Where We Are

06: As Much Yours as Mine

“Can I get you anything?” Iker posed as he knocked the door closed behind Maia. It had been a little while, after Maia had initially told him about the pregnancy, he had opted to take a few days to attempt to wrap his head around the idea that he was only a few months away from becoming a father, but he knew that they had to talk again, even if things between them were slightly awkward. He knew that they had a lot to figure out before the baby put in his or her first appearance.

Maia, who’d moved to slip her feet out of the pair of boots she was wearing, lifted her head at the sound of his voice before she shook it, offering him a light smile. “I’m alright” she quipped “I ate before came out, so you don’t have to keep fussing” she added, her voice shy, but still teasing and warm.

Iker rolled his eyes, slightly amused by her joke, before he shook his head. “I think I am probably allowed to fuss a little” he noted “I mean, you’re eating for two now” he added, sparing a quick glance down towards the front of her shirt.

It still felt unfamiliar to him, the idea that Maia was pregnant was still one that hadn’t quite settled in, but he had to admit that he was excited. It had come out of the blue, after he and Maia had broken up, he had expected that that would be that, but whilst he was surprised by the news of her pregnancy, he was also thrilled, already counting down the days until the new addition put in his or her first appearance.

He had wanted it, when he and Maia had been together, his mind had wandered more than once to the idea of the two of them starting a family, and whilst he had little doubt that things would be strange between them for a while, he was confident that they could make something function between them, even if it was simply a slightly awkward friendship. He was sure that he and Maia could figure something out.

Maia followed the line of his stare, peeking down at her stomach briefly, before she gently stepped towards him. “You wanted to talk?” she posed softly.

Iker, who’d been scanning her shirt for any sign of the small bump she carried, looked up at the sound of her voice before he nodded, his dark eyes scanning her blues. “I’d like to” he noted “I mean, think we’ve got a lot of things to talk about, but if you’d like a little more time, we can probably arrange that. I don’t want to stress you out or anything” he fussed, trying to ignore the close proximity between them.

Maia’s lips quirked up at the corner, slightly amused by his fussing, before she shook her head. “I think we’re OK” she noted “You don’t stress me out that much” she teased awkwardly.

Iker offered her a hesitant look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded. “If you’re sure” he noted “Why don’t you go and sit down in the living room? I’m going to grab myself a bottle of water and I’ll be right with you. Are you certain that you don’t want anything?” he added.

Maia let out a small shy laugh before she shook her head. “I’m perfectly fine” she insisted.

Iker spared her another questioning look, something which caused Maia to lean towards him, nudging his shoulder gently. “I’m fine” she insisted.

Iker let out a small laugh before he stuck his hands up, playfully backing away towards the kitchen. “I’ll be right with you” he repeated.

Maia watched him duck out of the room before she padded towards the living room, settling comfortably down onto the couch before she pulled her phone out of her pocket, rolling her eyes at the text from Alex which filled the screen. Scanning the message quickly, she moved to compose a reply before she felt the couch shift, causing her to look up, her blue eyes settling on Iker who had sat down beside her, a slightly curious look on his face.

“Everything OK?” he asked curiously.

Maia nodded. “It’s just Alex” she quipped “You know how she can be” she added, stowing the phone back into her pocket.

“Pushy?” Iker quipped, a familiar boyish smile on his face.

Maia spared him a playful scowl before shook her head. “You wanted to talk?” she posed, switching the subject.

Iker briefly contemplated making another comment before he nodded his head. “I did” he noted “How are you feeling?” he posed, his voice softening slightly.

Maia shrugged. “I’m alright” she noted “I mean, I still get a few nauseous days here and there, and there are a couple of other things that are starting to bother me, but it’s nothing I can’t handle. I will, however, need to go shopping for maternity clothes before too much longer” she added, lightly passing her hand over her stomach.

Iker admired the movement of her hand before he shook his head, a reassuring smile on his face. “You’re hardly showing” he noted “I mean, I’ve not even really seen a bump yet” he added.

Maia offered him a look before she carefully set her hand at the bottom of her shirt, lifting it up just enough to show off the small bump that she carried. Iker blinked a couple of times, surprised by her action, before he dropped his stare, quietly studying the small bump. It was tiny, if Iker hadn’t of known that Maia was pregnant, the small bump on her stomach wouldn’t have given it away, but still he was awed by it. It might have been small, but it was their bump.

“Did you have something specific that you wanted to talk about?” Maia posed quietly, not wanting to disturb the comfortable quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Iker didn’t move his stare away from her stomach. “My parents” he noted “I’d like to tell them before you get too far along and I wanted to make sure that you’re OK with that. Have you told many people?” he posed.

“Alex knows” Maia replied “But only because I needed moral support when I took the tests, and my mother knows. She guessed within days of me finding out and told my father before I even had the chance to deny it. But other than that, I’ve not told anyone else. You want to talk to your parents?” she posed.

Iker, who was still staring at her stomach, nodded. “It’s their grandchild” he noted “And I’d like them to hear the news from us. Is that Ok?” he asked.

Maia shook her head. “You don’t have to ask” she noted “They’re your parents, baba’s grandparents, and if you want to tell them, then go for it. You don’t need my permission for that” she added.

Iker, who’d shifted slightly to get a better view of her bump, nodded. “I figured you’d say that” he noted “But I just wanted to be sure. I don’t want to overstep, Maia” he added.

Maia offered him a soft look before she carefully reached her hand out, taking a hold of his before she lightly pressed it against her stomach. “This is ours” she murmured “As much yours as mine” she added, carefully pulling her hand back from his.

Iker watched her pull her hand back before he carefully shifted his hand, settling his palm flat against her stomach as his thumb traced a soothing line over the skin. “I think you’re going to look beautiful when you have a proper bump” he mused softly, breaking the quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Maia, who’d been contently watching his thumb, blushed softly. “You’re just saying that” she countered, a shy smile on her face.

Iker shook his head. “You’re beautiful, Maia, and with a bump, I’m sure it will only increase” he fussed before he carefully ducked his head, lingering a couple of his inches away from her stomach. “Is this OK?” he posed, offering her a cautious look.

Maia hesitated for a split second before she nodded, offering him a small smile. “It’s fine” she noted.

Iker returned her smile briefly before he closed the gap between himself and the bump, pressing a soft kiss against the warm skin, something which caused Maia’s stomach to flip. It had been a while since Iker had kissed her and just the feel of his lips against her stomach was enough to stir a few butterflies. Swallowing a little, she watched him place a couple more light kisses against her stomach before she shook her head. “Iker?” she posed.

Iker sat up at the sound of his name. “You OK?” he posed, his brown eyes meeting her blues.

Maia held his stare, briefly contemplating the idea of bringing up the topic of their relationship, before she shook her head, offering him a feeble smile. “I...I just changed my mind about wanting something to eat” she babbled “Would you mind getting me something?” she asked.

Iker quirked a small amused smile. “I thought you said you were fine?” he teased as he pushed himself to his feet “I’ll be right back” he added, ducking out of the room.

Maia stared after him before she rested her had back against the couch, wordlessly ruing not saying anything. She wanted to talk about it, she wanted to figure out if there was any chance for them or if they were over for good, but she couldn’t force the words out of the mouth. It wasn’t straightforward, their relationship was complicated, and whilst it was something she wanted to get figured out, a small part of her wanted Iker to be the one who brought it up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo, Twisted;;Symphony and mslou1 for the comments :)