Where We Are

72: You Felt It Too

“Did your flight get in on time?”

Maia, who was curled up on the couch, smiled at the fussing tone of her mother’s voice, her fingers happily playing with the ends of her hair. It had been a long day, with Maia having spent a lot of it travelling, she found herself more than slightly tired, and she was pleased to have a few minutes of quiet, even if she was likely to spend them on the phone to her mother. She was grateful that things had calmed down slightly. It still felt a little odd, the idea that the house she sat in was now her home was one which still felt strange to her, but she was glad to be there, even if it wasn’t the same as her apartment back in Porto, she was simply glad that her little family were back together again.

“We landed when we expected to land” Maia replied gently.

“And the flight was OK?” Caroline pressed.

Maia rolled her eyes, a grin still playing on her lips. “It was fine, mama” she mused “I mean, Charlie and Ella were both slightly fussy, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. The flight was fine, the landing was fine, and Iker was waiting for us when we touched down. We’re OK” she insisted with a soft laugh. She wasn’t surprised by the phone call, when she had moved to board her flight in Portugal, her mother had been quick to insist that she would call once Maia had reached her new home, but still it made the brunette smile, even if her mother’s fussing wasn’t necessary. She had little doubt that she would have to sit through a few more fussing phone calls in the coming days.

“Are you sure?” Carolina asked “Your papa said that you were a little tearful” she added.

Maia shook her head, gently pulling her knees up towards her chest. “I was a little tearful” she admitted “The idea of leaving really hit me this morning when I was stood in my empty apartment, and I got a little choked up, but it’s fine, mama, I promise” she insisted gently.

Carolina was quiet for a moment before she sighed down the line. “It’s going to take some getting used to” she murmured.

“It is” Maia agreed “But we’ll get there, right?” she posed.

“Of course” Carolina mused warmly “I should let you go. We’ll speak in a couple of days?” she posed.

“Of course we will” Maia noted “We’ll have to video call so that you can see Ella and Charlie” she added.

“I’d love that” Carolina mused.

“I’ll speak to you soon, mama” Maia mused before she hung up the phone, moving to stow it in the pocket of the sweatshirt she wore.

Leaning back into the couch, she stretched her legs out ahead of her with a yawn before the sound of a laugh reached her ears, causing her to startle slightly before she lifted her head, her blue eyes quickly landing on Iker who stood in the doorway, a warm smile on his lips. “Tired?” he posed impishly.

Maia shrugged. “The flight took something out of me” she noted “I know it wasn’t very long, but with two screaming children....” she trailed off as another yawn fell out of her mouth.

Iker watched her for a second, smiling a little at the sight of her yawn, before he stepped deeper into the room, sitting down on the couch before he lifted her feet, settling them in his lap. “There’s nothing stopping you from heading upstairs” he murmured “If you need to get some sleep, our bedroom is the first door on the left” he explained.

Maia lifted an eyebrow, a playful smile appearing on her lips. “Are you trying to get rid of me already?” she posed.

Iker shook his head. “Of course not” he mused “But you’ve had a pretty long day and I was offering you the opportunity to head upstairs and get some sleep. I was just trying to be a good boyfriend” he added, holding his hands up playfully.

Maia offered him a small look before she shook her head, a soft laugh falling out of her mouth. “I’m fine” she noted “And when I get too tired, I will go up to bed, but right now, I was thinking I could spend a little time catching up with you. How are things going?” she asked.

Iker shrugged. “It’s not my first time being the new guy” he noted “So I am not as awkward as I was when I first arrived at Porto, but it’s still a little odd. My teammates have been good, the staff too, and I think it’s going Ok. They’ve even got me taking Italian lessons” he added.

“You’re learning Italian?” Maia posed.

Iker nodded. “I am” he noted “I mean, it’s a work in progress, but I’ve learnt a few words here and there” he added with a proud grin.

Maia admired his smile for a second before she gently reached her hand up, pushing it back through his dark hair. “I missed you” she murmured quietly, disturbing the brief silence which had passed between them.

Iker leant into her hand slightly before he turned his head, pressing a soft kiss against the inside of her wrist. “I know the feeling” he mumbled.

Maia smiled gently at the feel of his lips against her skin before she tilted her head, resting it against the back of the couch as a few strands of her dark hair fell over her face, a sight which made Iker shake his head before he reached his hand out, gently tucking the hair behind her ear. “Are you doing OK?” he posed quietly.

Maia frowned. “Why wouldn’t I be?” she posed.

“I overheard you talking to your madre” Iker mused “And I got a text from your padre just after you boarded your flight. He said that you were a little upset. Is it something that you want to talk about?” he posed, his voice softening slightly. He wasn’t surprised by the idea that she was upset, for her, leaving Porto was a bigger deal than it was for him, and he wanted to ensure that she was doing alright. He wanted to offer her comfort.

Maia shook her head, a small laugh falling out of her mouth. “I should have known he’d text you” she muttered.

Iker smiled. “He is your papa” he pointed out “And he worries” he added.

Maia rolled her eyes. “I’m fine” she murmured “It hit me that I was leaving, and it made me a little tearful, but it’s nothing. It’s new, Iker, actually living somewhere other than there rather than just visiting for a few weeks is new to me, and it’s something that’s going to take some getting used to. You must have felt the same way when you left Madrid, no?” she posed.

Iker nodded. “It was the strangest feeling” he mused “But I did get used to it, even if I was homesick for a few weeks. It got easier” he added, offering her a soft smile.

Maia marveled at his smile before she nodded her head. “It’s just going to take some time” she mused.

Iker nodded. “Of course” he noted “And if there is anything I can do to make it easier on you, let me know. I’d do it happily” he insisted warmly.

Maia smiled at the warmth in his voice before she edged forwards, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “I know” she murmured “But right now, I am probably going to head upstairs. Is that alright?” she posed.

Iker let out a small chuckle before he nodded. “Of course it is” he noted “Buenos noches, Maia” he added.

Maia flashed him a small smile before she pushed herself up to her feet, padding out of the room.

Iker watched her out of the door before he leant back into the couch, wordlessly hoping that Maia settled in quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)