Where We Are

50: Little Lies

Tying the laces of his shoes, Iker pushed his spare hand back through his hair, his dark eyes peeking towards the mirror which stood a little away from him. It had been a little while, after Maia had discovered that she was expecting again, a couple of weeks had passed, and with Christmas having arrived, they were due to make the trip to Maia’s parents, something which had the keeper slightly on edge.

He knew that there was no avoiding it, with his parents having made the trip in from Madrid to spend the holidays with Ella, he knew that he and Maia had to at the very least, put in an appearance, but still he was a little apprehensive, not wanting the news of Maia’s pregnancy to get out before they were ready. She was only a few weeks pregnant, a trip to their midwife had confirmed that she was nearly seven weeks, and Iker wanted to keep it quiet for a little while, something he knew was likely to be a little difficult around Maia’s mother in particular.

Straightening out his hair a little more, he moved to pulled on his jacket before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to lift his head slightly, smiling gently at the sight of Maia who had stepped into the room, Ella balanced on her hip. “Are you nearly ready to get going?” she posed, moving to collect Ella’s nappy bag which was sat on the floor beside the door.

“I think so” Iker replied “Are you still sure that we can’t get out of it?” he asked.

Maia, who’d moved to rest the bag on her shoulder, smirked a little at his question before she shook her head. “I am pretty certain” she quipped “I mean, your parents flew out especially to spend time with Ella today and I think they’d be a little upset if we didn’t show up. Besides, if we don’t go, my mother will just show up here and you won’t be able to get rid of her” she added, her voice warm and teasing.

She knew why he was trying to get out of it, with the news of her pregnancy still settling in for the two of them, the last thing he wanted was for the news to get out so soon, but Maia knew that there was no way out of it, even if it did mean handling a few questions from their parents. She was certain that it would look more suspicious if they ducked out entirely.

Iker, who’d moved to fuss over Ella, spared her a slightly dubious look before he let out a soft sigh, something which caused Maia to push herself up onto her toes, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re worrying for nothing” she murmured.

“It’s still early” Iker replied, resting his forehead against hers “And for a few weeks, I want to keep this to ourselves, something which is going to pretty difficult with your madre around. Didn’t she guess last time around?” he posed, his thumb lightly brushing over the front of her shirt.

Maia watched the tentative movement of his thumb for a moment before she lifted her head, pressing another light kiss against his lips. “She did” she mused “But that was last time. I was shocked, Iker, finding out that I was pregnant after we broke up, it was a shock for me and I wasn’t exactly prepared to keep it to myself. I didn’t exactly have someone else to lean on, so when I visited my mama and papa, it was pretty clear that there was something up and after only a couple of guesses, she guessed that I was expecting and we both know how awful a liar I am. I couldn’t deny it” she added.

“You could have called me” Iker pointed out, his voice slightly soft.

Maia nodded. “I should have done” she agreed gently.

Iker briefly contemplated pushing the subject, wanting to ask why she had avoided calling him, but he dismissed it, instead offering her a soft smile. “You think you can hide it better this time around?” he posed.

Maia returned his smile. “I think so” she noted “But if not, it’s not the worst thing that could happen. At least if their fussing about baba, they’re not going to be pushing another certain subject” she added as she reached her hand up, lightly adjusting the collar of his shirt which was awkwardly folded over the collar of his sweater.

Iker admired the small amorous action before he leant forwards, pressing a quick kiss against her forehead. Maia smiled softly at the feel of his lips against her skin before she ducked back, knotting their fingers together. “We should go” she mused.

Iker hesitated for a second before he nodded. “We should” he agreed.

Maia offered him a reassuring smile before she led him towards the door, squeezing his hand gently in comfort.

~#~
“So, Maia, what did you buy Iker for Christmas?” Carolina posed as she sipped on her glass of water, her eyes settled on her daughter who sat opposite her, finishing up feeding Ella. It had been a quiet morning, with the two families still getting to know one another, things had been ever so slightly awkward, but Maia was pleased with how things were going, especially since it was still early days. She was confident that her parents and Iker’s would warm to each other quickly.

Maia, who was wiping Ella’s face, blushed softly before she shook her head. “I got him a few things” she noted “I bought him a couple of little gifts, like an aftershave he likes and a sweater he wouldn’t shut up about, but I also got him a couple of other things, his favourite being the little Real Madrid shirt I bought for Ella along with a trip back to Madrid in the summer” she added, shyly tucking her hair behind her ear.

Carolina smiled. “That’s adorable” she quipped.

Maia shrugged. “He’s pretty difficult to buy for” she quipped “Every time I asked what it was he wanted, he made some cute little comment and just grinned at me” she added.

“That doesn’t sound unlike him” Carolina quipped “I’m sure you’ve noticed, but your boyfriend is pretty cute” she added as she leant across the table, collecting a bottle of white wine which had been left in the centre of it.

Maia rolled her eyes, her blush darkening slightly, before she shook her head. “Is Papa going to serve dinner soon?” she asked, changing the subject.

Carolina, who’d moved to pour herself a glass, nodded. “I should think so” she noted “He’s been working on it all morning. You know how he is when it comes to Christmas dinner” she added.

Maia shook her head, an amused smile playing at the corner of her lips, before Carolina leant across the table, positioning the bottle of wine above the glass which sat ahead of her. “Do you want a drink?” she posed.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised by the question, before she shook her head, something which caused Carolina to lift a curious eyebrow. “You’re not drinking?” she posed.

Maia shook her head. “I’m not” she mused “I had already promised Iker that I would drive us home” she lied.

Carolina offered her a slightly dubious look, but relented quickly, instead moving to pour her a glass of water.

Maia let out a quiet sigh of relief before Ella let out a small cry, something which made Maia shake her head. “I think someone is in need of a nappy change” she noted “I’ll be right back” she added before she pushed herself up to her feet, carrying Ella out of the room as Iker stepped into it.

Carolina watched her daughter out of the door before she lifted her head, offering Iker a pleasant grin. “Merry Christmas, Iker” she mused.

Iker, who’d moved to take his seat at the table, returned her smile softly. “Merry Christmas, Carolina” he noted.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” Carolina posed.

Iker nodded. “Your home is lovely” he complimented warmly “And it’s really good to see my parents. I should thank you for letting them stay here” he added.

Carolina shook her head. “You don’t have to thank us for that” she noted “There’s Ella’s grandparents too and they deserved to be here to share this day with her. It’s a pretty special one” she enthused.

Iker nodded his head in agreement. “It is” he agreed.

Carolina offered him another soft grin before she lifted the wine bottle, moving to pour him a drink. Iker, however, moved quicker, placing his hand over the top of his glass. “I’m not drinking” he quipped “Maia wants me to drive home so I promised I wouldn’t drink” he added.

Carolina stared at him for a second, allowing his words to pass through her head, before she placed a hand over her mouth, something which caused Iker’s eyes to widen. “What is with that look?” he posed.

“Maia...Maia lied” Carolina murmured “She said that she wasn’t drinking because she was driving home, but you just said that you were. That means that there’s another reason Maia’s not drinking. Iker?” she pressed.

Iker stared at her wide eyed for a second before he shook his head, something which made Carolina let out a small squeak. “Again?” she posed.

Iker nodded stiffly. “It’s early days” he murmured “And that means you can’t say a word. Not to Maia, and not to your husband. It’s early, Carolina, and for a while...”

“I understand” Carolina cut in “And I won’t say anything. You have my word” she insisted.

Iker merely offered her a look, something which made Carolina reach her hand out, lightly squeezing his in reassurance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)