Evangeline

Chapter 3

Alec flexed his shoulders gingerly, his muscles protesting at the tough workout they'd been put through that day. Flipping the switch on the kettle, he leaned back against the counter and waited for it to boil. His lodgings, a studio above one of the stables, came with the job. The low ceilings meant he had to stoop at certain points to avoid hitting his head and the decor and furniture had seen better days, but overall the place was comfortable and suited him well enough.

Clasping the steaming mug of tea, he made his way over to the sofa and sunk down into its well worn cushions with a sigh. He was starting to regret agreeing to babysit the boss's daughter. He wasn't even sure the extra cash he'd been given to sweeten the deal made it worth while. She was a brat. Spoiled and entitled. He'd worked for several wealthy families and had come across more than his share of Evangelines. He thought back to his previous job as groundsman for an extremely rich elderly man and his trophy wife, some forty years his junior. Bored by the slow pace of her home life and looking to spice things up a bit, she'd made her interest in Alec obvious almost as soon as he arrived. She was an attractive woman, ten or so years older than Alec. For a mooment he'd been tempted to do something about it, but he desperately needed cash and couldn't afford to lose his job. Besides which, his employer was a good man, and Alec didn't want to repay his kindness by sleeping with his wife.

It had been a particularly strenuous morning, he recalled, digging beds in the vast walled garden. He'd dozed off in the shade of an old apple tree only to be awoken by his employer's amorous wife planting a firm kiss on his lips. Startled by the unexpected intrusion, he'd shrugged her off and, without thinking, wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. Obviously unused to rejection and furious at Alec's less than enthusiastic response to her attentions, she'd raked her perfectly manicured nails across his neck hard enough to draw blood, before getting angrily to her feet and marching away across the newly dug vegetable beds without a backward glance.

That same evening, the old man had called Alec into his study. Alec knew immediately from his expression that nothing good was going to come of the meeting. When they were both seated, the old man began to speak. “Earlier today, my wife came to say you'd been giving her some unwanted attention”- Alec opened his mouth to object, but the old man raised a halting hand before going quickly on. “I know what you're going to say” he continued. “I also know my wife, believe it or not. You aren't the first, and you probably won't be the last. I imagine you think me an old fool, and you may well be right. Truth is, I love my wife and I'm willing to turn a blind eye to the odd indiscretion.” He gave a wry chuckle. “it probably would have been better for you if you'd gone along with her games. As it is, she now feels she's been humiliated and I'm afraid that means you've got to go. I'll happily pay you up to the end of the month for the inconvenience.” Alec cut in at that point. “Thank you, sir, but no thanks. I don't take payment for work I've not done. If that's all?” The old man gazed sympathetically at Alec through rheumy eyes, before giving the smallest of nods. Alec got to his feet and left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

He gathered together his few belongings and was out of his lodgings by dusk. Throwing his bag into the backseat of the car, he turned to look at the old man who had come out onto the porch to see him off. His wife stood at her husband's side, arm hooked dutifully through his and a a barely disguised look of triumph on her face. The old man raised an arm to wave a shaky farewell, “goodbye, young man, and good luck.” he called, his voice reedy with age. Alec gave a grim smile in return, got into his car, started the engine and drove off into the night.

And so he found himself driving through the dark country lanes with no idea where he was going or what to do next. He stopped at the first village he'd come across in serious need of a drink. The Red Lion looked warm and inviting and he had just enough money for a couple of pints. The barmaid sensed his glum mood and attempted to draw him into conversation, quickly giving up when she realised she was fighting a losing battle.

Not long after he arrived, two men came in and sat down at the table next to Alec's. One of them, dressed in grubby overalls, was in a state of agitation and from the way he slurred his words, it was apparent he'd already had more than enough to drink. Whether Alec had been interested in their conversation or not, the man's lack of volume control meant that he had no choice but to hear it. The gist of it was that he'd lost his job that day. According to him, through no fault of his own, but judging by the belligerent tone of his voice, Alec had a feeling he could quite easily rub people up the wrong way. As the conversation progressed, it transpired he'd been employed as grounds keeper at a local house but a 'difference of opinion' meant he'd been let go that day. Alec couldn't believe his luck, things like this just didn't happen in real life.

Eventually the man's companion managed to convince him he'd had enough to drink and it would be for the best if he took himself off to bed. Hauling the inebriated man to his feet, he patiently guided him through the maze of chairs and tables and out through the door of the pub. He was still complaining loudly about his unfair treatment as his voice faded away into the night.

Alec went to the bar to pay and was greeted with a broad smile and a wink from the barmaid as well as an offer to give him the drink on the house. Alec returned the smile and thanked her, but insisted on paying for the drink as he was also after some information. The barmaid was more than willing to oblige and when Alec asked her about the man who'd just left and where he'd been employed, she was a fount of knowledge. It turned out he was well known in the village for being a difficult man, never keeping hold of a job for more than a few months. People tended to avoid him, especially when he was drunk. It seemed he was the type to blame others for his misfortune, never willing to consider that he might be the problem. His most recent job was for the Harcourt family at Nightingale Hall, just outside the village, but it seemed he'd fared no better there than in his previous jobs. The barmaid finished her story and looked inquiringly at Alec. Ignoring the look, Alec thanked the barmaid and left. That night he slept in his car and the following day after driving around for half an hour or so, he found the entrance to Nightingale Hall. He missed it at first as the cast iron name plate was half covered with ivy, but the faded grandeur of the gateway hinted at the type of residence that must lie at the top of the drive.

And so he found himself here on this faded sofa, clasping his chipped mug of tea and wondering how much longer he'd be able to put up with his boss's brat of a daughter. He took a sip of the drink. It was tepid. “I need a proper drink” he muttered to himself. He poured the cold tea down the sink, grabbed his jacket and began the short walk to the Red Lion.