Where We Are

68: Everyone Has

“So, how is Iker liking Italy?”

Maia, who was changing Charlie’s nappy, looked up at the sound of Alex’s voice before she shrugged her shoulders, a small sigh tumbling out of her mouth. It hadn’t been long, after Iker had departed for Florence, a little over a week had passed, but already Maia missed him, even if she had tried to keep herself busy in order to keep herself distracted. She had grown to miss his presence around their home. It was quiet, when the children were asleep, the apartment was too quiet for her liking, and it irked Maia, even if it wasn’t the first time that she and Iker had spent a prolonged period of time apart. She already disliked the idea that they were still over a month away from being in the same room once more.

“He’s not seen much of the city yet” she mused “He’s been pretty busy sorting things out for the transfer, but he seems to be doing OK. He’s got his presentation later” she added as she finished changing Charlie’s nappy.

Alex, who was sat on the couch behind her, nodded. “Is he looking forwards to it?” she posed, taking a sip from the mug of tea she held in her hands.

Maia, who’d moved to settle Charlie down into his Moses basket, shrugged before she plopped down onto the couch, happily lifting her own mug of tea up off of the coffee table. “As much as he can be” she replied “I mean, I think he’s still a little upset over the fact that things changed like they did, but he seems to be doing Ok. At least, that’s how he appears whenever I speak to him” she explained, gently tucking her hair behind her ear.

Alex noticed the familiar nervous habit before she shook her head, her foot lightly nudging Maia’s. “Are you doing OK?” she asked.

“Alex...”

“It’s been a while, Maia” Alex interjected “I mean, I can’t recall a time since you’ve known about Ella, that you and Iker have been apart for more than a few days, and I just want to check in. It’s Ok to miss him, Maia, it’d be strange if you didn’t. So I will ask again, are you doing alright?” she posed, her voice softening slightly. She knew that Maia missed him, since she had arrived at Maia’s apartment that morning, the brunette hadn’t quite been herself, and Alex wanted to offer her the chance to talk, even if there was very little she could do to make her feel better. She wanted to offer her friend a little comfort.

Maia, who’d moved to drum her fingers against the side of her mug, chewed on her lip quietly before she shook her head, a small scoff falling out of her mouth. “It’s a little pathetic, isn’t it?” she posed, an ironic smile on her lips “I mean, I used to go away for weeks at a time and I’d be fine, and now I am all mopey after a week? It’s stupid, no?” she added, her eyes settling on her fingers which tapped against the side of her mug.

Alex scoffed amusedly before she shook her head. “It’s not stupid, Maia” she quipped “You’re just very much in love. If anything, it’s cute” she added.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink, something which made Alex giggle gently before she reached her foot out, gently nudging Maia’s. “You like him being here, Maia” she noted “And I know you liked it before, but things aren’t the same anymore. You’re in a pretty serious relationship now, in case you haven’t noticed” she teased.

It wasn’t often they talked, with Maia having Ella and Charlie, and Alex very much focused on her relationship with Will, they’d drifted apart slightly, but still Alex wanted to show that she was there for Maia, even if things had changed between them. She wanted her friend to know that she was there if she needed her.

Maia scoffed playfully. “You know what, I hadn’t noticed” she quipped, subconsciously messing with the engagement ring which sat on her finger.

Alex watched her shy movement for a second before she reached out for Maia’s hand, allowing her to study the ring closely. “I still can’t believe that he actually asked you” she mumbled after a few seconds of quiet.

“Me either” Maia quipped “I mean, it’s been months, and I still can’t quite fathom that this is actually mine” she added as she brushed a finger over the ring, a small smile appearing at the corner of her mouth.

Alex admired the smile on Maia’s lips before she shook her head, a small grin of her own appearing on her lips. “Have you two talked about it much?” she posed.

Maia lifted an eyebrow. “About what?” she posed “About getting married?” she added.

Alex laughed before she nodded. “You are going to do it eventually, right?” she posed teasingly.

Maia nodded. “Of course we are” she noted “But things are pretty hectic right now. We’ve just had Charlie, we’re in the middle of moving to another country, and it’s not exactly left us a lot of time to sit down and start picking dates or venues. I’d love to think about it, but the timing isn’t right, right now” she explained gently.

It was something that she wanted to think about, the idea of planning a wedding was one which was a little tantalizing, but she knew that the time wasn’t right. Things were busy for them, between the move and adjusting to having a newborn baby around, it was hectic, and Maia didn’t want to pile things up. The last thing she wanted was to put herself or Iker under any more stress than was necessary.

Alex mulled her words over for a moment before she quirked a small smile. “I get that” she noted “And I don’t want you to think I was trying to be pushy. I know you and Iker, you’ll do things your own way in your own time, but I am excited for you. The last couple of years, they’ve been amazing for you, Maia, and I am happy that things have worked out so well for you. It doesn’t seem like that long ago that we were sat in an Italian hotel room whilst you cried over a pregnancy test” she added jovially.

Maia rolled her eyes, a playful smile on her lips. “That wasn’t my finest moment” she mumbled.

“It wasn’t” Alex played along “But you can’t say that it didn’t work out. You composed yourself, you got up your nerve to talk to Iker, and you’ve not looked back since” she added warmly.

“We’ve had our moments” Maia mumbled, pushing her hair behind her ear.

“Everyone has” Alex noted “But you and Iker? You’re great together, Maia, and I don’t say that lightly. I like him, Maia, and I like you when you’re with him. He’s the best thing that could have happened to you, and that’s the highest compliment that I can give to the guy” she enthused warmly.

Maia’s cheeks warmed slightly before she opened her mouth to reply, only to be cut off by the sound of her phone vibrating in her pocket. Shaking her head, she moved to slip the phone out of her pocket before she lifted her head, offering Alex a slightly apologetic glance.

Alex let out a laugh. “His ears must be burning” she joked.

“Probably” Maia quipped “But I should take this. Do you mind waiting for a little while before we order dinner?” she posed.

Alex shook her head. “How could I deprive you of a lovey dovey phone call with your boyfriend?” she teased.

Maia offered her a glare before she pressed the phone to her ear, mumbling a quiet ‘hey you’ as she stepped out of the room. Alex watched her away before she shook her head, quietly marveling at how far Maia and Iker had come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)