I've Heard She Could Play

I've Heard She Could Play

A music room filled with several instruments and a beautiful silence is where they sat. The tall one sat firmly on a wooden stool, while the shorter one sat behind the ivory keys of a dark black piano. The short one skimmed the keys, silently appreciating the beautiful sounds. The grace brought about by each finger seemed unique in it's presence, singing out as the white haired boy would allow.

"So this is what you do all the time...?"

His arms were crossed with forced indifference, though, his ears betrayed this tactic of his. The white haired male found his red eyes quietly moving toward the tall male, who found his pupils dilating slightly with his widened eyes at the head of white as he smiled.

"What? is it not pleasing...does it not charm your ears James?"

The smile the male gave off suggested that he knew better. It was easy to read through a person like James after all. He released a breath of air, the sound like a sigh.

"Alright...name an instrument to fit your tastes...perhaps it would be more to your liking."

The male turned himself, moving himself over to face the direction of the other, who will now be called James. The white haired male held an abundance of elegance with every action, so much so that even his casual wear of a black button down, dark jeans, black slip on shoes, and a red tie screamed of his precise and sophisticated nature. The white hair that fell from his head and swooped from his eyes to the side of his head almost betrayed such a look. Lightly, he raised his leg, placing it to sit quietly on his knee as he planted his other foot firmly on the cold ground below. James, who seemed less than pleased with this idea, gave a half shrug. This male, seated at a regular stool, was the opposite of elegance. Though his style was more relaxed, it also seemed a bit brutish. Ears filled with three different piercings, lip pierced on it's left side, baggy blue jeans, a pure white tank top that surrounded his body and hugged on to a developing muscular stature, a pair of worn sandals, and shaggy blonde hair that fell toward his blue eyes in the front yet had been completely shaved on the sides and back.

"Name one...simply one."

He sat quietly at the piano, awaiting an answer with a somewhat faked but endearing smile.

"Uh...I don't know....violin."

James raised his hand up in a way that suggested his want to end this.

"Any particular reason?"

"No. None."

James snapped back quickly, only to feel apologetic at his tone.

"I've heard that my mom played a lot...and that she was really good. Every time I've tried it it....it....just sounds like a dying animal honestly. I wanted to show my brother that I could play like her...but...I can't even play. Kind of hard when I've never heard her play."

Feeling as if he'd spoken much more than intended, he rubbed lightly at the short hair at the back of his head.

"Hmm...a simple 'I like the way it sounds' might have sufficed."

"Will ya just play it Death...."

"I've always enjoyed musical instruments...though, violin may be one of the ones I've given less attention to. Piano has always been my forte, you see."

Death, who frowned at James's sullen expression, obliged and stood. His feet quietly moved, stepping across the room in a quick manner. Before one could blink, his chin was rested and sound had begun. Hair touched string, and, for once, it seemed as if even the musical whipped prodigy could not fathom the monstrous sounds he had wrought. After a short moment, he had to come to a stop, shaking his head.

"As I said....I am not very...familiar with a violin..."

Death seemed to lower his head, looking at the small violin now resting on his lap. It was almost as if he held too much shame to share a glance with the blonde boy. There was no need for shame, because, in a moment's time, James erupted into a fit of laughter.

"You fucking suck man. You're almost as bad as me."

Through this, it was obvious that his mood had improved, words coming out somewhat in-between breathing and laughter.

"I assume that's an insult."

Death replied, smirking lightly as he shook his head.

"I sound like a dying cat whenever I touch one of those...it's a very bad insult man."

James replied, laughter ceasing as he lightly wiped at his eye.

"Stick to piano."

His light jabbing showed an improved mood, and, as Death raised the violin up, James flinched, holding his hands up in a defensive manner and lightly smirking.

"Don't damage the equipment!"

James jokingly jabbed as his hands lowered again. Man....this kind of made him remember just how much fun he'd had whenever he'd tried to play. His brother would erupt in laughter as his attempts, yet, he would encourage him to keep going, his bright attitude and encouragement bringing about laughter from the both of them. In those moments he could almost feel his long lost mother laughing with them, taking her time to slowly show him how to play, or letting them both listen in on a piece or two. What he would give to hear the amazing way their mother would play. This time, instead of sadness, the thought brought subtle warmth. She would be proud of him regardless of how close his playing was to a choking Chihuahua. He'd heard she had always been that way. She had apparently been the kindest, most encouraging, and most loving woman his brother had ever known. Though he regretted never knowing her, he felt like he always had. Her voice would encourage him, her hand would push him further, and the warmth he felt toward her would allow him to replace his sadness with love he'd rarely ever felt. One day, it might even be possible that they could pull up seats together, and she could finally teach him how to play. It never hurt to dream, right?

"I guess i'll continue to torture you with piano, hmm?"

Death mocked, placing the violin to the side as he huffed and turned back around, placing his fingers on different keys of the large instrument before him.

"At least you can play that one."