Where We Are

33: Forget I Said Anything

Stretching her legs out ahead of her, Maia allowed a soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, her blue eyes settled vaguely on the television screen which sat ahead of her. It had been a while, after she and Iker had talked about the prospect of her going back to work, a few weeks had passed, and with the football season having reached a conclusion that evening, Maia had opted to stay awake in anticipation of the goalkeeper showing up.

They were still a little awkward, after their fight, things had been tense and awkward for a while, and whilst it was still noticeable, Maia was pleased by how things were going. She knew that it was going to be a sticking point, eventually, the topic of her going back to work was likely to reappear between them, but she wanted to put it off for a while, not wanting to throw a spanner in the works of something which had been going so well.

Allowing another tired yawn to fall out of her mouth, she pushed a hand back through her hair before she heard someone clear their throat, causing her to lift her head, her eyes settling on Iker who stood in the doorway, an amused smirk on his face. “Am I keeping you up?” he posed, settling his kit bag down beside the door.

Maia merely offered him a playful glare, something which made Iker chuckle before he stepped a little further into the room, settling down on the couch at her side. “You know, you didn’t have to wait up for me” he murmured “I mean, I know that Ella is tiny, but she runs you ragged. You could have easily turned in a while ago” he added, offering her a small smile.

“I know that I could have” Maia replied “But, seeing as it was your last match of the season. I thought I’d stay up and wait for you. I can leave you to it if you’d prefer” she added, offering him a playfully curious look.

Iker feigned thought for a moment before he shook his head, his arm gently moving to wrap around her shoulders. “You can stick around if you want” he mused impishly.

Maia rolled her eyes exaggeratedly, but didn’t say anything, instead opting to curl into Iker’s side slightly. Iker smiled at the small movements before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “You watched the match?” he asked, gently brushing his hand up and down her side. He knew that it wasn’t her favourite thing, when they had dated the first time, she had made it clear that she was a novice when it came to football, but still she tried watch it, something which meant a lot to the goalkeeper.

Maia, who’d moved to trace circles against his thigh, nodded. “It wasn’t the best one in terms of the result” she noted “But still, second in the table isn’t the worst thing” she added.

“First would have been better” Iker pointed out, flashing her a boyish grin.

Maia returned his smile. “Obviously” she teased “But there is always next year” she added, her voice softening slightly.

Iker noted the soft tone of her voice before he nodded, moving to press another soft kiss against the top of her head. “You’re right” he agreed “But, right now, I am not thinking about next season. I’m on vacation for the next few weeks and that means that I can be around for you and Ella more often” he enthused gently.

Maia tilted her head. “You can be around more?” she quipped, poking his side teasingly.

“I’d be here a lot more if you just let me move in here” Iker returned, his voice caught between serious and teasing. It was something which was on his mind, since Ella had arrived, it had crossed his mind more than once, but still he didn’t want to push Maia, even if it did make a lot of sense to him. He knew that it was a step that she needed to make in her own time.

Maia paused for a second, allowing his words to hang in the air, before she looked up at him, her blue eyes mirroring his darker ones. “Iker...”

“I was kidding, Maia” Iker interrupted, not missing the expression which had passed over her face.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised that he had cut her off, before she shook her head, a small smile appearing at the corner of her mouth. “I know you were” she quipped “I’ve known you long enough to know the awkward tone you use when you’re kidding, but maybe...maybe it’s not the dumbest thing in the world” she added timidly.

Iker blinked. “Huh?” he posed.

Maia shrugged tentatively. “It’s crossed my mind” she admitted “I mean, even despite the hiccup we had recently, things have been going pretty well between the two of us as of late, and it’s crossed my mind a couple of times. You’re here most of the time anyway, you’re going to be around more now that you’re on vacation, and maybe...maybe the timing is right, but if you don’t think so, then we can put it off for a little longer” she babbled, her cheeks flaming pink.

It was something she had given thought to, after Iker had previously breached the topic, the idea of them moving in together had passed through her mind more than once, and whilst a small part of her remained slightly wary, she wanted to do it. They were in a good place, even despite their hiccup, their relationship seemed solid and comfortable, and she wanted to take a step forwards, even if it was a relatively small one. She wanted to take their relationship further.

Iker simply stared at her, something which made Maia shake her head before she pushed herself up to her feet. “Forget I said anything” she murmured before she attempted to step away.

Iker, however, was quicker, his hand quickly taking a hold of hers before he turned her back to face him. “Are you being serious?” he posed quietly.

Maia spared him a soft look before she shrugged. “It was just a suggestion” she noted “But if you think it’s stupid, it’s OK. We’ve said it before, we’re in no hurry here” she babbled, bashfully tucking her hair behind her ear.

Iker admired her familiar nervous habit before he shook his head, a soft smile appearing on his face. “You really want to do this?” he posed gently “I mean, the last few weeks, things have been a little awkward between us. You think the timing is right?” he posed. He had no doubt that it was what he wanted, for a while, he had been itching to move things forwards between them, but still he wanted to offer her the opportunity to duck out. The last thing he wanted was for them to rush into something, only to regret it further down the line.

Maia stared at him for a couple of seconds, mulling his words over, before she offered him a small smile, nodding her head hesitantly. “You don’t?” she posed.

“I didn’t say that” Iker countered “I just...I worry” he added.

Maia nodded. “It is something you’re pretty good at” she teased half-heartedly.

Iker smiled gently at her teasing before he took a pace towards her, his hand squeezing hers gently. “You sure?” he posed.

Maia nodded. “I am” she noted “But if you want to hold off...”

“I’m with you” Iker cut in “If this is what you want, then I am with you” he clarified.

Maia offered him a small dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she quirked a grin, something which encouraged Iker to lean forwards, pressing his lips to hers. He knew that it wasn’t the biggest step, since Ella had arrived, they had practically been living together anyway, but still he was excited by the idea. It was new, the two of them hadn’t lived together formally before, and he was excited by the idea of trying to figure it out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Footie for the comments :)