Sequel: Dear God
Status: ~finito~

Gimme One Reason.

26

Third Person POV

The group had arrived back at the lake house, much to Michelle's excitement. She bolted towards the SUV, embracing Liz in a tight hug immediately.

"I'm so sorry, oh my god... I'm so glad you two worked it out." She smiled and embraced her once again "You two are so great-"

"We didn't work it out." Liz laughed, moving back as Michelle stared at the two. "It's fine though, we need to be friends. We're so much better as friends." She smiled and ran off towards the house, embracing Jimmy as he held his arms out towards her small body.

Michelle directed her glance towards Matt, he just shrugged "I can't make her take me back. I figured being friends is better than nothing?" His eyes were dull and Michelle noticed, she sighed. Realizing the misunderstanding was her fault and she felt solely responsible now for both of their troubles. The fact her sister would hate her forever for not embellishing her lie enough to get Matt back, even though Michelle had not been aware it was a lie, and for the fact she just broke Matt and Liz up. Matt had been so happy and so had Liz.

"Don't beat yourself up." Zack walked over, putting his hand on her shoulder "It's fine, they'll either work it out eventually or it wasn't meant to be."

She nodded, watching as Matt slowly walked back in to the house. Brian embraced her in a hug, kissing the top of her head. "You didn't know, Mich. It's ok, they understand. I think it opened both of their eyes a little more to what's going on.."

"I hope..." She mumbled and, under Brian's arm, walked back in to the house.

~**~

A few hours had passed and everyone was out back, around yet another fire, drinking. McKenna was in bed already, it was only ten though, but Suzy had insisted she go to bed or at least watch a movie in her room. Which she did with no further argument.

"Watch this fuckers!" Jimmy shouted and flipped off the dock, landing flat on his stomach as he over rotated.

A unanimous ouch! echoed through the laughter and voices of the crowd sitting on the shore, drinking beers and mixed drinks as each one tried to do something stupid off the end of the wooden dock.

"You're next!" Jimmy dragged Zack towards the edge as the shorter tried to stuff his feet in the sand. Failing, as Jimmy succeeded to drag him on the dock.

Matt was staring across the fire at Liz, his eyes focusing on her smile. She could brighten up a room with no windows with that smile. Her laugh intoxicated him further than any beer could achieve. He shook his head from the thoughts as she turned to respond to Brent, her eye catching him.

He smiled back at her as she offered a sympathetic nod. Then returned to her conversation with Brian's brother.

"But... I feel like that's totally invalid." She raised her hands "Boston isn't a fair enough team to compare the Angels to." She shook her head as Brent walked over, sitting in front of her.

"Why not? What's wrong with the Angels?" He asked, sipping his beer.

"What's wrong? Boston's way out of their league." She smirked, raising her shoulders.

"Oh Jesus, don't let your brother hear you." Brent rolled his eyes "He'll shred you."

"He knows." Liz giggled, Matt averted his gaze to what was going on by the dock. Zack and Jimmy were in a full on brawl on the ground, trying to force the other in to the water. "He understands that his team is inferior to mine."

"But you're from LA." Jacky piped up "Shouldn't you be on Zack's side?"

"Did I even ask you?" Liz turned, snapping at Jacky. "What do you even know about baseball?" She looked her over, an emotion taking over her that she couldn't even pin point.

"Enough to know your argument is invalid." Jacky scoffed.

"Listen, do you want your ass beat?" Liz asked, beginning to stand. Brent reached up and sat her down.

"No more fighting, knock it off. Enjoy the rest of the week." He smiled, catching Matt's attention.

No way in fucking hell was his best friend's brother going to try to make a move on Liz. especially not with him sitting right there. But it wasn't Matt's place any more to defend her, it was Zack's. Matt restrained himself from saying anything as Liz bantered back and forth with Brent, ignoring a very fuming Jacky.

Zack had eventually been thrown in the water by Jimmy, and stormed back up the beach and sat net to Jacky, ignoring the fact she was upset. I think Liz was winning this one, I think Jacky would break first.

"Zack," Brent got his attention "Your sister hates LA."

"I know." Zack instantly knew what he meant, considering Liz was sticking her tongue out. "I don't care, who gives two fucks about baseball right now?"

"The fact they're playing each other tonight." Liz hopped out of her seat to grab another beer, hobbling slightly due to the still very dark bruise on her side "Figured you should know LA is losing."

"Fuck off." Zack laughed, pretending to trip her as she walked by "Wanna get me one?"

"No." Liz answered back, throwing a beer at his head. Zack caught it and smiled. "Anyone else?"

"I'll take one!" Michelle called out as they all raised their hands. Liz walked and handed out beers, taking her own to sit down after.

"So," She paused and looked around "Who wants to go light those fireworks off." She pointed to the stack of fireworks that Jimmy brought.

"Oh my god..." Jimmy smiled from the sand beside her "Yes."

"FUCK YES!" A very drink Brian stood and screamed "Let's do it."

Matt stood, going to help Jimmy load them on to the boat. Liz couldn't help but stare at him as he lifted the boxes and carried them to the water. His tattoos were moving with his muscles and she swallowed hard. Her eyes moved quickly towards the pile of fireworks as his made contact with her. Maybe this would be harder than she thought.

She'd have to fix that somehow.
♠ ♠ ♠
xxxooo JbD