Where We Are

03: You’re Having My Baby

Shifting in her seat slightly, Maia spared a nervous glance down towards her watch, her eyes watching as the second hand ticked around the face. It wasn’t the first time that she had looked at it, since she had sat down almost ten minutes earlier, she had cast more than one glance down towards the watch which sat on the wrist, but still time appeared to be moving slowly, too slowly for her liking.

She was nervous, from the moment she had set the phone down, she hadn’t been able to shift the knots in her stomach, and whilst a small part of her had been tempted to skip out on the meeting that she had arranged with Iker, she had talked herself into it, knowing that it was something she couldn’t simply keep avoiding.

Fiddling with her watch slightly, she shifted awkwardly in her seat for a moment before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes settling on Iker who peeked down at her, a warm smile on his face. “Maia” he greeted warmly.

Maia blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by his arrival, before she pushed herself up to her feet, a shy smile on her face. “Iker” she breathed “It’s good to see you” she added, shifting her feet awkwardly.

Iker watched her for a moment, not missing the awkwardness about her, before he took a pace towards her, wrapping her in a soft hug, something which caused Maia to still briefly before she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him close. “It’s good to see you too, Maia” Iker mumbled “I mean, your call was a little out of the blue...” he trailed as he stepped back, a soft teasing smile on his face.

Maia’s cheeks warmed a little, something which made Iker chuckle before he gestured over her shoulder, motioning towards her table. “Can I get you anything before we sit down?” he asked.

Maia shook her head. “I’m OK” she noted, her voice more than a little uncertain.

Iker quirked an eyebrow, not missing the tone of her voice, before he nodded his head gently. “Alright” he noted “What’s going on?” he asked, moving to sit down in the seat opposite Maia’s.

Maia, who’d padded back towards her own seat, paused for a second before she lifted her head, her eyes meeting his. “I...I have something that I need to talk to you about” she stumbled out, her fingers nervously pulling at the napkin which sat on the table ahead of her.

Iker quirked a small grin, slightly amused by her nervous habit, before he nodded. “I know that” he noted “You told me that when you called me earlier. What is it that you want to talk to me about, Maia?” he asked gently.

Maia offered him another soft look, trying to ignore the lump in her throat, before she shook her head. “I know that this is out of the blue” she noted “I mean, I should have made this call a lot sooner than I did, and I know it, but...but I have something that I need to tell you. A couple of weeks after...after you and I broke up, I started to feel a little unwell. I was nauseous a lot, tired too, so much so, I decided to do a test, two tests actually, and they both told me the same thing. That I am...that I’m pregnant” she stumbled out, her eyes not shifting away from her hands which fiddled nervously with the tattered napkin.

Iker, who’d been watching her hands, stilled at her words before he lifted his head, his brown eyes wide in surprise. “What?” he breathed.

“I’m pregnant” Maia repeated “Twelve weeks now” she added.

Iker furrowed his brow, a frown perched on his lips. “You...you’re pregnant?” he whispered in awe.

Maia nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly, a faint smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Iker blinked a couple of times, allowing her confirmation to hang around them for a moment, before he shook his head, an awed smile appearing at the corner of his mouth. “You’re having my baby” he breathed, looking up at her slightly.

Maia mirrored his stare for a moment before she quirked a small smile. “I am” she confirmed “I have a picture, if you want to see one” she added, hesitantly moving to slip the sonogram picture out of her jacket pocket.

Iker stared at the small piece of paper for a moment before he reached his hand out, carefully slipping it out of hers before he turned it over, his expression softening at the sight of picture. “This is ours?” he murmured gently.

Maia simply nodded, something which made Iker let out a small awed laugh before he shook his head, his thumb lightly tracing the shape of the baby. Maia admired the tender smile on his lips before she shook her head. “I’m sorry for not coming sooner” she noted, breaking the quiet which had settled over the two of them “I mean, I should have come right away, and I am sorry that I didn’t” she babbled.

Iker, who was still staring at the sonogram, lifted his head at the sound of her voice before he shook his head. “You should have done” he noted “I should have been the first call you made, but right now, I don’t want to focus on that. I am still trying to wrap my head around that this...this is ours” he babbled, gesturing to the picture which he had gently placed down onto the table.

Maia followed his gesture before she quirked a small smile, her eyes admiring the picture fondly. “It takes a while” she mused “I mean, I’ve known for a little while, but I am still not quite used to the idea yet. We’re going to be parents, Iker” she added warmly.

Iker let out another small awed noise, his lips curving into a light smile at the sound of the word ‘parents’, before he spared a glance towards Maia. “What are you doing tomorrow night?” he posed.

Maia shrugged. “Not a lot” she replied “Why?” she added.

“Because you should come over to my place. We need to talk, Maia” Iker noted “I want to take tonight, I want to try and wrap my head around this, but I want us to talk, Maia. We’ve got things to figure out” he added, sparing a quick glance down towards her stomach.

Maia followed the line of his stare, mulling his words over, before she nodded. “Tomorrow night” she noted “I’ll see you then” she added as she moved to push herself up to her feet, pulling her jacket around her shoulders.

Iker mimicked her action, quickly pushing himself up to his feet, before he took the jacket from her hand, carefully settling around her shoulder. “I forgot to mention how good you look” he mumbled “You look beautiful, Maia” he added bashfully, adjusting her jacket around her.

Maia’s cheeks warmed at the compliment. “You think?” she spluttered.

Iker nodded. “You’re glowing” he enthused timidly.

The blush on Maia’s cheeks darkened a fraction before she shook her head. “I...I should be going” she babbled “I’ll see you, Iker” she added.

Iker nodded and pulled her into a quick hug, something Maia returned hesitantly before she pulled herself away, mumbling a quick goodbye as she sped across the café. Iker watched after her briefly before he moved to pull on his own jacket, his head spinning with her words.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Twisted;;Symphony, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)