Where We Are

61: Again

Shifting his weight slightly, Iker let out a small groan, not missing the knot which had appeared in the lower part of his back. It wasn’t the first time, with Maia’s due date having already been and gone, the brunette was far from comfortable, and in an attempt to make her more so, Iker had taken to sleeping on the couch, something he regretted. He knew that she was uncomfortable, with it having been almost a week since their son was due to make his first appearance, he knew that she was growing increasingly uncomfortable and frustrated, and Iker wanted to help out as much as he could, even if it did mean a few less than comfortable nights on the couch. He simply wanted to make sure that Maia was a content as she could be.

Turning over onto his side, he rubbed at the knot in his back for a few seconds before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to frown slightly before he pushed himself up, his dark eyes settling on Maia who’d stepped into the dark living room. Blinking a couple of times, he moved to flick on the lamp before he tilted his head, not missing the slight frown which pulled at the corner of her mouth. “Maia?” he breathed “Is everything alright?” he added, stifling a yawn into his hand.

Maia smiled a little, admiring the sleepy expression which marked his face, before she gently shifted her hand, resting it against the front of her shirt. “I thought I had better come through and wake you” she noted “I think my contractions might have started” she added.

Iker, who’d been trying to wake himself up a little more, stilled at the sound of her words before he lifted his head, sparing her a look. “You think?” he posed, his voice caught between teasing and curious.

Maia, who’d padded a little further into the room, shrugged. “They’re not too bad” she noted “And they’re pretty infrequent right now, but I’m pretty sure. It’s not exactly my first time” she added, offering him an impish smile as she sat down beside him.

Iker rolled his eyes playfully before he sat back slightly, resting his head against the back of his couch. “How long between them?” he posed.

“Still about twenty minutes” Maia noted “But they’re starting to get closer so I thought I’d come through and make sure that you’re awake, just in case things do start to move quicker” she added, gently moving to rest her head against his shoulder as a soft yawn tumbled out of her mouth.

Iker marveled at the soft yawn for a second before he gently leant down, pressing a soft kiss against her temple. “You need anything?” he asked.

“Can you sit here with me?” Maia replied “I mean, I know it is early, and that you’d rather get some sleep, but....”

“I’ve got a blanket” Iker interrupted “Why don’t we use it?” he added, gently tugging the blanket up over them.

Maia blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by his sweet interruption, before she shook her head, a warm smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Have I told you recently that I am crazy about you?” she posed, cuddling into his side a little more.

Iker merely smiled at her words before he bent down, kissing the top of her head gently once more.

~#~
Letting out a quiet groan, Iker stretched his legs out ahead of him, attempting to loosen his tight muscles slightly. It hadn’t been his intention, when Maia had disturbed him in the middle of the night to hell him that she thought that she was in labour, he had intended to stay awake, wanting to keep an eye on her, but when Maia had started to snore softly at his side, he hadn’t been able to help himself, even if the way they were sat was uncomfortable. He hadn’t been able to stop himself drifting off for a couple of hours.

Allowing a yawn to fall out of his mouth, he attempted to wake himself up slightly before the sound of a small squeal reached his ears, causing him to lift his head swiftly, his dark eyes immediately settling on Maia who stood a little away from him, a surprised look on her face. “Are you alright?” he asked, his voice more than slightly urgent.

Maia, who was silently timing the length of her contraction, startled slightly at the sound of his voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small nod. “I’m fine” she noted “They’re just a lot closer now” she added, rubbing her stomach.

Iker tilted his head. “Your waters?” he asked.

“Not yet” Maia replied “But I am pretty sure that they’ll break soon. I’ve already put the bags beside the door and I’ve called my mother. She’s on her way here to sit with Ella and she should be here in the next half an hour, and once she is here...”

“I will take you to the hospital” Iker finished for her “And we’ll have our little boy” he added, a warm smile on his lips.

Maia marveled at his smile briefly before she stepped towards him, encouraging Iker to wrap her in a soft hug. Settling his arms around her waist, he offered her a tentative squeeze before he leant down, kissing her head softly as he mumbled soft and reassuring words into her ear, a sound which made Maia cuddle into him slightly more.

~#~
“Do you need me to call anyone for you?”

Iker, who was staring down at the little bundle which sat in his arms, startled slightly at the sound of Sydney’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small smile as he shook his head. It had been quick, almost as soon as he had steered Maia into the maternity ward, they’d been rushed into a delivery room, and it relieved Iker, who, for the majority of the trip to the hospital, had been worried that they’d left it too late to make it in time. “I’ll handle it myself” he noted.

“Is there anything else I can do?” Sydney posed helpfully.

Iker shook his head. “I think we’re OK right now” he mused “But thank you” he added, a sincere smile on his face.

Sydney returned his smile warmly before she shook her head. “Congratulations, Iker” she mused “You and Maia have got a very handsome baby” she added warmly before she ducked out of the room, musing about coming back later to check on Maia.

Iker watched the midwife out of the door for a brief second before the baby let out a small snuffle in his sleep, something which made Iker smile fondly before he readjusted his arms, allowing the little boy to get himself comfortable.

“You’re smiling again”

Iker, who’d moved to readjust the blanket which covered the baby, rolled his eyes at Maia’s comment. “Does that upset you?” he countered.

Maia, who’d turned over onto her side, grinned up at him before she shook her head. “Not at all” she noted “I like your smile” she added.

Iker’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before he shook his head, diverting his stare back down towards the baby who stirred in his arms, a soft sound falling out of his mouth. “I can’t quite believe that he’s here” he murmured, breaking the momentary silence which had settled between them.

Maia, who’d been happily watching them together, smiled at the softness in voice before she gently leant towards him, lightly brushing her hand over his.

Iker watched the gentle movement of her hand for a second before he shifted his, knotting their fingers together before he offered her a small smile, one which Maia was quick to return. “We’ve got a son, Iker” she mused, her voice soft and awed.

Iker simply breathed out a small laugh in response, something which made Maia’s smile widen, sure that it would be a while before those words stopped sounding so new to them
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)