Status: Work in Progress

Anonymous

Morrissey 'Mor' Smith had always led an interesting life, like most of the population that actually was raised in Nashville TN she had music in her veins, pumping in her ears at every moment, and lyrics stuck in her head at every turn. But, she also couldn't carry a tune in a bucket or play an instrument to save her life; so at the age of 13, after reading Harriett the Spy one too many times, she chose a different instrument to change the world with, a pen and paper. Now at 20 years old she's pursuing a Journalism major with a minor in music appreciation.
“Mor! Did you forget my coffee again?” But so far at her internship she was an unpaid coffee fetcher.
“I got it Julia,” The short brunette couldn't help but roll her eyes in the glass desk that was her work station. Julia Harper made the old bitch from the Devil Wears Prada look like a saint, somehow she had fallen into one of the top positions at Billboard Magazine, thanks to Daddy who owned half of Nashville or the knotty knees that always hung out from under her pencil skirt.
“Took you long enough Morrissey,” she always used Mor's full name like it was an insult, the first time she had read her application she had laughed right in Mor's face apparently she had never heard of Morrissey and she felt it wasn't a name that should be given to a daughter.
“Yeah, Sorry,” Mor pushed back her dark rimmed glasses after setting the steaming cup of coffee down on the desk and watched her boss take a sip before she began inspecting the girl in front of her.
“Really Mor, that is what you wear to class? To work?” They went thought this everyday, Mor looked down at her work jeans and Pantera shirts not seeing the problem, she did after all work in a music magazine; she chose not to reward the woman with a response and stared her down instead, not even blinking. “Joe loved the article you helped with,”
“Help?” The word slipped out of the young girls mouth before she could take them back. The only thing Julia had helped with was putting her own name at the top.
“Yes helped,” she had no look or feeling of guilt for stealing the girl's words, “I'll make sure he knows you had a piece in it,” the woman's face shifted as an evil smirk spread across it and Mor stood there gasping for either breath to cuss her out or swallow the words down so they would forever burn in her gut. “You can go now,” she used her hand to motion towards the door turning back to the computer in front of her, keeping her shit eating grin across her Botox face.
“She did it again didn't see?” Jessica, the only manager in the office that Mor could stand was sitting at her desk, dirty converses crossed over the glass beside Mor's computer.
“Yeah,” she sighed looking over the city of Nashville out the floor to ceiling windows.
“Joe has got to know that JULIA didn't write an amazing paper like that, her damn favorite band is the Jonas Brothers,” I wished she was joking.
“Joe doesn't know shit,” Joe ran the whole office, assigned the articles, he could make the career of a music journalist in a ten second span and so far all he knew about Mor was that she knew how to make a cup of coffee with soy.
“Well, I'll make sure he does,” Jess stood up, crossing her arms.
“Nah, it's fine,” at least she had a foot in the door, that was what her Father had told her, he was like many of the men in Nashville worked in the music industry and was rarely seen without a guitar or outside of his music studio that always seemed to be booked up with bands. “I should of expected it,”
“You're an amazing writer Mor, don't doubt that, you are just stuck under the wings of that bitch,” Jessica had been in my same place 6 years ago, now she had her own office and was writing and assigning articles to people left and right. “Maybe even better than me,” she smirked but it didn't hold malice like Julia's had.
“I've got tons of homework,” I tried to change the subject.
“Ignore me if you will Morrissey Smith, but you are going places,” she tapped her shoulder before heading back towards her office.
“Yeah, the homeless shelter on Broad Street,” the girl muttered after she was out of ear shot. If this career path didn't work out for her she had nothing, no back up plan and she refused to work for her Dad her whole life riding on his small coat tails until she got where she wanted to be.
Mor did have one thing going right for her though,her personal life,she had great friends and family as well as him. A smile spread across her face as the iphone on her desk lit up and she read the words on the screen. Last year, her first year of college she had been surfing music appreciation chat rooms trying to find help on her research paper and somehow either it was a strike of luck or fate she came across Brian. They started talking about music at first and before you knew it they were having two to three hour long conversations on the phone most night. There were only two things wrong with this particular situation. Number one, he lived in California and being the busy college student she was she never would get a plane ticket to visit, and number two she had never seen a picture of him, never video chatted, none of it. At first it had really bothered her, especially after she sent him a picture of herself expecting to get one back and hadn't received anything. Now it was just a weird part of their friendship.
  1. 01