Where We Are

47: It’s Just A Feeling

“So, how are things going between you and Will, Alex?” Maia asked as she gently rocked Ella’s pushchair, her blue eyes peeking up at her friend who was sat opposite her, nursing her mug of coffee. It had been a little while, after the double date that they had been on, it’d been a few weeks since the two of them had gotten together, but with the holidays approaching quickly, Maia was keen to finish up her last minute shopping, something which had led her to call Alex.

It had been a little awkward between them, after Alex had suggested the idea of her and Iker getting engaged, Maia had been slightly irked with her for having pushed the subject, but after she and Iker had spoken, she had relaxed slightly, something which had allowed her and Alex to make amends. She knew that there was no avoiding the subject, with it having been almost a year since she and Iker had gotten back together, she knew that it was only a matter of time before people starting wondering about them taking the next step, but for a little while she wanted to shy away from it, even if it was something that she wanted in the long run. It wasn’t something they were in a hurry to do.

Alex, who was sipping her drink, quirked a bashful smile over the rim of her cup before she shrugged her shoulders. “It’s going pretty well” she mused “I mean, it’s still pretty early days, but I like him, Maia. I think he could be around for a while yet” she enthused brightly.

Maia admired the smile which had appeared on Alex’s face before she shook her head, something which made Alex scoff. “What?” she quipped.

“You” Maia retorted “I can’t remember the last time you were so giddy over a boyfriend. It’s pretty cute” she fussed teasingly. It was rare, for a long time, Alex had been particularly flighty when it came to relationships, but Maia was pleased that she was starting to settle down slightly, even if things were still in their early stages between her and Will. She was glad to see that her friend was so happy.

Alex offered Maia a small glare before she shook her head, gently kicking her shin beneath the table. “It’s not like you can talk” she quipped “I mean, I’ve seen you around Iker” she pointed out.

Maia shook her head as she took a sip of her drink. “I am not that bad” she retorted.

“Of course not” Alex returned, rolling her eyes sarcastically.

Maia scoffed at Alex’s sarcasm before she poked her tongue out playfully, something which made the ginger woman giggle before she flicked her attention down towards her phone, smiling at the text which filled the screen. Maia quirked an amused grin, not missing the loved up smile which had appeared on Alex’s face, but she opted not to comment, instead turning her attention towards Ella who snoozed happily in her pushchair. Watching her sleep for a moment, she lightly adjusted the material of the little girl’s dress before she felt a familiar lurch in her stomach, causing her to still.

“Maia?”

Maia, who’d been trying to stifle the nauseous feeling, startled at the sound of Alex’s voice, but didn’t lift her head, still trying to get rid of the lump in her throat.

Alex stared at her for a couple of seconds before she shuffled her seat a little closer, ducking her head to meet Maia’s stare. “You OK?” she posed.

Maia nodded her head before she sat up a little, a faint smile on her face. “I’m fine” she noted.

Alex scoffed. “You know that you’re the worst liar, right?” she posed “Come on, Maia” she added.

“Alex...”

“There’s something up, Maia” Alex cut in “We both know it and we both know how useless you are at lying to me, so let’s just skip that part and get to the point, shall we?” she added, her tone firm. She knew that there was something up, the look on Maia’s face was a giveaway, and she wanted her to confide in her, even if it wasn’t the biggest deal. She wanted to know what it was that was on her mind.

Maia looked at her friend for a moment, briefly contemplating insisting that there was nothing on her mind, before she shook her head, gently tucking her hair behind her ear. “I feel nauseous” she murmured.

Alex tilted her head. “Food poisoning?” she poked.

“I doubt it” Maia replied quickly “I mean, it could be, but it feels pretty...familiar” she murmured, sparing a timid glance towards Ella.

Alex frowned, slightly confused by Maia’s words, before the realization hit her. “Oh” she breathed.

Maia nodded. “Yeah” she mumbled.

“You think it...it’s that?” Alex babbled.

“I do” Maia replied “But I’ve not taken a test yet, so I am not certain. Right now, it’s just a feeling I have” she added.

Alex nodded her head slowly. “You’ve spoken to Iker?” she posed.

Maia shook her head. “No” she replied “I keep thinking about doing it, but then he looks up at me and I just shut up again. It’s really soon, Alex” she babbled timidly.

“You clearly don’t waste time” Alex teased awkwardly.

“Alex...”

“You have to do a test, Maia” Alex interrupted “And you have to talk to Iker. You’re right, it is soon, but if there is one person that’s going to be over the moon, it is him” she insisted.

“You think so?” Maia mumbled, twisting the ends of her hair around her finger.

Alex nodded her head before she reached her hand across the table, offering Maia’s a tight squeeze. “I have no doubt about it” she mused softly.

Maia spared her a slightly dubious look before she let out a soft sigh, something which made Alex offer her hand another soft squeeze. “We can pick up a test” she noted “And then we can head back to your place. Iker’s playing an away match tonight, isn’t he?” she posed as she pushed herself up to her feet, pulling her coat around her shoulder.

“He should be back pretty late” Maia confirmed.

Alex nodded. “We should get moving” she noted “We’ll drop by a chemist, pick up a couple of tests, and get them done before Iker gets home” she insisted with a soft reassuring smile.

Maia admired her smile briefly before she nodded her head, pushing herself up to her feet. Taking in a soft breath, she wrapped her coat around her shoulders before she moved to steer Ella’s pram out of the café, butterflies twitching in the pit of her stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)