Where We Are

19: You Say It Like It’s A Bad Thing

Closing his eyes, Iker rested his head back against the couch cushion, his ears doused by the quiet which filled the house. It was early, with Maia struggling with the baby’s kicks, she had spent a lot of the night tossing and turning, and Iker had opted to give her a little space, even if it did mean climbing out of bed a lot earlier than he was used to, he wanted to ensure that she was a comfortable as she could be.

It had been awkward, even despite the fact that they had shared a bed before, spending the night curled with Maia had felt slightly unfamiliar and strange, but at the same time, he had liked it. It was what he wanted, in the long run, he wanted things between him and Maia to go back to the way they had been before their breakup, and whilst it had been a little awkward, he was pleased by how they’d coped. It felt comfortable, for the first time in a while, he felt contented and relaxed when he was around Maia, and it was something he hoped would last.

Stretching his back slightly, he allowed a tired yawn to fall out of his mouth before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached his ears, causing him to lift his head, his dark eyes settling on Maia who stood in the doorway, pulling a hoodie of his around her shoulders. “I hope you don’t mind me borrowing this” she noted “I mean, I forgot to pack my dressing gown and I am kind of cold, but if you’d rather I put it back...” she trailed off, a sheepish look on her face.

Iker smiled, amused by her babbling, before he shook his head. “You can keep it” he noted “Are you OK?” he added, making a space for her at his side.

Maia, who’d padded towards the couch, settled down in the space he had made for her before she nodded, offering him a small smile. “I’m fine” she noted “I mean, baba, she’s kicking up a storm, but it’s nothing I can’t handle. She clearly takes after her papa” she added, her hand lightly passing over her stomach.

Iker watched the movement of her hand briefly before he lightly extended his own, hesitating fractionally before he settled it against the front of her pajama shirt. Offering Maia a brief glance, he wordlessly asked if she was alright with his hand on her stomach, before he felt a small movement against his palm, something which a soft grin to spread across his face. It wasn’t the first one, for a while, the baby had been kicking, but still Iker marveled at the sensation, still a little in awe of the idea that Maia was carrying their baby.

Maia, who’d been watching him quietly, admired the soft grin which had appeared on his face before she shook her head, her fingers moving smooth out a couple of wayward hairs which stuck up in the wrong direction. “You’re grinning again” she mused quietly, not wanting to disturb the calmness which had settled over the room.

Iker shook his head. “You say that like it’s a bad thing” he quipped “I thought you liked my smile?” he teased.

Maia scoffed playfully before she shook her head. “I do” she mused “And I am glad to see it so frequently. I was worried that it wasn’t something I’d see a lot of when I came back to tell you about baba” she added, her tone softening slightly.

Iker, who’d moved to settle himself level with her stomach, sat up slightly, his head titled. “You thought I’d turn you away?” he posed.

Maia offered him a soft glance, her blue eyes slightly timid, before she shrugged. “We’d never even talked about children” she pointed out “I had no idea whether or not you even wanted them, let alone wanted to have them with me, and I guess I was worried. It was a big thing, Iker, coming back and telling you about baba, and I was scared of how you’d react. But you reacted perfectly and I am so glad about it. I’m glad that you’re in this with me” she insisted, her hand gently moving to squeeze his.

Iker spared a soft glance down towards their hands, admiring the fit of their fingers, before he shook his head. “It was a surprise” he admitted “But it is good one, Maia, and I want you to know how glad I am that you told me, even if you did take your time. I know it’s not been the easiest few months, but I am looking forwards to meeting her for the first time” he added, his thumb lightly skimming over the front of her shirt.

Maia admired the movement of his thumb for a couple of seconds before she carefully leant her head a little closer to his, something which caused Iker to stop his movements, his dark eyes mirroring hers. Maia held his stare for a couple of moments, something which encouraged Iker to lift his hand away from her stomach, lightly tucking her dark hair away from her eyes. “I hope she gets your eyes” he noted softly.

“You do?” Maia posed, her cheeks tinting a soft shade of pink.

Iker grinned a little at her blush before he nodded. “Your eyes are beautiful” he noted “They’re blue, but there are hints of green, and I think they’re stunning. Baba would be lucky to have them” he added, tracing his thumb over her cheekbone.

Maia’s already pink cheeks darkened, something which made Iker’s grin grow fractionally before he edged himself forwards, lightly brushing their noses together. Maia stilled slightly, surprised by the light touch of his nose against hers, before she leant in a little more, ghosting her lips over his. Iker smiled at the fleeting contact before he ducked into her, kissing her warmly.

Maia responded quickly, wrapping her arms around him before she ducked back, resting her forehead on his. “Iker, I...” Maia’s voice trailed off as the sound of the footsteps reached her ears, causing her to pull back, pushing herself up to her feet. “I...I should get upstairs and grab a shower” she babbled before she ducked out of the room, passing Unai as she went.

Unai blinked sleepily, surprised by the brunette’s rush to get out of the room before he turned his head, offering Iker a look. “Is she alright?” he posed.

Iker, who’d been staring after Maia, jumped at the sound of his brother’s voice before he nodded. “She’s fine” he breathed “She’s just a little conscious of sitting around in her pajamas. Her shirt’s starting to get a little small on her with the bump” he added. It was a half lie, Maia was a little self-conscious about her bump, but Iker didn’t want to let on that Unai had ruined their moment. It was something that was between him and Maia.

Unai offered him a dubious look, not quite believing him, before he nodded, stepping towards the kitchen.

Iker watched him go before he quietly shook his head, ruing his brother’s sense of timing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)