Where We Are

43: We Needed It

Stretching his feet out ahead of him, Iker allowed his head to recline, the stare of his dark eyes settled on Maia who was stood further down the beach, Ella cuddled in her arms as she paddled in the shallow water. It had been quick, almost as soon as he had suggested the idea, Maia had found them a flight, and Iker had quickly booked it, not wanting to pass up on the opportunity to get away from their home for a few days. It had been impromptu, his suggestion that they head away for a few days had been one which had come out of nowhere, but he was pleased that they’d opted to do it, even if they did only have a couple of days. It was time that he was keen to make the most of.

Settling his head down against his towel, he pushed the frames of his sunglasses up his nose before he quirked a small smile, watching as Maia fussed happily over Ella. Admiring the two of them for a second, he let out a contented sigh before he turned over slightly, staring up towards the sky briefly before he closed his eyes.

“Did you put on sun cream?”

Iker, who’d been enjoying the distant sound of the sea, flinched at the sudden sound of Maia’s voice before he blinked his eyes open, allowing them to mirror Maia’s blues which peeked down at him curiously. “Huh?” he spluttered.

Maia, who’d moved to settle down on the towel beside him, shook her head. “I asked if you’d put on sun cream” she quipped “You looked like you were about to drop off to sleep and I don’t want you to get sunburnt. We both know that you’d only spend the rest of the day complaining about it” she added with a grin as she gently adjusted the sunhat which she had placed on top of Ella’s dark hair.

Iker quirked an impish smile. “Are you worrying about me?” he posed teasingly.

Maia offered him a small glare, something which made him chuckle before he leant over, carefully lifting Ella up into his arms. “Stop worrying so much” he mumbled, pressing a quick kiss against her cheek.

Maia rolled her eyes slightly at the feel of his lips against her cheek before she carefully moved to lay down against her towel, something which Iker was quick to mimic, settling Ella down against his chest. “We should think about getting back to the villa soon” he murmured “It’s getting pretty hot out and I don’t want it to get too much for her” he added, gently tracing his fingers up and down Ella’s back.

Ella, who was contently resting against his chest, stirred slightly at the feel of his fingers before she let out a soft yawn, something which made Maia smile gently. “She’s almost asleep already” she mused “We should get her back and settle her down for a little while” she added before she moved up to her feet, gently dusting the sand off of her skin.

Iker watched her for a couple of seconds, his dark eyes admiring her body, before he quirked a soft smile, something which caused Maia to lift an eyebrow. “What’s the smile for?” she posed as she pulled her cover-up on.

Iker shrugged. “I’m not allowed to smile at you?” he enquired playfully.

Maia simply rolled her eyes, causing Iker to let out an amused laugh before he shook his head. “You look beautiful” he noted, his voice softening slightly.

Maia, who’d moved to clear away a few of their things, stilled at the sound of his voice before she timidly ducked her head, trying to hide the soft shade of pink which had appeared on her cheeks. Iker smiled, not missing the blush which had appeared on her cheeks, before he pushed himself carefully up to his feet, moving to lift their bag up onto his shoulder. “We should get moving” he noted, offering his hand back towards her.

Maia admired his hand for a split second before she placed hers into it, allowing him to curl his fingers around hers. Offering her hand a light squeeze, he carefully adjusted Ella against his chest before he moved to lead her up the beach, a small grin playing on his lips. He knew that it wouldn’t last long, with only a few days away from training, he knew that he would find himself back in Porto before he knew it, but he was determined to make the most of it, even if they did only have a few days. He wanted to ensure that both he and Maia were as relaxed as they could be.

~#~
Swirling her feet around in the warm water of the pool, Maia smiled to herself, her fingers messing shyly with a piece of her hair. It had been a relaxed day, she and Iker had spent a while at the beach before they’d returned to their villa, and Maia had to admit that she had enjoyed herself, even if it wasn’t quite what she was used to when she travelled. She was appreciative of the opportunity to take a little time out. It had been full on, since she had told Iker that she was expecting Ella, things had come at them thick and fast, and whilst she wouldn’t have changed a moment of it, she was glad of a break.

Moving her feet slowly, she enjoyed the feel of the warm water against her skin before she felt something bump against her leg, causing her to startle slightly before she lifted her head, her eyes settling on Iker. “I thought you were indoors taking a nap” she mused, diverting her stare back down towards the pool.

“I was” Iker noted “But I woke up and I thought I’d come and see what you were up to. Is Ella still asleep?” he posed.

Maia nodded. “She is” she noted “But I don’t think it will be too much longer before she’s up. She’s due for a feed in about fifteen minutes” she added.

Iker nodded his head before he leant over slightly, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder. “You OK?” he posed quietly.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink at the small amorous action before she turned, offering him a soft smile. “I’m fine” she noted “If anything, I’m pretty relaxed” she added.

“Yeah?” Iker quipped, wrapping his arm around her waist.

“This isn’t the worst idea you’ve ever had” Maia returned, leaning her head against his shoulder.

Iker scoffed playfully. “I do have a good idea from time to time” he played along.

Maia flashed him an impish smile before she craned her neck, pressing a quick kiss against his lips. “I know you do” she mumbled “And this is one of them. I think that this is something that I needed. Thank you for suggesting it” she added.

Iker shook his head. “We needed it” he corrected “The last year, it was pretty full on, and I think we needed this, even if it is just a couple of days. I want you to relax, Maia” he insisted, gently running his hand up and down her side.

Maia leant into his touch slightly before she turned her head, placing a soft kiss against the underside of his jaw. “Do you think about what happens next?” she murmured, breaking the beat of silence which had passed between them.

Iker, who was still running his hand up and down her side, paused slightly at the sound of her question before he tilted his head. “What?” he posed.

“Do you think about the future?” Maia clarified gently “I mean, it’s Ok to say that you don’t, but I was just wondering. If we had one problem before it was that...”

“I’d like another baby” Iker interrupted.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised by his words, before she tilted her head, a curious smile on her face. “You would?” she posed.

Iker nodded. “Not any time soon” he noted “I’d like to enjoy watching Ella get a little older before we think about giving her a brother or sister, but I’d like to give her one eventually. You?” he posed.

Maia nodded. “Eventually” she quipped “But we’d need to find a bigger place. My apartment’s pretty small” she added, leaning her head on his shoulder once more before a small yawn fell out of her mouth.

“Our apartment” Iker corrected with a playful eye roll.

Maia scoffed out a laugh before she let out another yawn, something which made Iker lean down, kissing the top of her head gently. “This conversation can wait” he noted “So, why don’t you head inside and get some sleep? I’ll take care of Ella when she wakes up” he added, moving to drop a kiss on her shoulder.

Maia thought about rejecting his offer, insisting that she didn’t need to sleep, but the small yawn that fell out of her mouth betrayed her, something which made her nod reluctantly. “I guess I am pretty tired” she quipped.

Iker nodded before he gently pulled her back up to her feet, nudging her towards the house. “I’ll see you in a bit” he noted with a warm grin.

Maia returned his smile gently before she padded towards the house, more than a little glad that they had taken the trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)