Closer

I know it breaks your heart

Michael sat alone at the bar, drowning his sorrows in glass after glass of Jack. The whiskey burned as it slid down his throat, but he had long since become accustomed to the sensation. He still couldn’t wrap his head around what had happened; he had come home earlier that day to find his house trashed. Fefe was nowhere to be found and all of his calls went directly to her voicemail. His friends were no help. They claimed to have no idea what had set Fefe off or where she was now. He had no time to clean things up; he had a dinner meeting that he had to get to. Afterward, he drove straight to the closest bar.

He drained the amber colored liquor from the glass and placed it on the bar, signaling to the bartender that caught his eye that he wanted another round. The guy rolled his eyes, reaching for another glass. He had to be new. Even in his drunken state, Michael didn’t recognize him. His attitude was beginning to get on Michael’s nerves, but he knew better than to get into a pissing match with one of the bartenders. He wasn’t ready to be cut off. Not yet. Not when the ache in his chest was still so sharp. Fuck. What the hell had happened? Aside from his three kids, Fefe was his entire world and now she was gone.

He lifted the glass to his lips as the latest Bro Country tune came blaring from behind him. His lips curled into a sneer and he quickly downed the whiskey. He could do his drinking somewhere else...in peace. He set the glass back onto the bar and went to ease off his stool. The bartender caught his eye again and started to reach for yet another glass, but Michael shook his head. He slid off the bar and pulled out his wallet. He tossed some bills onto the bar to cover his drinks and leave a generous tip for the bartender.

Ready to leave, he turned in time to see a large group coming into the bar. A quick glance showed a handful of guys covered in tattoos. Despite being in a bar, most of them wore dark sunglasses and Michael rolled his eyes. There was nothing more cliche than “celebrities” wearing sunglasses in public. They thought it would help them “blend” in with everyone else, but it really screamed “notice me”. Deciding to not give them another thought, he began to stride across the bar. He was halfway across the bar when he froze. The guys had a couple girls with them and the petite brunette caught his eye.

Her black hair was longer now, but he had no problem recognizing her. Especially after her light blue eyes met his. He felt the familiar jolt in his chest and his lips curved into a smile. He caught the flash of recognition in her eyes and he made his way toward the group, edging around grinding bodies on the dance floor that separated them. He watched her as she watch him cross the bar, heading for her.

The guys hadn’t noticed that she had stopped, but the other girl had. She looked at her friend, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow. The brunette shook her head and made a shooing motion, but the taller girl stayed where she was. The two stood still as Michael approached them, a smile still playing on his lips.

“Hey Ness,” He greeted, snaking his tattooed arms around her slim waist. “Long time, no see babe.” He expected her to shove him away, but she returned his hug with in a few seconds. Grinning, he leaned down to kiss her on the cheek before he turned his attention toward her friend. “Michael Wayne Atha.”

“It’s nice to meet you Michael,” Her friend replied with a smile. “I’m Aria.”

“It’s nice to meet you too Aria.”

Before anyone could say anything else, one of the guys they were with came back. “There you are babe,” He said, snaking his tattooed arms around Aria’s waist. “We wondered where you disappeared to.”

Aria elbowed him in the ribs. “You’re being rude Jase,” She hissed. “This is Vanessa’s friend Michael.”

A sheepish look came over the guy’s face. “Uh, oh, sorry bro,” He muttered. Removing his muscular tattooed arms from around Aria’s waist, he held a hand out to Michael. “I’m Jason.”

Michael laughed. “No worries.” He replied. “Michael Wayne Atha.”

The two men shook hands and Vanessa moved away from Aria, crinkling her nose. “The two of you are so fucking adorable,” She muttered. “It’s disgusting. It seriously makes me want to puke my soul out.”

Michael laughed again, slinging his arm around her shoulders. “C’mon, let me buy you a drink.”

“If it gets me away from these two,”

She let him lead her back across the bar where they claimed two empty stools. Another bartender noticed them and approached. Vanessa ordered a glass of Smirnoff and another glass of Jack for Michael. He turned to face her as the bartender walked away. “What’ve you been up to Ness? You look good babe.”

She raised her eyebrow at him. “Where’s Fefe?”

He tried not to wince at the sound of her name. “We broke up.”

“Why?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. I came home and found my house trashed.”

She winced. “Ouch.”

“Whatever,” He muttered, reaching for the glass of Jack. “Fuck that bitch.”

“I’d say I’m sorry, but we both know it’d be a lie.”

“No shit,” He snorted. “You fuckin’ hated her.”

She didn’t say anything because she knew he was right. She may not have said it out right, but he knew that she hated Fefe, for whatever reason. Jealous, probably. Because he had picked Fefe over her. That was it, jealousy. It was always the reason when girls hated each other. Motioning for the bartender, he ordered another drink for each of them. A smile came to his lips when he saw that Vanessa was keeping up with him. That was one thing he always loved about her. Her ability to match him, drink for drink.

“You never answered my question.”

She shrugged. “Not much. Made it out to California, where I met Aria.”

“In LA?”

She shook her head. “Sacramento, at Aftershock.”

“I need a smoke.”

She followed him outside and they headed into the alley that ran behind it. He watched as she dug a pack of cowboy killers from the pocket of her shorts and stick a cigarette between her plump lips. Instantly, he felt the blood run straight to his dick. Jesus. It had been what, four or five years, and she could still make him hard. He fumbled for a lighter and watched as she bent toward the flame.

They smoked in silence for a few moments before she tossed the remains of her cigarette down the alley. She took a step closer to him and he let his own cigarette fall from his hand. They stared at each other for a second or two then he made his move, leaning down and crashing his lips against hers. He expected her to pull away and slap him in the face, but she reached up and wound her arms around his neck. He scooped her up and her legs wrapped themselves around his waist as she tangled her fingers in his hair.

Just when he was about to bite her lip, she froze and pulled away. It took him a second, but he finally heard the sound of voices heading back toward the alley. She dropped down and took his hand in hers.

“Let’s get out of here.”

He didn’t say a word, just let her drag him further down the alley and back around the building. In front of the bar, she stopped and looked up at him. “Do you have a car?” She asked. He nodded, smiling.

“I’m parked over here,” He said, starting toward the parking lot.

They got into his Nova and pulled out of the lot. It wasn’t until he was halfway down the road that he remembered that he hadn’t cleaned up his house. One of his friends had offered to clean up while he was at the meeting, but he declined, saying he would do it himself. Fuck it. He hadn’t wanted to bring her back there anyway. There were plenty of motels around, if she didn’t want to fuck in his backseat.

He turned on the radio as he drove and he saw her reaching over, fiddling with the dial. He raised his eyebrow, but didn’t say anything as she turned on the local classic rock station. The familiar sounds of Motley Crue caught his ear and he grinned, turning up the volume. As he expected, she began to sing along with Vince Neil and he joined in. He took a quick glance and laughed as she head-banged.

Parking on a dark, empty dirt road, they both got out and moved to the backseat. Climbing into his lap, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. He pulled her closer so she was flush against him and bit her lip. Obligingly, her lips parted and his tongue slipped inside. She tasted like vodka and Marlboros, a taste that he found that he had missed. He groaned into her mouth as she ground her hips into his and he gripped her tightly. Her vest came off, followed by the tank top she wore underneath, forcing them to break the kiss. He leaned in, biting the tattoo on her shoulder, causing her to moan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Vanessa