Where We Are

62: He Looks Like You

Gently allowing the door to close behind him, Iker let out a sigh of relief, his feet dragging him towards the chair which was set up beside Maia’s bed. It had been a few hours, after their son had put in his first appearance, Iker had been quick to duck out of the room to call both his parents and Maia’s, but he was relieved to be back, even if he hadn’t strayed far from the door which led into Maia’s hospital room. He was merely glad to be back with her and their little boy. It was a surreal feeling, the idea that he and Maia had welcomed their second baby into the world was one which still seemed slightly unbelievable to the keeper, but he doubted that he could have been happier, even if Maia’s second pregnancy had been as much of a surprise as her first. He loved the idea that their little family had grown.

Sparing a quiet yawn into his hand, he moved to settle his phone down on the cabinet which sat beside the bed before he rested back into the chair slightly, squeezing his eyes closed.

“Was it that bad?”

Iker, who’d been enjoying the quiet of the room, flinched at the sudden sound of Maia’s voice before he lifted his head, meeting the stare of her blue eyes which peeked up at him. “Huh?” he spluttered.

Maia, who was still cuddled up against her pillow, smiled a little at the surprised look on his face before she shook her head. “Was calling our parents as bad as your face makes out?” she rephrased “Or are you just being dramatic?” she added impishly as she shuffled over in the bed slightly, making a space for him at her side.

Iker smiled at her joke before he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to settle down into the space that she had made for him. “I’ve spent the last forty five minutes on the phone with your cooing mother” he pointed out “Can’t you just cut me a little slack?” he added, poking her side carefully.

Maia let out a small giggle at the feel of his finger before she shook her head. “You didn’t have to do that” she noted “I would have called her after my nap” she added as she shifted a little closer to him, resting her head comfortably against his chest.

“I don’t doubt it” Iker mused as he reached his hand out, gently tucking a few loose hairs behind her ear “But my phone has been busy all morning and I figured I should put her out of her misery. I think if we’d left it much longer, she would have shown up here” he added with a small laugh.

Maia rolled her eyes. “She’s that excited?” she asked.

“She’s allowed to be” Iker quipped “She’s an abuela again. My mother was just as bad when I called her” he added.

Maia offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made Iker chuckle warmly before he leant over, kissing the top of her head softly.

Maia smiled at the small amorous action, cuddling into his body for a moment, before the sound of the baby’s stirring filled the air, causing her to pull back slightly. Smiling gently, she admired the soft sounds that the newborn made for a few seconds before she gently turned onto her side, her blue eyes settling on the little boy who laid in his crib, his tiny nose wrinkling as he stirred in his sleep.

“He’s adorable, isn’t he?”

Maia, who’d been quietly watching the baby as he slept, smiled a little at the sound of Iker’s voice before she nodded her head, her blue eyes settling on his hand which had settled on his stomach, gently ducking beneath the material of her pajama shirt. “He is” she agreed “But I am not surprised. He looks like you” she added warmly.

Iker, who laid behind her, scoffed. “Is that your way of saying I am cute, Maia?” he asked playfully.

Maia shrugged. “You’re not bad” she quipped teasingly.

Iker rolled his eyes playfully before he leant forwards, lightly pressing a kiss against the back of her neck. “Have you given any thought to what you want to call him?” he asked “I mean, I know we’re in no hurry, but I’d like to have an idea. I don’t think our parents are going to settle for ‘we’re thinking about it’” he added.

Maia snorted, biting back a sharp comment, before she gently shrugged her shoulders, her stare not moving away from the baby who let out another small sleepy sound. “I still like Charlie” she mused “But Benjamin is cute too, as is Marco. Do you have a preference?” she asked. It was a conversation that they had had a lot, since they’d first broached the topic of names, they’d discussed it more than once, but still they were no closer to deciding, even if they had narrowed their list down slightly.

Iker, who’d been happily tracing circles into her stomach, smirked slightly. “You know I do” he noted “That’s why we’ve not picked one. You like Charlie and I like Benjamin” he pointed out.

Maia scoffed. “You’re not helping” she quipped, her voice warm and playfully.

Iker let out a small laugh before he dipped forwards, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “Charlie” he murmured.

Maia tilted her head, looking at him over her shoulder. “What?” she posed.

Iker offered her a boyish smile. “I like Charlie” he mused “Charlie Benjamin Casillas Varela” he added.

Maia shook her head. “Iker...”

“I like the name, Maia” Iker interrupted, knowing what was going to come out of her mouth “If I didn’t, I would have vetoed it when you first suggested it. I like Charlie, Maia, and if it’s the name you’re happiest with, then let’s choose it” he added, his voice warm, but still insistent.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised that he had interrupted her, before she shook her head. “Are you sure?” she asked.

“Certain” Iker replied, offering her warm grin.

Maia offered him a slightly hesitant look before Charlie let out a soft sound, something which pulled her attention down towards him. Gently reaching her hand forwards, she lightly pushed it through the fine hair which sat on the top of the baby’s head before she shook her head, peeking up at Iker over her shoulder. “Charlie Casillas Varela” she murmured.

“I love it” Iker mused “And I love you. You’re pretty amazing, Maia, you know that?” he posed, offering her waist a soft squeeze.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink at the compliment before she craned her neck a little more, allowing Iker to press their lips together. He knew that it was going to take some getting used to, with both Charlie and Ella around, things were likely to be up in the air for a while, but it was something that Iker was looking forwards to, more than sure that he and Maia could cope with whatever was thrown at them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)