibyll told me about? The same one who was ruthlessly invading my kingdom? It couldn’t. The man before me was causal and friendly with no hint of aggression in his tone. “Thank you, your highness. I am eager to meet him.” I flashed a smile that could have fooled my own father as I tried to quiet my thoughts.
“Well, you don’t have to wait longer.” A voice that sounded much like the king’s met my ears. I jumped involuntarily as yet another hand grabbed my own. This grasp was rougher than before. My gaze turned to my right to meet the culprit. “I apologize for startling you, Princess. However, you will soon grow accustomed to our ways.”
“Please, meet our other son, Prince Rowan Frederick de Braose.” As the king spoke, Prince Rowan brought my hand to his lips just as Alexander had. He kissed my hand lightly, letting his lips linger as his eyes met my own.
Prince Rowan resembled his father, but donned his mother’s dark hair. A scruffy beard traced his jaw and mouth, reaching up to his sideburns. His stare captured my thoughts as his icy blue eyes bore into me. As our gaze held I felt as if I was suddenly ten years old again, admiring the various knights that marched our castle walls.
Though my heart was racing faster than ever, my voice came out calm and collected. “It is wonderful to meet you, Prince Rowan.” I willingly broke his eye contact to bow my head out of respect. As I did this, he let go of my hand and I felt it fall limply back into my other.
“Rowan,” A new woman’s voice fell into my ears. “why don’t you take Princess Angeline into the garden. The evening meal is not for a while longer.” I looked at the queen as she spoke. She met my gaze, but quickly looked back to King Merek.
“A wonderful idea, my darling.” The king spoke. “Donald, find someone to accompany them.” Someone behind me nodded and scurried away, eager to fulfill the king’s request.
“Come, Princess. We shall follow.” Prince Rowan started walking beside me, and I found my feet again following where they should go. Though my heart was still at the bottom of my chest, and my lungs racing for air, I followed with grace and dignity the man who could be the answer to my kingdoms prayers.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a novel I've barely started. I would really love some feedback on it! Thanks so much for reading!