Where We Are

44: It’s Not Impossible

“Remind me again. Why am I going with you?”

Maia, who was running a brush through her dark hair, rolled her eyes at the sound of Iker’s question before she lifted her head, offering him a small glare. It wasn’t the first time that he had asked, since she had broached the topic of the two of them heading out on a double date with Alex and her new boyfriend, Iker had asked more than once why she wanted him to go along with her, but after a few times, Maia had stopped responding to him, something which made Iker laugh.

It had been a little while, after their impromptu vacation, a few weeks had passed, and Iker was pleased by how settled things seemed to be between the two of them. He knew that it was still a work in progress, even despite the steps forwards they’d made, he knew better than to try and push things forwards, but he was content with how things were going, even if they had had their moments. He was glad that he and Maia had opted to give things another shot.

“Because it is supposed to be a double date” Maia retorted, moving to pull her hair up “And it’s not much of one if I show up without you. You are my boyfriend, Iker” she pointed out.

Iker, who was stood in the door way, quirked an impish smile before he nodded. “I know that I am” he quipped “And if it means that much to you, I am sure that I can survive a night with your best friend, but it does mean that you owe me one” he added, moving to collect his phone and wallet from the nightstand.

Maia lifted a playful eyebrow. “I owe you one?” she quipped, slipping her feet into her shoes.

Iker nodded. “We both know how Alex can be when it comes to me” he noted.

Maia let out a soft sigh, knowing that he had a point about Alex being slightly excitable when it came to them as a couple, before she nodded her head. “We do” she agreed “And I will make it up to you” she added, her voice softening slightly.

“I don’t doubt it” Iker mused “But right now, we ought to get moving. From what I remember of Alex, she’s not one who likes to be kept waiting” he added, moving to wrap his jacket around his shoulders.

Maia rolled her eyes playfully at his words before she mimicked his actions, wrapping her own coat around her shoulders before she padded out of the room, Iker in tow. She didn’t know why she was nervous, in the time that she and Iker had spent dating, he and Alex had spent time around one another more than once, but still she was slightly apprehensive. She knew how Alex could be, her friend had always had a habit of being a little too curious for her own good, and she was slightly worried about the prospect of Alex trying to poke at her relationship with Iker.

~#~
“I was starting to think that you weren’t going to show up”

Maia, who’d moved to pull her coat off, jumped at the sound of Alex’s before she whipped around, quickly gathering her into a warm hug. “I told you that we’d be here” she noted “Do you really think I am going to pass up the opportunity to meet the new man in your life?” she added.

Alex scoffed playfully before she took a step back, her eyes settling on Iker who stood behind Maia, a sheepish smile on his face. “Iker” she greeted “It’s really good to see you” she added as she stepped towards him, pulling him into a hug.

Iker jumped, not quite expecting the hug, but he covered it quickly, offering her a light squeeze before he took a pace backwards. “It’s really good to see you too, Alex” he greeted “It’s been a while, no?” he added.

Alex nodded her head in agreement. “It has been” she noted “And whilst I’d love to continue with this awkward small talk, why don’t we make our way to the table?” she posed, offering him a small encouraging smile. She could see that he was nervous, the look on his face spoke volumes, and she wanted to encourage him to calm down slightly, even if she doubt that he would relax entirely. She didn’t want him to feel awkward or uncomfortable around her.

Iker let out a small laugh at her joke before he nodded. “That sounds good to me” he noted.

Alex flashed him another warm smile before she guided them through the restaurant, stopping at the table where her boyfriend sat, perusing the menu. “Will?” she posed.

Will, who was staring down at his menu, jumped at the sound of Alex’s voice before he lifted his head, flashing a warm smile towards Maia and Iker. “You must be Maia” he greeted, offering his hand out towards the brunette.

Maia shook his hand. “That’s me” she enthused warmly “And this is my boyfriend, Iker” she added.

Will nodded. “It’s good to meet the two of you” he noted “Alex talks about you a lot, Maia, and it’s nice to finally put a face to the name” he added.

Maia scoffed. “I do hope she only says good things” she added, sparing a playful glance towards Alex.

Alex merely shrugged, something which made Maia roll her eyes before she sat down, her hand quickly finding Iker’s. Iker smiled at the feel of her hand before he knotted their fingers together, offering her hand a light squeeze that Maia was more than happy to return.

~#~
“So, how long have the two of you been together?” Iker posed as he sipped on his drink, his eyes settled on Alex who was sat across from him, mumbling into Will’s ear. It had been a good night, despite both Iker and Maia’s nerves about the prospect of heading on a double date with Alex and her boyfriend, the evening had been a lot of fun, and Iker was glad that they had done it, even if he was still slightly awkward around Alex. He wanted to make the effort to get to know Maia’s friends.

Alex looked up at the sound of his voice before she offered him a small smile. “It’s been a while now” she mused “A couple of months” she added.

Iker nodded, taking another sip of his drink.

“What about you and Maia?” Will posed, trying to keep the conversation moving “Have you two been together for very long?” he asked.

Iker spared an impish look towards Maia before he shrugged. “It’s complicated” he quipped “But we’ve been together for a while now and things seem to be going pretty well. Right, Maia?” he posed, a boyish grin on his face.

Maia admired the grin on his face for a moment before she shook her head, something which made Will smile. “You two are good together” he quipped.

“They are” Alex enthused “So much so, I wouldn’t be surprised if we needed to buy you a new suit in the near future” she added, a suggestive smirk on her face.

Maia, who’d moved to sip on her glass of wine, spluttered slightly on the liquid before she shook her head. “Alex” she warned.

Alex held up her hands defensively. “It’s not impossible, Maia” she quipped.

Maia opened her mouth to retort, but Iker was quicker. “It’s not” he noted “But right now? It’s not likely. We’re taking our time to figure things out, Alex, and whilst it’s not impossible, it’s not something which is on either of our minds, is it, Maia?” he posed, sparing her a soft look.

He knew that it had caught her off guard, the way that she had spluttered on her drink made it more than obvious that Alex’s words had caught her just as off guard as they had him, but he wanted to diffuse the situation, not wanting to ruin their night. It wasn’t something they’d talked about, other than Hector, he’d not let on to anyone that he had had thoughts about proposing to Maia, and he wanted to keep it that way. He had little doubt that getting married was something which was a long way from Maia’s thoughts and he didn’t want to push it.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised that he’d managed to speak before her, before she nodded, her blue eyes settling on Iker wore a reassuring smile on his lips. “It’s not impossible” she noted “But right now, it’s not happening. Things are good between us, Alex, they’re going really well, and I like it that way. We’re not in a hurry” she added with a bashful smile.

Alex watched the interaction between the two of them, not missing the loved up smiles on their faces, before she quirked a grin of her own, more than confident that they’d get there eventually.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)