Where We Are

58: For Now

Sneaking a quick glance towards the time on his phone, Iker let out a small sigh, his dark eyes drifting towards his agent who sat on the other side of the desk, thumbing through the papers which sat on the desk’s surface. He knew that there was no avoiding it, with his contract with Porto due to run out in a matter of months, the meeting with his agent was a necessary one, but still Iker was itching to get out of it, more than a little keen to get to the hospital in time for Maia’s twenty week scan. It was something he had been looking forwards to, the latest chance to see their baby was a moment that Iker had been eagerly awaiting, and he didn’t want to run the risk of missing it, even if he was sure that Maia would be more than happy to fill him in. He wanted to be there when they discovered the sex of their baby.

Shifting a little in his seat, he spared another look across the desk before he let out a quiet sigh, something which caused the agent to lift his head, a slight smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth. “Am I keeping you from something?” he posed amusedly.

Iker offered him a small glare. “You know that Maia has an appointment” he noted “That’s why I asked to meet early, so that I had time to get there. Is it going to take much longer?” he posed, flicking his stare down towards the paper work.

The agent followed the line of his stare before he shook his head. “It seems to be pretty much in order” he noted “They’ve offered you a year-long extension, which is pretty much what we were expecting, and the rest of the paper work matches up too, meaning that we can sign it and return it to the club” he explained.

Iker nodded. “That’s it?” he posed.

“For now” the agent confirmed “But we will need to be having a conversation later in the year. The club are happy for you to sign on for the coming season, but after that, they’re keen to look at new options and that’s something we need to explore too” he explained.

Iker paused for a moment, something which made the agent chuckle lightly before he shook his head, patting the keeper’s shoulder reassuringly. “It’s not something you need to be worrying about right now” he noted “You’ve still got a season to finish, and one more to play for Porto, but it is a conversation that you need to have with me, and more importantly, one you’re going to have to have with Maia” he added, a reassuring grin on his face. He could see that the keeper was unsettled, the slight frown which had appeared at the corner of his mouth was a giveaway, and he wanted to reassure him slightly, even if it wasn’t a topic that they could avoid forever. It wasn’t one that they needed to be discussing at any point in the near future.

Iker spared him a small look before he nodded his head quietly, something which caused the other man to offer his shoulder another reassuring pat. “I’ll be in touch” he noted “But right now, don’t you have somewhere else you need to be?” he posed, sparing a playful look down towards his watch.

Iker followed his stare, briefly checking the time on his watch, before he nodded his head. “I do have to get going” he noted “I’ll speak to you soon?” he posed as he pushed himself up to his feet.

The agent simply nodded his head, something which Iker took as his cue to leave. Pulling his jacket around his shoulders, he made his way towards the door before he stepped out of it, trying to ignore the slight lump which had appeared in his throat. He had known that it would come, eventually, there was going to be a point that he had to give his future more of a thought, but he didn’t want it to arrive anytime soon. They were settled, things between him and Maia were at their most comfortable and happy, and he didn’t want to rock the boat, even if it wasn’t something they could just avoid mentioning. He didn’t want to upset things when they seemed to be going so well.

~#~
“You’re late”

Iker, who’d stepped into the hospital room, lifted his head at the sound of Maia’s voice before he quirked a small smile, his stare landing immediately on her bump which had been exposed by the shirt which had been moved up towards her chest. He knew that he was cutting it fine, with his meeting have overrun slightly, it had been more of a rush than he would have liked to get the hospital, but he was pleased that he had made it, even if he was a little later. The last thing he had wanted was to miss out on the scan. “I’m always late” he pointed out, quickly sitting down at her side.

“I know you are” Maia noted “But would it hurt for you to show up on time?” she posed, an impish smile on her lips.

Iker shrugged. “Where’s the fun in that?” he played along.

Maia let out a soft giggle before she leant upwards, pressing a quick kiss against his lips before Sydney stepped into the room, a warm smile on her lips. “You made it, Iker” she greeted warmly.

Iker, who’d moved to pull away from Maia, nodded, returning her smile politely. “Of course” he noted “Have I missed anything?” he asked.

Sydney shook her head. “I’ve completed my usual checks” she mused “And Maia seems to be doing remarkably well. I was just about to start the ultrasound. Have you two decided whether or not you want to know the sex?” she posed, moving to smooth a little gel of Maia’s stomach.

Maia shared a quick look with Iker who was quick to nod, offering her a reassuring grin. “If we can find out, we’d like to know” she mused.

Sydney nodded. “Did you find out first time around?” she posed, gently tracing scanner over Maia’s bump.

“We did” Maia confirmed “We’re not the most patient people” she added impishly.

Sydney smiled warmly before she tapped the screen, pulling Iker and Maia’s attention towards. “Baba’s looking good” she enthused brightly.

Iker, who’d been quick to divert his stare towards the screen, smiled at the midwife’s reassuring words before he dropped his hand, entwining it with Maia’s which fiddled nervously with the blanket which covered the bed. Offering her hand a light squeeze, he admired the image which filled the screen for a few seconds before he flicked attention towards Sydney, not missing the grin she wore. “You know?” he asked.

Sydney nodded. “I do” she confirmed “You two are you sure that you don’t want to wait? The surprise is pretty spectacular” she added.

“We’re sure” Maia noted.

Sydney nodded her head. “In that case, I am happy to inform you that you are going to give your daughter a little brother. You’re having a son” she enthused, a warm grin on her features.

Iker, who’d moved his attention back towards the screen, stilled at her words briefly before he lifted his head. “Son?” he breathed “It’s...a boy?” he posed.

Sydney nodded. “It is” she confirmed “Congratulations” she added before she ducked out of the room, leaving the couple alone.

Iker watched her out of the room before he turned his attention back towards Maia, not missing the slightly watery smile which had appeared on her face. “Are those tears?” he poked, his voice caught between awed and teasing.

Maia scoffed before she lifted her hand, wiping her eyes slightly. “No” she lied.

Iker chuckled softly before he reached his hand out, replacing hers as he traced a thumb under her eyes. “It’s a boy” he mused softly, breaking the silence which had settled over the two of them.

Maia quirked a small smile. “It’s a boy” she mused.

“You wanted a boy?” Iker asked as he pushed himself up, settling down on the bed at her side.

Maia shifted over slightly, making room for him, before she shrugged. “I’d have been happy either way” she mused “But we do already have a daughter” she pointed out as she turned over slightly, cuddling into his side.

Iker nodded his head gently before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. It was still on his mind, his conversation with his agent, but he didn’t want to focus on it, not wanting to ruin the moment. It was something they needed to talk about, what happened next for them was a conversation that they needed to have, but it could hold for a little while. For a while, Iker simply wanted to focus on getting ready for the arrival of their little boy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)