Monuments of the Dead

Creed

The mothership downed and landed directly in the middle of the brightly lit field. Dilan Murphy, Captain of his squad, dashed towards a fallen ship and took cover, beckoning at his soldiers to follow him.
"Finn!" Dilan exclaimed, turning to face his right-hand man, "Go around back and take down the passengers head on! The team and I will make our way to the ship so I can put the atom bomb in the generator, then, we'll get the hell outta there! Sound good?" Finn smirked and nodded,

"Sounds great, Cap." Finn turned and ran towards the back of the ship. Out jumped a towering alien species in front of Finn S. Creed, Sergeant of Squad 23-41. Finn snarled and lifted his plasma ray up at the alien's ugly bared teeth, "DIE!" He shouted, blasting the alien in the face. It stumbled backwards and held its face in pain. Finn chuckled, confidently, and smacked the gun back on his holster. "They don't call me TheAssassinCreed for nothing, beyotch!" Finn dashed at the alien and jumped as high as he could, landing with his knees on the back of it. He began tearing away at the unsuspecting monster's flesh.

"MOVE MOVE MOVE!" Dilan ordered, pointing his teammates in the direction of the Mothership's loading dock. "Get that door off and clear the way! I wanna take this mother down!" Dilan smirked, slyly, as his team followed his orders, diligently.

Before the aliens knew what hit them, the whole team had taken over the ship with ease, allowing Dilan to raid the ship freely.

His first move was to dash into the ship's loading deck and head straight through the airvents, crawling towards the control deck. He reached the end of the ducts and began banging his metal boot away at the grate in front of him, eventually loosening it and sending it flying off into the control deck.
"I'm in!" He radioed to his team, "Finn, you holding up?"

Finn struggled to talk as he shot his gun at multiple aliens crawling at him, "Heh, yeah, just getting by!"

Dilan nodded and ran to the generator, whipping out his attachable atom bomb, ready to slam it on that motherboard and shut down the ship.

CLANK!

Dilan swung around, mouth agape,

"Oh crap--" He murmured, staring at the sight. What was Dilan's mistake? Every high-class alien species has a high-class alien mothership and every mothership has a high-class alien species Captain.

The alien captain jumped down from the ceiling and landed on its two hooked feet before lifting its head and letting out an ear piercing shriek. Dilan smacked his hands on his ears and fell to his knees,

"What!? NO! What the hell!" He hollered, stammering down, weakly.

"Wussup?" Finn inquired over his radio.

"I found the boss and--" Just then, the alien Captain grabbed Dilan by the throat and lifted him up. "Oh sh--" The alien raised its spiked arm and jabbed Dilan straight through the stomach, killing him instantly.

Dilan's glasses flashed red with the words "CaptainDilPickle, You Are Dead!".

"Oh great!" Dilan whipped his curly mop of hair out of his face and took off his Oculus rift, plopping into his chair and looking at his computer screen. "Well, Finn." He said into his webcam, looking at his long distant friend on Skype. "Looks like we'll have to go another time at it."

"Really, dude?" Finn repositioned his knees and ruffled his blonde hair, "B-But we were closer than we've ever been! You were TOTALLY gonna take it down, Dil!" Dilan chuckled and shrugged,

"Wasn't good enough, I guess. Maybe I need to redo my calculations." He said, shuffling in his gaming chair and swinging back and forth.

"Ah, no! You're super smart, dude. You never get your calculations wrong!" Finn chuckled a little and leaned on his elbows, getting closer to the cam. Dilan laughed and pretended to act shy,

"Aw Shucks!" The boys chuckled, "How's the weather over there?" Dilan rocked back and forth on the chair.

"Blech, yuck. Humid and freaky--" Finn stood up and grabbed the cam walking, towards the window and recorded outside at the moonlit foggy fields.

"Damn that's freaky!" Dil exclaimed, leaning in to the screen like he was watching a horror movie.

"I know." Finn turned the camera to his face and walked back, "Its a little better that my dad isn't home though. Otherwise, I'd be dead." Dil tilted his curly head,

"Why?" Poor Dilan was pretty naive but can't blame him, he was only 12 years old. It wasn't a bad thing of how little he knew of Finn's personal life. It was better off that way, since Finn's life consisted of violence and abuse of many kinds.

"Well, my dad isn't the Andy Griffith stereotype kinda Papa, if you know what I mean." Finn responded while fiddling with his hoodie strings.

"The hell is Andy Griffith?" Just as Dilan said this, a loud noise clunked on Finn's end.

"Oh--" Finn spun around and looked behind him at his pitch black room. From upstairs in his house, a muffled yelling could be heard. He turned back to the camera, face flushed white like a ghost, "I gotta go dude. Sorry."

BEEEeewww.

His computer shut off and the whirring stopped. His room grew dead silent, save for his panicked deep breathing as he waited for the next scolding.

"FINNICK!" The booming of his father's southern deep voice bellowed through the hallways and made Finn jump a little in fear. "GET YOUR LAZY ASS UP HERE!"

THUNK THUNK THUNK!

The creaky floorboards upstairs let out some dust as his father paced back and forth above him.

"Coming!" Finn hollered back, frantically shoving every sign of his gaming equipment under his spring-loaded mattress-less bed.

"THAT'S IT! I'm comin' down!" At this, Finn's heart stopped. If his dad knew he'd been playing video games, let alone ONLINE, he'd truly be in for a treat.

He stammered around his room in hopes of just magically coming across SOMETHING to save his ass.

CLUNK....CLUNK...

TING TING TING!

He was at the door.

"OPEN UP!" His drunken voice echoed from behind the door. Finnick breathed heavily, throwing Mothership Down: 4 under his bed as well. He sighed in relief at first, thinking he'd covered all his tracks...until..

Boodee boo...boodee boo...

Skype! Finn spun around to his laptop and held down the off button but his finger slipped.

"Yo, Creed--"

"DILAN NO!" Finn hollered through the cam, grabbing the top and almost slamming it shut. Something stopped it right before it closed.

"Well, well well..." The reek of beer and the tang of a pipe smoke swirled around Finn's room from right next to him. Finn shifted his eyes next to him to see his father's grimy fat hand holding the laptop open. "Whose this?!" With one big shove, Billy, Finn's father, sent his son flying across the room and slamming onto his rusty creaky bed with a slam. Billy swung the laptop open and peered his bloodshot yellowed eye into the camera. "Hello there..."
Dilan could feel all his blood rush out of his body as he stared back at the nightmarish bum.

"Wh--Who are you?" Dilan managed to squeak out. The man furrowed his brow a moment before bursting into a deep laughter, followed by a nasty wheeze and a tear wipe.

"Who am I?" Billy repeated, "I'm daddy..." A rotten crooked smile stretched across his unshaven face. "And who...are...you?" Dilan shook his head.

"No one..." With that, he hung up. Billy snarled and then began a low growl that turned into an enraged scream. He flipped the whole table over, crashing the laptop on the ground in a sparking crumbled mess.

"NO!" Finn screamed, reaching an arm out to the broken computer. He started towards it but was stopped when Billy grabbed his frail thin arm. "Let me go!" He wrangled back and forth, shoving with his other weak arm to get his father's beefy hand off.

"Where'd ya think yer goin', young man!?" With his free hand, he began undoing his thick leather belt. Finn's bright eyes glimmered with fear,

"PLEASE!" He yanked, pulled, pushed, jolted...but it was no use.

"You know you deserve it, Finnick!" Billy added, lifting his belt above his head, "You've been disobeyin' me yet again!" He slammed the belt down on Finn's back and let go of his arm, causing him to faceplant onto the cement basement floor he called home. He whimpered as his arms shook, pushing himself up. Something was wet on his stinging back. He peered over his shoulder and saw that where Billy hit him was a rip in his hoodie with a deep slashed cut in his back. His eyes widened. He felt his heart jump to his throat. This didn't feel like every other time when his father was mad. He'd punch, hit, kick and even beat like this...but never drew blood that deep. Never. His whole body shook with fear as his pathetic life flashed before his eyes. This was the end...

"This is the last time you'll disobey me, son!" Billy stepped over him and kicked him over on his back to see his face. He lifted the belt again and slammed it down, just as Finn guarded his face but at the cost of his arm. He wailed in pain and held his now bleeding arm. "You're not s'pposed ta talk to anyone, Finnie!" He bent over and grabbed Finn's shirt by the collar, lifting him up off the ground and dangling him in front of him. "You're not s'pposed to even exist! No one knows you exist! No one but me--" He began walking swiftly towards the brick wall until he reached it where he slammed Finn and held him there, dangling. "--But now...You've let your presence be known, isn't that right Finnie?" Billy slammed his arm across Finn's neck to hold him against the wall and choke him simultaneously. Finn struggled for breath as he kicked his weak legs. He peered over with his eyes around him to look for anything that could help. Nothing to his right, nothing behind Billy...A-ha! A pair of scissors he'd used to open up his controller box laying right next to him on his dresser. He slowly lifted his hand to it, reaching his fingers as far as they'd go. Billy, although dumb as a sack of tobacco, wasn't blind. He glanced at Finn's shaking weak arm and snarled. "You're not going anywhere anymore, you piece of garbage!" He lifted the belt and slammed it down on Finn's outstretched arm. Finn pulled his arm back in pain and coughed, attempting to scream in pain. This really was the end...he was about to die. He felt like he could see the future as his mind imagined up a news article:

17 Year Old Boy Found Beaten to Death in Basement of Country Home

His eyes poured with tears as he stared into his father's unfamiliar eyes. Why...? He wasn't his father anymore...

"21 year old Gina Creed's body was found today in the river by Terrence Creed's home. Officials say she was supposedly strangled to death by Terrence Creed, her brother-in-law, a day after her son Finnick was born. Her husband, William S. Creed, says he didn't know she was pregnant as he was out in boot camp for at least 9 months. The child is being held at a hospital until the arrival of his father."

~~

'It's my fault....' Finn thought, staring those helpless eyes yet again, 'Mother told him he needed to get more money but didn't tell him why...he joined the army for his family...and had no idea she needed it for me...and now..'

CRAAAAASH!!!

The sound of a window smashing to pieces from upstairs interrupted Finn's thoughts. Billy gasped and shot his glance at the staircase leading upstairs. Now was his chance. Just as Billy let his guard down, Finn reached to his left and grabbed the scissors before leaning back and slamming them into his father's shoulder. Billy wailed in pain and dropped both Finn and the belt, grabbing his shoulder as it bled out. "YOU SON OF A--" Finn's eyes widened as he stopped a moment, not knowing what to do with his few seconds of freedom. He watched as his dad wrangled with the bloody scissors and then yanked them out, tossing them on the cement floor with a tingle. Finn gulped hard as his father faced him, more enraged than he'd ever been before. "RUN!" His father hollered at him, and Finn did not hesitate. He turned heel and dashed to the staircase and up the stairs. He swung the door open and stumbled a bit as he ran down the dimly lit hallways, checking behind his shoulder as he went. He heard the thumping sound of his father's combat boots stomping up the wooden stairs from the basement as he turned back forward and dashed directly to his father's bedroom, knowing exactly what he needed.

"I'll get you, you rascal!" The muffled voice of his father could be heard down the halls as Finn slipped into the bedroom doors without a sound. He looked around a moment before dashing to the bed and dropping to his knees. "Come out come out wherever you aarrree!" His father mumbled once more, this time much closer. Finn panicked as he shoved his arms under the bed and yanked out a metal box with a Star on it. He swung it open and saw gold:

1. Revolver pistol with 2 boxes of ammo
2. A glock with 1 box of ammo
3. An AK47 with a satchel full of ammo
and
4. An army backpack full of supplies and a uniform

'Jackpot!' He thought as he raided that big green box until it was empty, pulling an army jacket over his ripped hoodie and slamming a soldier's cap on his head. Just before he shoved it back under the bed, he stopped in his tracks, staring down at the box yet again. Right there, neatly placed underneath the Rifle, was a Polaroid photograph of his father, probably around 20, and...his mother... most likely around 18. His eyes welted with tears as he stared at his mother's innocent face and his father's uncorrupt smirk. He dragged a finger across the photo, caressing the faces he saw.

"There you are!" Finn stood to his feet and swung around, staring at the now opened door where his enraged father stood. The sound of heavy breathing from both ends and dripping of blood were the only sounds heard. Finn backed away slowly, deeper into the bedroom with seemingly nowhere to run. Billy rolled his sleeves as he neared his son, "You weren't supposed to know where those were...how did you?"

"I saw you hide it when the Abernathy family came over..." He answered as quickly as he could.

"Didja now? You were supposed to be hiding in your room when they were over...HOW DID YOU SEE ME!?" Billy's face went bright red and his veins protruded from his thick neck as a bloodthirsty feeling filled the room.

"I-I--" Just then, a slight growl was heard from behind Billy and the two stopped in their tracks, confused. A moment passed before a sudden burst broke the silence.

Out from the hallway behind Billy jumped a deranged looking woman with bared teeth and rotting flesh. She wore a blood and dirt-stained nightgown with no shoes. Her face was unrecognizable as human since most of the flesh was either rotted off or torn away, but Finn could recognize one thing: A saggy distorted tattoo on her left bony arm that read "Abernathy Family Reunion". Grandma Abernathy.

She growled and gurgled as she tore at the open wound in Billy's shoulder until he collapsed to the floor in pain, wailing all the while.

"GET IT OFF ME! FINN!" He hollered, screaming for help. The monstrous women clawed at his shoulder, tearing the skin further apart. "PLEASE!" Billy begged as his eyes poured with tears and his body with blood. He turned his head to the side to look at his son, "Son--I'm sorry..." Finn's lip quivered as he raised the revolver up. Billy smirked gently, admiring his son's obedience until--

"So am I..."

BANG!

No more struggle... No more pain... No more hatred... No more beatings...

Finn was free.