Where We Are

70: It’s A Thought I Don’t Like

“Have you packed anything yet?”

Maia, who was sat in the middle of her bed, rolled her eyes at the sound of her father’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a slightly sarcastic smile. It had been a while, since Iker had departed for Italy, almost a month had passed, and with the date of her departure getting closer, Maia had started to pack up her things, something which had led to her putting in a call to her parents and Alex, wanting a little help when it came to packing her apartment. It was a slightly strange thought, the idea of packing up her things and shipping them abroad was one which had yet to settle in with her, but she was excited to get started, even if she was a little wary about the idea of leaving Porto. Part of her couldn’t wait to make it to Florence and to Iker who she had grown to miss more and more as the weeks had passed.

“I’ve made a start” she quipped “But it’s a slow work in progress. How is it going in the living room?” she posed, moving to place a neatly bubble wrapped photograph into the box which was stood beside the bed.

Hector, who was stood in the doorway, snorted. “It’s going” he quipped.

“What does that mean?” Maia posed, a slightly amused smile on her lips.

Hector returned her smile brightly before he took a few paces into the room, moving to perch on the edge of the bed. “Your mother keeps getting distracted by Ella” he noted “Every time I put something into a box, your daughter toddles over and takes it out again, something which keeps making your mother laugh. It’s like taking a step forwards, only to take two steps backwards” he explained warmly as he reached out, lifting another photograph off of the bed before he wrapped it in bubble wrap.

Maia shook her head. “That doesn’t surprise me” she mused.

Hector simply offered her another small smile before he leant down, placing the wrapped picture down into the box which sat beside the bed. “Have you spoken to Iker today?” he posed, breaking the silence which had settled over him and his daughter.

Maia, who’d pushed herself up to her feet, lifted an eyebrow. “Are you missing him, papa?” she quipped teasingly.

Hector rolled his eyes. “I’ve grown pretty used to the two of you being attached at the hip” he noted “And it is still a little odd, his not being here, but I just wanted to check in. You two have been apart for almost a month now and I want to see how you’re doing” he added, his voice softening slightly. It wasn’t a subject that he tended to broach, for a long time, it had appeared that Maia was more content to talk about her relationships with her mother rather than him, but Hector wanted to check in on her, even if he was sure that there was no problem. He wanted to make sure that his daughter was happy.

Maia tilted her head. “Are you worried, papa?” she posed,

Hector breathed out a laugh. “I’m always worrying about you, Maia” he noted “I’m your papa, it’s my job” he added with an affectionate smile.

Maia returned his smile shyly before she retook her seat on the bed, her fingertips timidly tucking her dark hair behind her ear. “It’s not been easy” she admitted “I’ve lost count of the amount of times that he and I have called one another just because we’re missing each other, but as a couple, we’re fine, papa. We’re still as good as ever” she enthused.

“You sure?” Hector asked.

Maia nodded. “We’re good, papa” she enthused “Really good” she added.

Hector offered her a slightly dubious look before he let out a soft sigh. “I just wanted to make sure” he noted “This move...it’s a big deal, Maia, and I want to make sure that you know what you’re doing. I want to be sure that you’re sure about this” he added, his tone growing slightly more serious.

Maia frowned. “You think I don’t know what I am doing?” she posed.

Hector let out another soft sigh. “I didn’t mean it like that” he noted “I just...it is hard for me, Maia. I know that you have to go. I know that you and Iker, you two are supposed to be together, and I am thrilled that things are going so well for the two of you, but the idea of you not being a couple of hours away...it’s a thought I don’t like very much” he added, shaking his head.

Maia’s expression softened, something which made Hector shake his head, his hand gently patting her shoulder. “I know that you’ve thought this through” he noted “I mean, it is you after all and I know you’ve never done anything without thinking it through before, but I guess I am going to miss you and the children. Heck, I even think I’ll miss Iker too” he added, a nervous laugh falling out of his mouth.

Maia scoffed playfully. “You know you love him really” she quipped softly.

Hector smiled. “He’s not the worst guy you could have gotten pregnant by” he quipped with a small nonchalant shrug.

Maia rolled her eyes. “He’s a good guy, papa” she noted.

“He is” Hector agreed “And I have a lot of faith in him to keep making you happy” he added.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink, something which made Hector’s grin grow slightly before he pushed himself up to his feet, placing a soft kiss against her forehead. “I should get back out into the living room” he noted “If I leave your mother to her own devices for much longer, you’ll never be packed in time” he teased before he ducked out of the room.

Maia watched him out of the door briefly before the sound of Charlie’s snuffles reached her ears, causing her to turn her attention towards the crib. Quirking a small smile, she watched as the little boy woke himself up slightly before she leant over, gently lifting him up into her arms. “You’re OK” she murmured softly “Mama’s got you” she added.

Charlie stirred a little, letting out a soft whine, before he gently rested his head against her chest, something which made Maia’s smile widen a fraction before she dipped down, kissing the top of his head gently. “You know, baba” she murmured quietly “As much as I am looking forwards to seeing your papa again, I am going to miss it here. I know that I have travelled a lot, before I met your papa and had you and your big sister, I used to travel all over the place, but this is home and I am going to miss it, even if I am excited about starting something new. This place is pretty special to me” she added, her voice wavering slightly. It hadn’t hit her before, since Iker had departed, a lot of her focus had been on the idea of the two of them being reunited, but the conversation with her father, twinned with the plethora of cardboard boxes, had brought the idea that she was leaving to the forefront of her thoughts, something which upset her slightly. She knew that it was the right decision, having already let Iker go once, she was in no hurry to repeat it, but still the idea of leaving upset her. It was her home and the idea of leaving it stung slightly.

Sniffling slightly, she lightly adjusted the material of Charlie’s sleepsuit before the sound of her phone reached her ears, causing her to let out a small snuffly laugh. “Your papa has a wonderful sense of timing” she quipped as she lifted the phone into her hand, her blue eyes quickly spotting Iker’s name on the screen. Wiping her eyes, she smiled to herself softly before she pressed the phone to her ear, greeting Iker warmly. She knew that it would hurt, the idea of leaving Porto was one which had a lump in her throat, but she knew that it was the right call. She didn’t want to lose what she and Iker had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)