Where We Are

55: We Made A Baby

Nervously adjusting the material of her sweater, Maia spared a subconscious glance down towards her phone, scanning it for the any sign of a message from Iker. It had been a few weeks, after he had popped the question, a little over a month had passed, and with Maia having reached the twelve week mark in her pregnancy, they had a scan scheduled for that morning, something which Iker was running late for. She wasn’t overly surprised, with his training schedule, the appointment time was always likely to provide them a minor problem, but still she was optimistic that he would make it, even if he was cutting it fine. She had no doubt that he would give everything he could to be there with her.

Lifting her phone into her lap, she scanned the empty home screen briefly before she caught a sight of her ring finger, something which caused a shy smile to appear on her lips. She wasn’t wearing the ring, with her and Iker keen to keep things between the two of them for a little while, she had opted not to, but still the idea of their engagement gave her butterflies, even if they hadn’t worked up the nerve to share the news. She still couldn’t quite believe that Iker had asked.

Lightly brushing her thumb over the back of her other finger, she smiled bashfully to herself before the sound of her name reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her eyes settling on her midwife who stepped towards her, a warm smile on her lips. “Are you by yourself?” Sydney posed.

“As far as I am aware, he’s on his way” Maia replied “But it was always going to be a close run thing, so he might be a little late” she added.

Sydney nodded her head. “We do need to get started” she mused “But we can try and stall a little. I remember how excited he was the last time you were here” she quipped as she moved to lead Maia towards an examination room.

Maia, who followed after the midwife, rolled her eyes playfully before she padded into the room, quickly sitting down on the side of the bed which sat in the corner of it.

“I’d like to do a couple of quick checks” Sydney mused “I’d like to check your blood pressure, and measure your bump just to make a note of its progress, but that should put the scan off for a little while, affording your boyfriend a little more time to make his appearance” she added, a fond smile on her lips.

Maia nodded her head before she gently extended her arm, allowing Sydney to wrap the blood pressure cuff around her arm. “Has the nausea started to wear off?” the midwife posed, watching the measurement.

“It’s not gone entirely” Maia noted “But it does seem to be less frequent, something I’m more than grateful for” she added.

Sydney offered her a slight smile. “It’s no fun” she mused “But you’ve been through it before. This is baby number two, no?” she posed, jotting the blood pressure reading down into Maia’s notes.

“It is” Maia confirmed “We’re already got a beautiful little girl” she enthused as she pulled her phone out of her pocket, showing the background off to Sydney. It was a cute picture, Ella was in the centre with both Maia and Iker pressing kisses to the side of her head, and it never failed to make Maia smile. She was more than a little proud of the family that she and Iker were making.

Sydney admired the picture briefly before the sound of the door swinging open reached her ears, causing her to lift head, offering a small smile towards Iker who padded into the room, a flustered expression on his face.

Maia followed the line of the midwife’s stare before she quirked a small smirk. “Decided to join us, did you?” she quipped.

Iker, who’d made his way towards her side, rolled his eyes playfully before he took a hold of her hand, offering it a soft squeeze. “I’m sorry I’m late” he murmured “I tried to get away as quickly as I could” he added, pressing a soft kiss against the back of her hand.

Maia smiled a little at the feel of his lips against her skin before she gently squeezed his hand. “It’s OK” she mused softly.

“Have I missed anything?” Iker asked.

“Not at all” Sydney mused “I’ve checked Maia’s blood pressure, and that’s looking good, and all of her other tests are looking promising. Things seem to be progressing very well” she enthused brightly, her hands lightly ushering Maia’s shirt away from her stomach. Offering the brunette a light smile, she moved to smear a little gel over Maia’s small bump before lifted up the scanner, carefully rubbing it over her skin.

Maia shifted uncomfortably under the scanner before the soft thumping of the baby’s heartbeat filled the air, something which caused her to still slightly, a familiar lump in her throat. “Iker” she squeaked.

Iker, who was keenly staring at the screen, smiled a little at the awe in her voice before he lifted her hand, pressing a warm kiss against her skin. “You Ok?” he asked quietly.

Maia nodded her head. “It’s pretty amazing, no?” she posed, her voice soft.

Iker quirked a small smile, admiring the awe in her voice, before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her temple. “It’s spectacular, Maia” he murmured tenderly.

Maia’s cheeks flushed at the feel of his lips against her temple, but she didn’t say anything, instead opting to stare at the screen in awe. It was only small, the image of the baby was only just distinguishable, but still Maia couldn’t help but grin at it, something which Iker mirrored. He was still in awe, the idea that Maia was carrying their second baby was one which still felt unfamiliar to him, but he was excited, even if they still had a way to go. He couldn’t wait to meet their newest family member.

Sydney admired the two of them for a moment before she cleared her throat, offering the couple a light smile. “I’ll be back in a couple of minutes with copies. How many do you want?” she asked.

“Three” Iker replied simply, not moving his stare away from the screen.

Sydney grinned at the couple before she ducked out of the room, leaving the two of them alone.

Maia lifted her head at the sound of the door closing before she shifted across the bed slightly, making room at her side which Iker was quick to fill, his hand resting against the skin of her stomach which had been left exposed. Quirking a gentle smile, he lightly brushed his thumb over her stomach, but didn’t utter a word, something which made Maia let out a soft laugh. “You’ve got nothing to say?” she posed.

“That’s a surprise?” Iker quipped, not shifting his stare from her stomach.

Maia nodded. “You’ve always got something to say” she pointed out.

Iker shrugged. “I’m a little speechless” he murmured “I mean, I know this isn’t the first scan I’ve been too, but it’s still pretty awing. We made a baby, Maia” he added, his voice slightly sheepish.

Maia quirked a grin, briefly contemplating offering him a slightly sarcastic reply, before she leant over, pressing a tender kiss against his lips. “We made a baby, Iker” she repeated warmly.

Iker let out a sheepish laugh before the sound of his phone filled the air, causing him to let out a small groan as he pulled it out of his pocket, his eyes quickly recognizing his mother’s number on the screen. “I don’t have to answer this right now, do I?” he posed.

Maia shook her head. “Of course not” she noted “But you will have to call them later. Your madre knows that we’ve had an appointment” she added.

“She does?” Iker quipped, slipping the phone back into his pocket.

“She called the other day” Maia replied “Was I supposed to lie to her?” she added.

Iker simply offered her a non-committal shrug, something which made Maia scoff before she reached out, offering him a playful shove. “She’s your madre” she pointed out as she pushed her sweater down, covering her stomach.

Iker nodded. “I will video call her later” he noted “We can show her the baby scan and maybe we can mention a certain something else that we’ve been keeping to ourselves” he added, a slightly suggestive look on his face.

Maia lifted an eyebrow. “You want to share the news?” she posed.

“It’s been a month” Iker pointed out “I think we’re both pretty used to it and pretty excited. I don’t see the harm, but if you do...” he trailed off.

Maia shook her head. “They’re going to be so excited” she noted.

“They are” Iker agreed “But it’s a good thing, Maia, and we should share it with the people we care about. Besides, I kind of like it when you wear that ring I bought for you” he added, his finger lightly tracing the spot where her engagement ring should have sat.

Maia watched the small movement of his finger before she nodded. “We should tell them” she agreed softly.

Iker nodded. “We’ll tell your parents when we get home” he noted “And we can call mine tonight. Does that sound like a plan?” he asked.

Maia merely offered him another nod, something which caused Iker to lean over, pressing a soft kiss against temple. Things were progressing for them, with their engagement and Maia’s pregnancy, things seemed to be moving forwards, and it pleased the keeper. They had come a long way from the moment that they had broken up the first time around.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)