Where We Are

16: It’s So Small

“So, how are things going with you and Iker?” Alex posed as she moved to stop ahead of a shelf, her eyes surveying the content.

It had been a while, with Maia preoccupied with work and with things between her and Iker, it had been a few weeks since she and Alex had had the opportunity to get together, but with the holidays approaching, Maia had suggested that they head out shopping, something which Alex had been quick to jump at. She knew that Maia was preoccupied, with the baby due in a little over three months, and things between her and Iker taking up a lot of her time, she wasn’t surprised that she’d not seen a lot of her friend, but she was pleased that Maia had called. She had missed her.

Maia, who was quietly perusing the rack of baby clothes which stood a little away from Alex, looked up at the sound of Alex’s voice before she shrugged. “It’s still a work in progress” she noted “I mean, we’ve had a few good conversations, we’ve talked through a lot of things, but there are still things that we need to figure out” she explained, a faint smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

She knew that things weren’t fixed, even despite a few good conversations, she knew that things between her and Iker would still take a little time, but she was more optimistic. They were on the same page, they both appeared to want the same thing, and it pleased her, even if she knew that they had to be patient. She was glad that they were getting somewhere.

Alex noticed the small smile which pulled at the corner of Maia’s lips before she shook her head, quirking a grin of her own. “I’ve missed that loved-up smile of yours” she quipped “It looks good on you” she added, playfully nudging her side.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she rolled her eyes, offering Alex a small glare. “I am not loved-up” she noted “Things between me and Iker, they’re improving, but they’re still a long way off being fixed and I am not in a hurry to push them along. You know how I feel about him, Alex, I’ve done a pretty awful job of hiding it, but I am going to be careful this time around. We’ve got a lot more to think about this time around” she added, sparing a soft glance down towards her bump.

Alex followed the line of her stare, admiring the pronounced bump which was noticeable beneath the thick material of her sweater for a second, before she shook her head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “I know you love him” she mused “And for what it is worth, I am rooting for the two of you. I did always like that awkward boyfriend of yours” she teased warmly.

Maia scoffed, biting back a comment about Iker not being her boyfriend, before she shook her head. “He’s not that bad” she noted “Besides, we both know that you have a tendency to come on a little strong. Do you not recall the first time I introduced the two of you?” she posed, picking up a sleep suit off of the rack.

Alex rolled her eyes. “It didn’t go that badly” she retorted.

Maia scoffed playfully. “You took him aside for half an hour, Alex” she pointed out “You caught him completely off guard. He was terrified” she added, a bright smile on her face.

Alex offered her another playful roll of her eyes, quipping something about it not being so bad, before she lowered her stare, studying the tiny item of clothing which sat in Maia’s hand. “Are you going to buy that?” she posed, watching as Maia carefully messed with the foot between her fingers.

Maia, who’d been lightly messing with material, looked up at the sound of Alex’s voice before she quirked a soft smile. “It’s pretty cute, isn’t it?” she posed gently.

Alex admired the soft smile on her friend’s face before she nodded, carefully moving to take the piece of clothing out of her hand. “It’s adorable” she enthused “And I am sure that baba will look adorable in it, so much so, we’ll call it my first Christmas present to you” she added, a warm smile on her face.

Maia shook her head. “Alex...”

“It’s not like you don’t need it, Maia” Alex interrupted, offering her a knowing look.

Maia hesitated briefly, contemplating telling her friend that she didn’t have to buy the sleep suit, before let out a soft sigh, something which encouraged Alex to pad towards to till, fussing about all of the things that Maia and Iker would need for the moment that their little girl arrived.

~#~
Sparing a soft yawn into her hand, Maia quietly padded up the hall, making her way towards her apartment. It had been a long day, with Alex determined to catch up, she had kept Maia out for most of the day, and whilst the brunette had enjoyed catching up with her friend, she was glad to be home, wanting nothing more than to curl up in front of the television and fall asleep. Stifling another yawn into her hand, she moved to find her key in her bag before she lifted her head, her blue eyes settling on Iker who was sat on the ground, his back rested against her door. “Iker?” she squeaked.

Iker, who’d been checking the texts on his phone, looked up at the sound of his name before he pushed himself up to his feet, offering her a small smile. “I hope you don’t mind me dropping by” he quipped “I mean, I know we didn’t arrange to see each other or anything, but...”

“It’s fine, Iker” Maia interrupted “I’m just a little surprised to see you” she added as she stepped passed him, moving to unlock the door.

Iker followed after her, stepping into the apartment, before he nudged the door closed behind him, his dark eyes settling on the bag which sat in her hand. “You went baby shopping?” he posed.

Maia, who’d moved to shrug off her coat, startled at the sound of his voice before she shook her head. “I invited Alex to go Christmas shopping with me” she noted “We’ve not seen each other in a while and I wanted to catch up. Whilst we were out, I popped into a baby shop and she bought me this. She said that it was her Christmas present to me” she explained as she dipped her hand into the bag, offering the tiny sleepsuit out to Iker.

Iker blinked a couple of times before he carefully reached his hand out, brushing his fingers over the material gingerly.

Maia admired the tentative movement of his fingers before she quirked a soft smile. “What do you think?” she posed.

“It’s so small” Iker breathed, a tender smile passing over his lips “I mean, I know baba’s going to be small, but this is so tiny. Our baby is going to be this small?” he added, his voice soft with awe.

Maia marveled at the awe in his voice before she nodded, something which made Iker shake his head. “We need more of this” he murmured, his stare not shifting away from the sleep suit “She needs a nursery, clothes, bottles, toys...”

“And we’ve still got time to get them” Maia interrupted “She’s not going to be here for a few months yet, we’ve still got time to figure it out” she added, her voice warm and comforting.

Iker offered her a small dubious look, something which made Maia smile before she took a pace forwards, lightly offering his hand a reassuring squeeze. “I promise you, we’ve got time, Iker” she insisted softly.

Iker offered her another look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded his head, causing Maia to offer his hand another tender squeeze. “What are you doing here, Iker?” she posed as she moved to step away from him, padding towards the kitchen.

“I had something I wanted to talk to you about” Iker quipped, following after her.

Maia tilted her head. “You do?” she posed.

Iker nodded. “I wanted to ask about your holiday plans” he noted, his tone slightly apprehensive.

Maia blinked. “My holiday plans?” she pressed, a slight frown on her face.

“My mother called earlier” Iker clarified “She was talking about me going back to Madrid for the holidays and she asked if there was any chance of you coming along with me. I know that it’s a little awkward, I mean, things between us...they’re not quite there yet, but I told her that I would at least ask. I think she’s itching to get a shot at fussing over this” he added, his finger lightly brushing over her bump.

Maia stared down at his finger, allowing his words to hang around them for a few seconds, before she shook her head. “She asked to see me?” she posed.

Iker nodded. “She’s missed you” he noted “And she’s more than a little excited about baba. I told her that I would ask, but not to get her hopes up” he added.

Maia hesitated briefly before she shook her head. “My parents are away” she noted.

“They are?” Iker posed.

“Their wedding anniversary is on the 21st” Maia noted “They’ll have been married for thirty years and my papa is surprising my mother with a trip to Paris. They’re going to be gone for two weeks” she explained.

“So, you’re free?” Iker asked.

Maia offered him a hesitant smile before she nodded. “I am” she noted “And whilst a day curled up in front of Christmas films in my pajamas did sound tempting, I can go with you. Is that alright?” she posed, nervously messing with her hair.

Iker quirked a small grin, still amused by her nervousness around him, before he nodded. “I’d like that” he noted “And, who knows? Maybe I can agree with my madre that you can spend the day in your pajamas watching films. I kind of like the sound of it” he enthused impishly.

Maia rolled her eyes, something which made Iker chuckle before he stepped towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. Smiling a little, he felt the skin warm slightly before he ducked away, admiring the blush which had spread across her cheeks. “Gracias” he enthused before he stepped away, musing something about finding them something to watch on TV. Maia watched him out of the room before she let out a soft sigh, a small knot already forming in the pit of her stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)